Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Well thats where it get complicated, the things I like with canon are lacking in Nikon and the things I like with Nikon are lacking with Canon :ugh:

Im not planing on jumping to FF yet, Im just trying to work out which road I want to take when the time comes.
Well.. it's either Pentax or Leica or Hass then right ?

I find those pictures quite enlightening and there's no way I'd buy any of those lenses after seeing those octagons.

01-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
LOL well it wont be Lecia, Lecia owners are snob's (flame on )

But back on topic, I would like a FF Canon but there lenses are a turn-off, could just use Sigma glass or even Pentax.
01-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Example of octagon bokeh from the Canon 135mm f/2 L (8 rounded blades)
shot at f/2.2-

These canon lenses are fine wide open, but 1/3 stopped down.....yuck!!
That effect is not caused by aperture blades, but buy vignetting in a fast lens design (cat's eye effect). You can see this in the noctillux and others also. You probably won't get it on a 1.5crop. Bokeh qualities are much more than how a lens does with Christmas tree lights. I find that very overused and boring myself. Good luck finding the perfect lens. If the canon 85mm f1.2, 50mm f1.2, or 135mm f2 don't foot your boat, I think you will have a hard journey. :-)
01-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

LOL well it wont be Lecia, Lecia owners are snob's (flame on )

But back on topic, I would like a FF Canon but there lenses are a turn-off, could just use Sigma glass or even Pentax.
Well, maybe they are snobs but that has nothing to do with the actual hardware.

01-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
That effect is not caused by aperture blades, but buy vignetting in a fast lens design (cat's eye effect). You can see this in the noctillux and others also. You probably won't get it on a 1.5crop. Bokeh qualities are much more than how a lens does with Christmas tree lights. I find that very overused and boring myself. Good luck finding the perfect lens. If the canon 85mm f1.2, 50mm f1.2, or 135mm f2 don't foot your boat, I think you will have a hard journey. :-)
Hmm.. that Christmas tree lights comment gave you away.... envy maybe?
01-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know there is more to bokeh than the highlights, but this thread is aimed at a diccusion of the highlights and the way the apertures behave when stopped down a touch, FWIW two of those three examples I posted were on a 1.6 crop

Dont worry I will find the perfect lens, but it wont be in the Canon camp

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Well, maybe they are snobs but that has nothing to do with the actual hardware.
Agreed, I have nothing agaisnt their nice hardware, its just the owners
01-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I know there is more to bokeh than the highlights, but this thread is aimed at a diccusion of the highlights and the way the apertures behave when stopped down a touch, FWIW two of those three examples I posted were on a 1.6 crop

Dont worry I will find the perfect lens, but it wont be in the Canon camp

Agreed, I have nothing agaisnt their nice hardware, its just the owners
I don't like Merc, BMW or Ferrari drivers either.... WTF do they think they are anyway?

01-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Hmm.. that Christmas tree lights comment gave you away.... envy maybe?
Envy of what? I use a pentax 50mm f1.4 on my FF canon, I was just trying to explain the cat's eye effect. If you have a fast lens wide open or close to it on 135mm format you will probably see it even on a leica.
01-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Here is a good old thread with some good bokeh info. If anyone is really interested. Too bad some of the images are gone. There are some with the weird onion skin effect from aspherical elements too. Another thing to watch out for if you like OOF blobs of light.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/17970-bokeh-sp...ng-result.html
01-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Envy of what? I use a pentax 50mm f1.4 on my FF canon, I was just trying to explain the cat's eye effect. If you have a fast lens wide open or close to it on 135mm format you will probably see it even on a leica.
I guess I don't understand. Two of my favorite lenses -- 100mm f2.8 WR and DA *55 f1.4 have significantly better out of focus rendering stopped down than the posted examples. And they are plenty sharp too. To me, that maybe one of the biggest reasons why I would eventually get rid of my Sigma 30mm f1.4 and get Pentax FA 31 -- the Sigma can just give pretty jarring out of focus areas at times.

DA *55 at f2.

01-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I don't understand. Two of my favorite lenses -- 100mm f2.8 WR and DA *55 f1.4 have significantly better out of focus rendering stopped down than the posted examples. And they are plenty sharp too. To me, that maybe one of the biggest reasons why I would eventually get rid of my Sigma 30mm f1.4 and get Pentax FA 31 -- the Sigma can just give pretty jarring out of focus areas at times.

DA *55 at f2.
You can't go wrong with the 31mm IMO
Here is a really good link on some bokeh measurements and it has some sigma info too:
On Bokeh
01-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 31 has nice bokeh indeed. This is how it looks against the M35/2 & EF-S17-55/2.8 (although I have found the Canon excels on flare control and has slight edge on f8 sharpness).

Index of /wlachan/35mmtests/bokeh
01-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The envy that arises from not having your own Christmas Tree lights maybe
01-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The 31 has nice bokeh indeed. This is how it looks against the M35/2 & EF-S17-55/2.8 (although I have found the Canon excels on flare control and has slight edge on f8 sharpness).

Index of /wlachan/35mmtests/bokeh
Seems like that ES-S 17-55 is sharper in the center than the 31 also. And if it has better flare control....

But bokeh on the 31 is smoother than the Canon or the M35, that's a definite.
01-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Seems like that ES-S 17-55 is sharper in the center than the 31 also. And if it has better flare control....

But bokeh on the 31 is smoother than the Canon or the M35, that's a definite.
For other comparisons you have to go one directory up.
Index of /wlachan/35mmtests