Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Banned

Canon PowerShot G1 X Hands-on Preview

QuoteQuote:
Incorporating Canon-developed technologies and expertise trusted by professionals worldwide, the PowerShot G1 X offers a level of image quality previously only possible with a Canon DSLR. It's Canon's first compact camera to feature a large, 4:3 aspect, 14.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor measuring 18.7mm x 14mm – similar in height to the APS-C sensors used within EOS DSLR models. Featuring the same pixel size and structure as the EOS 600D, and a surface area approximately 6.3 times larger than the sensor in the acclaimed PowerShot G12, it provides DSLR image quality in a body small enough to carry anywhere.
Preview: Canon PowerShot G1X large sensor zoom compact: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
Anyone watching the emergence of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras will have spent much of the last year patiently waiting for Canon and Nikon to show their hands. Nikon clearly decided such cameras didn't need large sensors, and now it appears Canon has concluded they don't need interchangeable lenses. Both these moves make sense for companies wanting dedicated photographers to keep buying DSLRs, but Canon's approach is likely to be of more interest to those enthusiasts.

The Canon PowerShot G1 X may look like the company's existing G-series compacts, but is a very different prospect. It's a large sensor camera with a flexible 28-112mm-equivalent, 4x zoom lens and extensive manual controls. The company says it sees it as a camera for photographers who already have a high end DSLR such as a 5D Mark II or 7D, but at a price of $799, we think it'll appeal much more widely than that. After repeated waves of cameras aimed at point-and-shoot upgraders, it's heartening to see a camera really living up to the billing of a 'serious compact.'

The sensor in the G1 X is 18.7 x 14mm, which means it's 20% smaller than the sensors Canon uses in most of its DSLRs. However it's slightly larger than the Four Thirds size used by Olympus and Panasonic, and more than 4x the area of the Fujifilm X10's sensor. Noticeably, its pixel count is also around 20% lower than the 18MP chips in those cameras - supporting Canon's assertion that its design is closely related, with the same underlying pixel design. This can only bode well, given the high quality results that cameras such as the EOS 7D can produce.
Canon PowerShot G1 X Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

The G1 X's sensor is 20% smaller than in most Canon DSLRs, but that still makes it 16% larger than Four Thirds, more than twice the size of the sensor in Nikon's 1 cameras and over six times the size of the sensors in previous Canon G-series compacts.

01-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Inactive Account

and Pentax made the Q
01-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks a little large...for a "small camera"? The IQ should be pretty nice though.
Regards
01-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
and Pentax made the Q
At least the Q is the smallest interchangeable lens camera. I would take the GX1 over the G1 X since I could use my MFT & Pentax lenses on it.

Last edited by jogiba; 01-09-2012 at 08:06 AM.
01-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Considering how well the G and S Canons have done with the smaller sensors, I bet this one with a bigger than 4/3 sensor will be a great option for many people as their only camera. Any idea of the price?

EDIT: But oh boy with all the current X models! G1X. GX1, Pro X 1, X10, XXXXXXxxxxxxxx. I certainly mix them up in my mind.
01-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

It's new version of prosumer with bigger sensor. Not too good. Not too bad. Normal.
The interesting and compact replacement of old Sony R-1.

R-1 had 24-120/2.8-4.8 with sensor size 21.5 x 14.4 mm
G1X has 28-112/2.8-5.8 with sensor size 18.7 x 14 mm
Sony had 1.67x crop. G1X - 1.85x crop.
01-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This was a pleasant surprise, I was expecting the rumors to be wrong and we'd end up with another tiny-sensor compact. Kudos to Canon for doing something interesting for once.

Question is, will Fuji steal the thunder tonight?

01-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Question is, will Fuji steal the thunder tonight?
It probably will. However, I'm also waiting to see what Samsung's NX20 is like and if they'll release something else as well.
01-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Interesting produce from Canon. It'll be interesting to see who buys it, because those people willing to shell out $800 for a camera of this quality is also likely to know the advantages of having interchangeable lenses. The Panny GX1 is smaller with the 14-42X, and can be turned into a low-light monster with the addition of the 20/1.7, 24/1.4, or 45/1.8. That's something the Canon can't do....
01-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The big trouble is Panasonic has no built-in VF. I would prefer Canon G1X.
01-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good for Pentax! *yeah* I hope for a wheathersealed EVIL from Pentax allowing me to use my Pentax lenses....
01-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
ogl
Banned

OVF of G1 X is rather small as I understand from preview...And close to OVF of old G serie cameras.
01-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like an excellent companion to anyone's DSLR

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
The big trouble is Panasonic has no built-in VF. I would prefer Canon G1X.
If you need a VF then you can buy one separately for the GX1, or just buy Panasonic G3 with an EVF and a flip-twist screen.
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Looks like a pretty sweet camera. One thing that strikes me as disappointing is that the lens is f 2.8 - 5.8. I wish they could have done something like the fuji x 10 (?) where the lens goes from 2.0 - 2.8. I don't necessarily need 2.0 but I would have preferred a faster aperture than 5.8! I'm looking forward to the in depth reviews.

- Sam