Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Banned

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Hands-on Preview

QuoteQuote:
Fujifilm X-Pro1 highlights

The X-Pro1 is the start of an all-new camera system, with a brand new mount and lenses. It's unashamedly targeted at a high-end audience, with analogue control dials and a small set of compact, large-aperture primes to be available at launch. Fujifilm is keen to stress its future commitment to the system, with a promise of two more lenses to appear later in 2012. Key features are:
•Fujifilm-designed 16MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS sensor
•Novel colour filter array to suppress colour moiré, no optical low-pass filter
•EXR Processor Pro image processor
•Dual-magnification hybrid optical / electronic viewfinder
•Analogue dials for shutter speed and exposure compensation on top of camera
•All-new, fully electronic X lens mount; 17.7mm flange-to-sensor distance
•Three 'XF' lenses at launch: XF 18mm F2 R, XF 35mm F1.4 R, and XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
•Prime lenses have traditional-style aperture rings (1/3 stop increments) and large manual focus rings
•Revised rear-panel control layout
•On-screen 'Q' control panel and redesigned tabbed menu system
•Focal-plane shutter, 1/4000 sec max speed
•3.0" RGBW 1.23K dot LCD.
Fujifilm XPro-1 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

01-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #2

This is one sexy little camera! I really like the analogue controls.
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
The top front looks rather plain and vulnerable to fingerprints. They managed to make aluminum alloy look like cheap black plastic there. I wonder why they didn't make it silver instead - it would have looked much better that way.

I also wonder what the macro button does - does it adjust the optical viewfinder for close focusing distances?

I like that the lenses have aperture rings.

A nice camera - it will be interesting to see how this system will expand.
01-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Oog
Forum Member

Yummy! Metal lenses, aperture rings, and a metal shutter speed dial! Classic!

(Pentax/Ricoh, are you listening?)

01-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax should have released a camera like this (LX-D or MX-D) in a retro style,along with a trio of lenses that have aperture rings.

And I could only dream that they would have included a the aperture coupling in the K-mount.

Pentax really needs to get something in the market that appeals to photographers. Fuji is onto their third niche camera, and they are really looking like they will change the market.
01-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Pentax should have released a camera like this (LX-D or MX-D) in a retro style,along with a trio of lenses that have aperture rings.
Ohhhh yes. That would have been awesome. Should then be wheathersealed, too.

I stopped any investments in Pentax unless we get a clear indication where they are heading...
01-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Pentax really needs to get something in the market that appeals to photographers. Fuji is onto their third niche camera, and they are really looking like they will change the market.
With hybrid viewfinder? LOL. They put this into their bodies because they cannot compete with Sony in the EVF area, not because it's better. I always wonder of people who loves this thing with parallax issue.
It's more hype making company.

01-10-2012, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
With hybrid viewfinder? LOL. They put this into their bodies because they cannot compete with Sony in the EVF area, not because it's better. I always wonder of people who loves this thing with parallax issue.
Believe it or not, some of us actually like the idea of the light coming straight through to our eyes and are totally put off by the notion of looking at the scene indirectly via an electronic screen.
01-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My advice: it's even better without any viewfinder
01-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
You realize the Hybrid viewfinder was released first, so Sony's EVF was actually a response to it, right? Because otherwise you just sound like a know-nothing fanboy.
01-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
Fujifilm : Canon = high quality Nikon = low quality

Last edited by jogiba; 01-10-2012 at 06:16 AM.
01-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The review says LensStabilized ..."when available"........are these three lenses offered as starters stabilized? Having been used to the SR my Pentax bodies, I can't see living without it in some manner, either body or lens.
Regards!
01-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The review says LensStabilized ..."when available"........are these three lenses offered as starters stabilized? Having been used to the SR my Pentax bodies, I can't see living without it in some manner, either body or lens.
Regards!
The future zoom lenses will be stabilized, according to mirrorless rumors here: Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | The Fuji X lens roadmap! (Amazon lists the Fuji stuff but with no price)

The primes are not stabilized. However they are very fast, which IMHO is better than stabilization.
01-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

18mm aka 28mm is now so old school

For me 24mm is the new 28mm and way better for travel photography.
01-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Looks like a huge hype to me. I don't see anything on this camera that couldn't be done with a good K-5.