Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon lenses; why only 8 blades?

Ive been looking at lenses alot lately from both Nikon and Canon, just checking out prices and specs, and what I would choose when I jump to FF.

One thing Ive noticed (only been looking at the primes) is that alot of canon lenses even the "L" glass has only 8 blades, what gives?
Where as the Nikon lenses have 9 blades in alot of their lenses.

Ive seen pics from the 50mm f/1.2 stopped down to just f/1.6 and ugly octagon bokeh higlights has started to appear . Why arnt they giving these lenses 9 blades?

Just based on apertures blades, the Nikon lenses look more appealling.

01-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #2

Hi,

I have been doing the same kind of research lately. Nikon seems to be more about primes, but on the other hand, Canon has some very nice glass as well. There is a very nice gallery from Joseph James, who shoots Canon 5D mark I, with Canon´s prime offerings. They seem to deliver! Especially I like the rendering of EF 100/2, which is quite affordable lens...

Have a look here: joe's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

There´s plenty of pictures to see some real life samples of what these lenses can do.
01-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

When comparing lenses, i.e. what you would use when you jump on FF, you should take the wheight into consideration as well. I had a 5D at home and built up a comparable lens setup (in excel). Then I realized, that I would have to carry more than 1,5kg more while also having a bigger equipment in terms of size. Moreover, I'd loose the stabilization and wheather resistance. Hence, I sold the 5D and kept my K5.

You'll find my comparison (unfortunately in German) here, with the table and comparison shots: click

Last edited by Sinister; 01-11-2012 at 05:18 AM.
01-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #4

Interesting comparison Sinister!

Pentax is of course very good in making small, rugged bodies and lenses. I have all the FA limiteds and I´m very pleased with them. Unfortunately Pentax doesn´t offer a full-frame camera to use them. Sure, I shoot film Pentax as well, but I would like to move into digital FF. And I wouldn´t mind carrying some extra weight for the gains in IQ and the much debated "FF-look".

01-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Just based on apertures blades, the Nikon lenses look more appealling.
Not sure about Sony but Minolta used to be big on bokeh and round aperture. Personally I am not too bothered by the shape, but rather, the symmetry when stopped down.
01-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Pentax is of course very good in making small, rugged bodies and lenses. I have all the FA limiteds and I´m very pleased with them. Unfortunately Pentax doesn´t offer a full-frame camera to use them. Sure, I shoot film Pentax as well, but I would like to move into digital FF. And I wouldn´t mind carrying some extra weight for the gains in IQ and the much debated "FF-look".
I think at least the FA43/77 won't be good on FF so the urge of using them on FF is minimal. Will look at the coming X Pro1 closely. If their fast primes are good and affordable, maybe it's time for me to quit. Dragging heavy equipments can be tiresome as one grows older.
01-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I think at least the FA43/77 won't be good on FF so the urge of using them on FF is minimal. Will look at the coming X Pro1 closely. If their fast primes are good and affordable, maybe it's time for me to quit. Dragging heavy equipments can be tiresome as one grows older.

Well, my experience is quite the opposite! All three work wonderfully at least on film FF.

01-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

and they perform on a Canon 5D as well - you can find examples in the forum!
01-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
Well, my experience is quite the opposite! All three work wonderfully at least on film FF.
My FA Limited were acquired when I was shooting film. I was happy with the 31 & 77, but the 43 showed barrel distortion and weak edge sharpness at 5.6. On APS-C DSLRs, the 43 is awesome from 2.8 but really soft wide open. The 77 has weak non-center sharpness until 4. The 31 remains great. 77 & 31 have CA issue on digital too. I wouldn't really label them as poor overall, but one can do better for the same amount of budget.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
and they perform on a Canon 5D as well - you can find examples in the forum!
Would love to see some full size samples. I have seen some shots from Zeiss lenses on 5DII with awesome sharpness corner to corner. I have yet to see the same kind of quality from Pentax lenses.
01-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My understanding of Pentax lenses, even the best ones from the manual days, is that Pentax focused more on center sharpness than anything else.
01-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
My understanding of Pentax lenses, even the best ones from the manual days, is that Pentax focused more on center sharpness than anything else.
That has been my experience in general, and those lenses are great for snaps, but weak on landscape.
01-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I read on the forum that a lot of the lenses were made more for portraiture, where center sharpness is paramount (and also the bokeh, rendering, etc). Hence why the legendary lenses of Pentax when compared to Leica or Zeiss lenses lose out in corner and edge sharpness, but sometimes exceed in center sharpness.

As for landscapes, stick that FA 50mm F2.8 macro on a full frame and voila, sharpness from corner to corner that beats pretty much anything I can think of.
01-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

But I think time has changed and many portraits are now done off-centre toward wide open. You can tell when the subject just jumps off the picture with razer sharpness and very shallow DOF. It cannot be done with lenses only good at centre sharpness toward wide open.

Lens design is all about compromise; even sharpness, flat field and low distortion are much more difficult to design. I think either the Pentax optical engineers were not up to the jobs, or they didn't spend much resource on designing them, or they simply didn't care, IMHO anyway.
01-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
But I think time has changed and many portraits are now done off-centre toward wide open. You can tell when the subject just jumps off the picture with razer sharpness and very shallow DOF. It cannot be done with lenses only good at centre sharpness toward wide open.

Lens design is all about compromise; even sharpness, flat field and low distortion are much more difficult to design. I think either the Pentax optical engineers were not up to the jobs, or they didn't spend much resource on designing them, or they simply didn't care, IMHO anyway.
I understand that you aren't a big fan of Pentax anything (lenses, cameras, etc), but there are some strong lenses in the line up, including the FA limiteds, the DA limiteds. Clearly Canon also makes good lenses and if a photographer can't take good photos with either line up, it is not the fault of the lenses. On the other hand, bokeh is something that requires special attention in the design process, more than what you indicate in your statement and many lenses with good sharpness (even corner sharpness) do not have good out of focus rendering.
01-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Although there is no objective way of testing bokeh, I think there are 3 basic parameters - aperture shape, evenness & 3D quality (highly subjective imho). People on different forums often brag about the bokeh of their own brands, and one can be confused on what to believe. With my own eyes at least, Pentax lenses in general, tend to produce bright-ring bokeh, or called donut bokeh (or whatever one might like to call it). Also, only a selected few have almost circular aperture when stopped down.

That leaves what we called 3D quality which, I have no idea how to put it. Back when I was shooting film, viewing slides using the Schneider 4X MC was a joy and every slide looked so 3D, Pentax lenses or not. However, those same slides under the Cabin, Nikon or Pentax loupes just looked so flat. When evaluating 3D quality on digital, are we really judging the lenses, the sensors, the monitors, or even the post-processings (in-camera or Photoshop etc)? Did the shooting distances playing tricks on our eyes? Up till now, with my limited experience, the only Pentax lens that produces the "wow" factor is the FA31, on film or digital. The images just look more "lively" (again highly subjective). The FA43 & 77 are just meh. What I have noticed is that people tend to judge a lens by its built quality and peer opinions. Optically however, they don't necessarily suppress the competitions.