Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #211
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Beautiful scene... it's been a long time since my last visit to Washington.
Thank you.

Here are a couple more shots from the same place, this time with the E-M5 and Samyang 7.5mm fisheye. The Samyang is a an amazing lens. So small, so sharp, and so fun. I'll have to try its older SLR sibling on MFT some day to see how it works.

10-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those are lovely landscapes.
10-07-2012, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #214
Banned

Original Poster
I've been waiting for a while to see a third party manufacturer make a modern mirror lens and Tokina has finally did it with their 300/6.3 reflex macro for MFT. This is a manual focus native lens with electric contacts enabling focus assist.

Great compact telephoto. My search for such lens is finally over!

10-08-2012, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #215
Pentaxian

A few from early season back in Tassie. All with the GH2 and CV Nokton 25mm

10-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I've been waiting for a while to see a third party manufacturer make a modern mirror lens and Tokina has finally did it with their 300/6.3 reflex macro for MFT. This is a manual focus native lens with electric contacts enabling focus assist.

Great compact telephoto. My search for such lens is finally over!
thats quite impressive. having equivalent of 600mm reach would be nice as long a iq is decent
10-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #217
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
thats quite impressive. having equivalent of 600mm reach would be nice as long a iq is decent
It's very good. I think it makes old mirror designs on the used market rather obsolete.

Here's another shot:

10-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #218
Pentaxian

GH2 and the oh so sexy m.ZD 75/f1.8

10-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #219
Banned

Original Poster
Some night shots with E-M5 and the Samyang fisheye:

10-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus E1 ..... brings back memories lol. I still love the format. WOW ! Olympus has come a long way since the 5 milion pixel E1 lol Those OMD pics are stunning

10-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #221
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Those OMD pics are stunning
Thanks. Great pose and lighting in your shot.

I really like the E-M5 for night shots. The sensor performance improvements in the past year or so are impressive.

A shot from this evening:

10-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #222
Veteran Member

Thanks. Great pose and lighting in your shot.

I really like the E-M5 for night shots. The sensor performance improvements in the past year or so are impressive.

A shot from this evening:
Thank you How good is the focussing on the MD. Is it fast enough to catch some one walking at you for example ? And will it focus in a dimly lit church ?
And have you tried its flash ability to any extent ? I intend getting either the Fuji or the MD very shortly At the moment the Fuji is in front I think. Mainly for its fast zoom lens as much as anything. I rather hear from some one with personal use in the field than your average review, so I would be very grateful on your true thoughts
10-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #223
Veteran Member

More from the remarkable underated Olympus E1

10-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #224
Banned

Original Poster
How good is the focussing on the MD. Is it fast enough to catch some one walking at you for example ? And will it focus in a dimly lit church ?
Great questions, however, I am a manual focus user and I don't use AF for anything - I just checked that it works after I unpacked the camera. I played a bit with it using the Panasonic 14/2.5 lens and it looked fast and precise. I also liked the touch screen as an interface for selecting the focusing point - I think that is one of the great features of the E-M5 - for manual focus it helps me in two ways: I can select the area to zoom in and I can take a shot without pressing the shutter, which helps avoid vibration. After I ensured that the AF works, I removed the AF lens and I strapped on the manual ones that I had ordered with the camera So I cannot really comment on the performance of the AF in extreme scenarios, but I did read some comments and it sounded like AF-C works best if you set the image mode to vivid - a tip to remember if you try the camera.

And have you tried its flash ability to any extent ? I intend getting either the Fuji or the MD very shortly At the moment the Fuji is in front I think. Mainly for its fast zoom lens as much as anything. I rather hear from some one with personal use in the field than your average review, so I would be very grateful on your true thoughts
I haven't used the flash - I didn't even fire it once to check if it actually works. It's an add on, similar to what the E-PL3 came with, but a bit different in shape. It looks as useful as a built-in flash on a DSLR, which is to say - not very useful. I much preferred the built in flash of the E-PL2 which I could tilt up, to bounce its light. The E-M5 add-on gets raised a bit like a DSLR flash that pops and that's it - I would only use it as a fill flash on bright days. I keep it in the camera bag, but I doubt I'll mount it often.

I am tempted by the X-E1, but I am now thinking I should wait one more year and see if someone will finally produce a FF MILC. I have tons of FF lenses and only 3 APS-C lenses, 2 of which are the kit zooms.
10-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Great questions, however, I am a manual focus user and I don't use AF for anything - I just checked that it works after I unpacked the camera. I played a bit with it using the Panasonic 14/2.5 lens and it looked fast and precise. I also liked the touch screen as an interface for selecting the focusing point - I think that is one of the great features of the E-M5 - for manual focus it helps me in two ways: I can select the area to zoom in and I can take a shot without pressing the shutter, which helps avoid vibration. After I ensured that the AF works, I removed the AF lens and I strapped on the manual ones that I had ordered with the camera So I cannot really comment on the performance of the AF in extreme scenarios, but I did read some comments and it sounded like AF-C works best if you set the image mode to vivid - a tip to remember if you try the camera.

I haven't used the flash - I didn't even fire it once to check if it actually works. It's an add on, similar to what the E-PL3 came with, but a bit different in shape. It looks as useful as a built-in flash on a DSLR, which is to say - not very useful. I much preferred the built in flash of the E-PL2 which I could tilt up, to bounce its light. The E-M5 add-on gets raised a bit like a DSLR flash that pops and that's it - I would only use it as a fill flash on bright days. I keep it in the camera bag, but I doubt I'll mount it often.

I am tempted by the X-E1, but I am now thinking I should wait one more year and see if someone will finally produce a FF MILC. I have tons of FF lenses and only 3 APS-C lenses, 2 of which are the kit zooms.
Thank you so much for the reply. At least it was honest Yes I have my eye on the X e1 myself too. I have very fond memories of Olympus though. I love the formats shape. Far better for composition. Another from the E1