Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Banned

Live Q&A with Nikon reveals D4 video shortcomings

QuoteQuote:
Nikon have answered in depth a huge range of video related questions for the new Nikon D4. EOSHD gives you the good, the bad and the ugly…

The good

Real-time noise reduction on the sensor channels during video recording.

Improved light metering, one of the worst things about the D7000 was no proper metering in live view and video mode. However on the D4 there is a live histogram and proper metering.

The bad

To activate 1080p HDMI at 8bit 4-2-2 you have to remove both cards from the camera. No simultaneous recording.

Nikon say that with cards inserted “HDMI is only suitable for monitoring purposes” – so no full HD 4-2-2 for monitoring?

No focus assist when connected to an HDMI monitor

Live view has proper exposure simulation in full manual mode but switches off after 60 minutes to cool the camera.

No dedicated flat / cinema picture profile.

The ugly

The downsampling of the sensor is similar to the Nikon J1, a $499 mirrorless camera. According to Nikon, “subsampling is only along each horizontal video line; there’s no sub-sampling between video lines.
” Frankly this is bloody ridiculous. I’ve seen the results of this on the J1 and it isn’t pretty – sheering on fine diagonal patterns and very soft detail. I expect better from a pro DSLR. With that in mind don’t expect resolution on the D4 to beat the GH2 or Canon 1DX with DIGIC 5.

A worse battery. Apparently regulation changes in Japan have forced a maximum capacity to batteries less than once allowed so the D4 has significantly less battery life than previous models. Expeed 3 is also far more power hungry.
Live Q&A with Nikon reveals D4 video shortcomings | EOSHD.com

01-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A pro dslr like that should be all about taking pictures if you ask me- nice that it's got the 1080p if you need it, but I doubt any professional will consider video performance a deciding factor.
01-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
I agree, Nikon never said the D4 was going to have every feature wanted on every indy film shooters list but has a great set of features for a pro still shooter.

Last edited by jogiba; 01-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.