Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Nokia N8 is reportedly tops as far as cell phone cams. I am thinking of getting one for that reason, because I always have a phone with me and it's easier than carrying a compact all the time.

01-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
cool idea Jay, I take a lot of pictures with my droid x but not usually for photographic reasons. Usually Its just used to document things....

Tanner I remember seeing that in your flickr stream and going. "wow." Doesn't get much better than that for DSLR shooters, much less phone shooters, great, great job there.
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well done Jay.
Good idea.
Recently got the iPhone 4, and overlooking the grain of most of the images, they turn out OK:

I like the HDR option, and the ease of the camera use on the phone.
The DR is far too limiting to me, though.
The DR is very limiting, not helped by the fact that we only have jpeg. But DR is what the big cameras are for, I guess

Nice shots, I especially liked the landscape.
01-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I have the iphone4 and my 16 yr old son the Samsung Galaxy S2 - the Samsung simply kicks its ass in the photo dept - some snaps from my son

Very impressive Lighthouse shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
For this very reason I purchased an Eye-Fi (mobile) card for my Oly Pen. I hate the camera in my phone and I hate having no controls like a point and shoot - so I use a small form factor MFT's and the card auto transfers the files to my phones storage for me to put up on Facebook, or to email/text to others. The files transfer over in about 10 seconds and do so automatically whenever a pic is taken.

c[_]

P.S. Great thread idea Jay!
Thanks, The Pen series with an Eye-Fi is going to be a pretty great combo for that, lucky you

01-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I use my phone(s) to take pictures wherever I go!
For example:
Superb series, impressive results with both phones.
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
The Nokia N8 is reportedly tops as far as cell phone cams. I am thinking of getting one for that reason, because I always have a phone with me and it's easier than carrying a compact all the time.
Really hoping Nokia do an update handset with this camera module, even market it as a specialized camera phone, include some specialty apps as it won't have access to Android and Windows doesn't have the app catalogue yet.

I used to sell to N8 and customers loved the build and the camera but it had such a high return rate, the operating system was archaic and very glitchy and sluggish. Too bad they didn't get the same module into the N900 which is said to be a dream to use.

BTW alot of people don't realize but the N8 has a built in tripod!!! Well aslong as there is a flat even surface it will stand on its end- clever!

Last edited by Tonto; 01-08-2012 at 08:38 PM.
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Here's one from just after sunset this evening:

Here's one I got while rinsing a mug out this afternoon

Here are some oldies/goodies from my iphone 3Gs from last summer - camera in that is vastly inferior to 4s, but still helps meet the "f/8 and be there" philosophy:

01-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is great, some amazing stuff here. You folks take better pics with your phones than I have ever taken with my DSLR! Actually this thread is kind of depressing.
01-08-2012, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #24
Inactive Account

General call to smartphone manufacturers.

Just once have a phone with decent onboard memory AND a SD card accessible without taking the cover off. So I can back up my memory card
Of course the problem is every phone is restricted to microSD but that can be solved by using one an adapter in camera.

Alternatively allow for USB host/ Wifi Host on the phone, the latter which is happening more which is good to see, it does mean you need to bring along a cable or have the likes of a Wifi capable camera with you.

Xenon flash- LED flashes plain suck. I understand the reasoning of having an LED flash- no capacitor required, smaller size, cheaper, compatible as a video light.
But I feel Camera phones more than any camera device benefit from having a good flash. Reason is the puny sensors will always have poor high ISO performance especially as it is more prone to hand shake due to how you hold a phone. Additionally the very nature of a phone is you take it out to social situations with you more- eg afterwork drinks/birthdays/nightouts/events. All of which comonly occur at night and indoors. Also you get plenty of the one hand, arm length self shot which are especially prone to shake at low light levels
(reflective backs on phones were cool for this allowing to compose your self shot much better than those tiny parabolic mirrors you used to get on some phones - also good for the ladies makeup duties )

More Macro/Landscape features please! - reason that tiny sensor has one benefit, Huge depth of field!

Last edited by Tonto; 01-08-2012 at 08:57 PM.
01-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I like.
01-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Yup those cell photos have my latest SLR staying firmly on my harddrive, lol.
01-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Yes the shots all look fantastic - especially when downsized and NR'd for the web - viewing them full size on a 24" monitor reveals a different story however

I gave my son my D7000 with the nifty 35 on it, set to F5.6 and ISO 400 and sent him off to go shoot.

No contest - he has now seen the light - lol

He really got some great images
01-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Yes the shots all look fantastic - especially when downsized and NR'd for the web - viewing them full size on a 24" monitor reveals a different story however

I gave my son my D7000 with the nifty 35 on it, set to F5.6 and ISO 400 and sent him off to go shoot.

No contest - he has now seen the light - lol

He really got some great images
Yep, there's no way a phone will hold up to close inspection compared to a DSLR (I would hope ) A few of these do look pretty good printed at 8x10, though. Sized for web + printed 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10 us probably 99% of photographic output.

IMO where they really fall down is not IQ in good light, but in bad, and performance.

But absolutely no device is with you more than your phone. I think that makes it the most ubiquitous photographic tool ever invented.
01-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I use my phone(s) to take pictures wherever I go!
For example:
Nokia N95

Sony Ericsson W995:

iPhone 4:

Great photos Zav!

Here's one from my Samsung Galaxy S2, given a B&W treatment and cropped in camera:

01-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilight_samurai Quote
Great photos Zav!

Here's one from my Samsung Galaxy S2, given a B&W treatment and cropped in camera:
Really like that, like how you caught the light on the one plane.