Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Interesting comparison of NEX-5N and Ricoh GXR with A12 M module

Just found this article today - it was discussed at mflenses. Great comparison and analysis of differences between the behavior of lenses on the two systems.

Cristian Sorega Photography: Ricoh GXR A12-M and Sony NEX-5N Comparison

01-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Just found this article today - it was discussed at mflenses. Great comparison and analysis of differences between the behavior of lenses on the two systems.

Cristian Sorega Photography: Ricoh GXR A12-M and Sony NEX-5N Comparison
Interesting...looks like the Ricoh takes the IQ crown in that comparison. I wonder how the 16MP M-mount will fare.
01-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very interesting review and comparison.
I wonder how Ricoh managed to outperform Sony's flagship NEX camera?
01-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Very interesting review and comparison.
I wonder how Ricoh managed to outperform Sony's flagship NEX camera?
It's a flawed comparison.

Different sensor resolution, for a start.

Also, it's quite possible the lower resolution is masking the softness in the lens.

Using the same approach, I can "prove" that the 6Mp *ist D is "outperforming" the 10Mp K10D, which in turn is "outperforming" the 16Mp K-5 on the FA28-105 lens that I used to own. Put in a much sharper lens, and the story is completely different.

01-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
It's a flawed comparison.

Different sensor resolution, for a start.

Also, it's quite possible the lower resolution is masking the softness in the lens.

Using the same approach, I can "prove" that the 6Mp *ist D is "outperforming" the 10Mp K10D, which in turn is "outperforming" the 16Mp K-5 on the FA28-105 lens that I used to own. Put in a much sharper lens, and the story is completely different.
The difference is too high to be explained with larger pixels. It's well known fact actually ricoh M-mount module is the best choice for leica lenses IQ-wise
01-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
The difference is too high to be explained with larger pixels. It's well known fact actually ricoh M-mount module is the best choice for leica lenses IQ-wise
I am not so sure. Comparisons across sensors with different pixel densities are always problematic. For reference, Steve Huff got into a lot of trouble for comparing the 5N with the 7, and Luminous Landscape also got into strife for comparing the NEX7 with the M9.
01-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For reference, Steve Huff got into a lot of trouble for comparing the 5N with the 7
No. He stated 5N is better choice for using with M-mount wides.
Luminous Landscape also got into strife for comparing the NEX7 with the M9
The LL article is pure BS

01-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow. Ricoh FTW. The 5N is a heck of a camera, so that module is pretty special.

In addition to the improved performance at 100%, the Ricoh also just looks nicer. I'm looking forward to the K-mount version! That should be very nice with the DA pancakes.

The Nokton 40mm shots look like they were takenfrom North Head in Davenport NZ. Lovely, laid-back place.
01-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The LL article is pure BS
LOL - well I think all such comparisons are pretty much BS - they generate fanboy comments, but I wouldn't be basing any purchasing decision off any of them.
01-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Most of can probably be explained by Ricoh using micro-lens layout optimized for M-mount and using a sensor without AA-filter.
01-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Steve Huff did a similiar comparison which I think might have also included NEX 7.
01-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would say the M9 has it beat.

Seriously though, I have been looking a bit at the GXR and it is apparent that it renders Leica glass wonderfully. I think the lack of AA filter helps retain the "character" of the glass too. The NEX-5N is no slouch (and appears to do better than the NEX-7), but the GXR definitely has the edge.
01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I would say the M9 has it beat.
Are you *absolutely* sure?

According to Luminous Landscape, NEX-7 is "better" than the M9 (and they have pictures to prove it)

According to Steve Huff, NEX-5N is "better" than NEX-7 for M-mount (and he has pictures to prove it)

According to this article, RIcoh GXR-M is "better" than NEX-5N (with pictures to prove it)

Therefore, GXR-M is "better" than M9 - if you believe all those claims.
01-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

According to Luminous Landscape, NEX-7 is "better" than the M9 (and they have pictures to prove it)
I said this article is a pure bullshit because it's a pure bullshit. Basically, they compared 24Mp APS-C sensor vs 18/2.25=8Mp APS-C sensor. I have no doubt which one is better (especially in this case, where sony's sensor is few generation newer and surpass kodak's one in almost every aspect but size). So, they just deprived the only advantage of Leica. They should compare M9+Lux 50 vs NEX-7+Lux 35, not M9 vs NEX-7 with 50 Lux and cropping of M9 shots.
01-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

They should compare M9+Lux 50 vs NEX-7+Lux 35, not M9 vs NEX-7 with 50 Lux and cropping of M9 shots.
Actually, they did exactly that in a follow up article, with the same conclusion:
NEX-7 vs M9 Part Deux