Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #31
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Day one- over 1000 members, 1000 posts, and almost 1000 images- more than I could ever hope for! Guess you guys really like the new forum software and the atmosphere
i like everything except the forum layout/design. I'm so used to the clean, and simple layout of the 'classic' board style here, that I just feel lost and confused trying to navigate the forums. I also don't care for dark forum styles in general. I can't make any comments on the community as of yet, but there are certainly a number of very interesting and great board additions I really like, especially the 'pop up' member profile box when you click on a user avatar. a great way to quickly see member info, that I think should be incorporated here.

01-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,447
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
i like everything except the forum layout/design. I'm so used to the clean, and simple layout of the 'classic' board style here, that I just feel lost and confused trying to navigate the forums. I also don't care for dark forum styles in general. I can't make any comments on the community as of yet, but there are certainly a number of very interesting and great board additions I really like, especially the 'pop up' member profile box when you click on a user avatar. a great way to quickly see member info, that I think should be incorporated here.
Adam: +1 the exciting start and on the general Forum uptake!!

+1 on skin / color scheme. With my vision I really have trouble using the Forum - same goes for my new Adobe software. Gray/Gray/Black doesn't wor well for many people who have trouble with contrast
01-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,560
Original Poster
The software I'm using over there is a lot more modern in many ways as what we have here, but it's not customized nearly as much. In the distant future I'd definitely like to modernize things, but re-writing the equipment databases, marketplace system, and all that jazz will take a lot of time and effort.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #34
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,447
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The software I'm using over there is a lot more modern in many ways as what we have here, but it's not customized nearly as much. In the distant future I'd definitely like to modernize things, but re-writing the equipment databases, marketplace system, and all that jazz will take a lot of time and effort.
Well you know how it is. People always take the good stuff for granted and complain about the one little thing that bothers them. Like many Chicken Littles here.

C-E should be a really interesting Forum. Glad I was able to join at the start.

01-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #35
Pentaxian
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,875
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well you know how it is. People always take the good stuff for granted and complain about the one little thing that bothers them. Like many Chicken Littles here.

C-E should be a really interesting Forum. Glad I was able to join at the start.
that is the one thing that really feels different to me, chicken little hasn't migrated

I like the new site alot (apparently as I've outposted Adam over there lol, i need to get back to working and off the forums for a bit it think)
01-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 535
I like the site. The only problem I've encountered is the link to the site doesn't work in my email notifications.
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 535
To expand upon what Eddie and others have mentioned, the atmosphere over there is very civil, but it won't last. Pimple-faced and disgruntled people emboldened by the anonymity of the internet are bound to find and try to disrupt it. There is very little administrators can do about it, but members can do a lot by not taking the bait. If something is obviously a personal attack, don't justify it with a reply. That's exactly what they want, and if they can't get it, they go elsewhere.
01-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #38
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
CMS software I've written myself
I know this isn't the place for this, but as a fellow web developer, what CMS did you build?

01-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
Pentaxian
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,875
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
To expand upon what Eddie and others have mentioned, the atmosphere over there is very civil, but it won't last. Pimple-faced and disgruntled people emboldened by the anonymity of the internet are bound to find and try to disrupt it. There is very little administrators can do about it, but members can do a lot by not taking the bait. If something is obviously a personal attack, don't justify it with a reply. That's exactly what they want, and if they can't get it, they go elsewhere.
agreed, with all the other button options at the bottom of posts there needs to be a troll button. get enough troll hits and the account is closed works for me
01-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,560
Original Poster
The new site has post ratings - if there's a troll, give them negative ratings!

We'll do our best to keep those people off the site, even if it means excluding them entirely. Right now, there seems to be a good blend of Pentax, Canon, and Nikon users, and nobody's yelling at each other!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #41
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,560
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnie0674 Quote
I know this isn't the place for this, but as a fellow web developer, what CMS did you build?
The homepages here and at camera-enthusiast are both custom-built. I'm also trying to design a simple, next-gen web framework and these homepages are my sandboxes for that Once that's developed, I will be working on a generic CMS product that others can download and use for free and integrate with their forums.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #42
Pentaxian
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,875
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The new site has post ratings - if there's a troll, give them negative ratings!

We'll do our best to keep those people off the site, even if it means excluding them entirely. Right now, there seems to be a good blend of Pentax, Canon, and Nikon users, and nobody's yelling at each other!
So far i haven't needed it (whether someone needed it for me is another issue) But I will say that so far all the things i love about PF are there and none of the stuff i hate. And the broader community is really nice to see. I'm sure the mods will see the trolls when they come and address it as much as they can. Excellent mod team over there as well Adam
01-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #43
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,900
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm sure the mods will see the trolls when they come and address it as much as they can. Excellent mod team over there as well Adam
That would be me, in part. I'm on the team there and I'll do my best. Door's always open if you need help.
01-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
PF has an excellent mobile version of the site - it would be great to make one for CE as well.
01-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,560
Original Poster
Coming in Q2 (although the homepage already has a mobile version).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
site, users
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie to site, not to Pentax jalemusk Welcomes and Introductions 2 07-28-2011 06:09 PM
K-5 Firmware v1.03 on Pentax Japan site nixifo Pentax K-5 292 03-18-2011 12:36 PM
Problem with Pentax site? shuie Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 12-05-2010 03:27 PM
K-5 presentation on Pentax japanese site fs999 Pentax News and Rumors 12 10-12-2010 04:40 AM
Pentax K-5 Web Site bobmaxja Pentax K-5 36 10-07-2010 04:56 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top