Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8142 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #2761
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Here's another option, but expensive:
Metabones T Speed Booster Ultra 0.71x Adapter for Canon Full-Frame EF-Mount Lens to Micro Four Thirds-Mount Camera

This device is the inverse of a teleconverter = it reduces focal length. A 100mm Canon lens (actual FL) becomes a 71mm lens on an MFT body. It also concentrates light, like a magnifying glass used to concentrate sunlight. Consequently an f2.8 Canon lens effectively becomes an f2 lens when mounted on MFT. The device transfers ALL lens-camera functions BUT, AF will only function with lenses that are physically light-weight because the MFT batteries don't have the power to drive the AF of say a 300mm f4. Also, because the device is actually using more of the lens' image circle, more or less the same amount as is used by an APS-C sensor, BOTH RESOLUTION AND CONTRAST ARE IMPROVED compared to mounting a Canon lens to MFT using a no-lens adapter. Tests by a couple independents have confirmed this is true.

But, the Metabones adapter is expensive. If purchased, however, it opens a world of Canon EF AF prime lenses of modest FL that will mount on an MFT body and retain all functions, including in many cases AF. I use one to use a Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro to MFT. AF does not function, but I have the equivalent of a FF IF-MF 213mm f2 macro.It works!

---------- Post added 08-07-19 at 08:28 AM ----------

If you have followed what I typed above, consider this:

A Canon EF 50mm f1.4 goes for about $270~280 new, about half that for a very clean "previously owned" lens. Mounted on MFT using the Metabones Ultra adapter, it becomes the equivalent of a full-frame 71mm f1.0 (!!) lens. BUT, the Metabones adapter is expensive, about $650~$700. BUT, would you be willing to pay $900 to get a 70mm f1.0 lens NEW?
Even worse, you can get another Speed Booster for Nikon! And another for Leica. And yet another for...

They also make an XL version that's x0.64 and gains 1 1/3rd stops.

08-07-2019, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #2762
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Even worse, you can get another Speed Booster for Nikon! And another for Leica. And yet another for...

They also make an XL version that's x0.64 and gains 1 1/3rd stops.
And however:
1) none for Pentax because of the diaphragm lever
2) because Canon long since went to all-electronic control of all lens functions, all functions can be transmitted to an MFT body with some limitations for AF
3) the 0.71X uses a specially formulated, very expensive glass for at least one of its lenses which is part of the reason for the unusually good performance of that adapter as well as its very high price.

4) the 0.64X adapter has not been as highly rated as the 0.71X. That may be a consequence of a) not having the ultra expensive lens (not sure if it does or doesn't) b) just stretching the multiplication factor too much, similar to a 2X converter versus a 1.4X converter, the latter almost always do better at retaining original lens IQ.
08-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #2763
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
And however:
1) none for Pentax because of the diaphragm lever
2) because Canon long since went to all-electronic control of all lens functions, all functions can be transmitted to an MFT body with some limitations for AF
3) the 0.71X uses a specially formulated, very expensive glass for at least one of its lenses which is part of the reason for the unusually good performance of that adapter as well as its very high price.

4) the 0.64X adapter has not been as highly rated as the 0.71X. That may be a consequence of a) not having the ultra expensive lens (not sure if it does or doesn't) b) just stretching the multiplication factor too much, similar to a 2X converter versus a 1.4X converter, the latter almost always do better at retaining original lens IQ.
1) Yep, a tad annoying, that.
2) I didn't know - I have avoided looking too much into it because of the potential collateral damage
3) Just checked; the price in Norway is a bit over $1000
4) I didn't know (yes, I'm repeating myself, but that's a natural consequence of being ignorant!)
08-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #2764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Uncle Vanya: you are correct, I was trying to keep it small, but Walter is so on his game that he opened up the event horizon a bit. The 50% 35mm multiplier is a concern because I worry that the basic Oly MD Mark iii may not have the horsepower to handle that type of focal length. Only time and usage will tell the tale...thanks for your input on the Pany lenses.....
Gotcha. In my case I use the Panasonic 45-175 for long shots but that is very slow. I also use an adapted Pentax on an adaptor that allows continuous unmarked aperture adjustments when I require a long fast lens. The FA 77 works well in this capacity.

08-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #2765
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Gotcha. In my case I use the Panasonic 45-175 for long shots but that is very slow. I also use an adapted Pentax on an adaptor that allows continuous unmarked aperture adjustments when I require a long fast lens. The FA 77 works well in this capacity.
May I ask which adapter you use? I see there are several out there, even though most of the cheap ones are probably the same just under different brand names.
08-07-2019, 03:47 PM - 5 Likes   #2766
Veteran Member

Fujian 35mm f/1.6 CCTV II cine lens (OM-D Mark III).

They are typically under $30. Good lens for portrait, close to medium range. Not very ideal for landscape or macro.

]

08-07-2019, 07:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2767
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
cross posted in Daily In Challenge

08-07-2019, 08:17 PM - 5 Likes   #2768
Veteran Member

Industar lens from Soviet reproduction camera.

Fixed aperture INDUSTAR M F/3.5 23mm LENS KIEV 30

Last edited by fiveseven; 08-07-2019 at 08:46 PM.
08-07-2019, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #2769

How to choose the right lens.
Olympus E-M5 m2

08-08-2019, 03:34 AM - 4 Likes   #2770
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Katydid. Oly 10 mk ii + Oly 60mm macro
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
08-08-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #2771
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

May I ask which adapter you use? I see there are several out there, even though most of the cheap ones are probably the same just under different brand names.
Fotasy. It is a DA K TO M43 type with a ring marked open/close that controls the aperture in a stepless way.
08-08-2019, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #2772

Photos: Gallery
Old dog. Olympus E-M10.2 45mm f/1.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 

Last edited by DayBob; 08-08-2019 at 08:08 AM.
08-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #2773
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Fotasy. It is a DA K TO M43 type with a ring marked open/close that controls the aperture in a stepless way.
Thanks, I will see if I can get something like that.
08-08-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #2774
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I will see if I can get something like that.
About Pentax K to MFT adapters:
1) from reading user-reviews several places, it seems that Novoflex adapters, with a stop-down ring, are generally highly regarded. Guess what? They are EXPENSIVE
2) Adapters sold under the brand name "FotodioX" are good and a fraction the cost, but be sure to get one with a stop-down ring if you need one.
3) The Chinese brand "Klipon" also offers K to MFT adapters, with variable reviews (may indicate poor quality control = there are lemons among the cherries).

REMEMBER: IF you have a manual-focus K-mount lens with an A-M switch on it, that's easier to use than the ring on an adapter. If you have K-mount lenses with click-stop aperture rings (and an "A" setting), obviously you can count clicks or just approximate. Some MFT bodies have a menu selection for constant viewfinder brightness so you can attach a lens and have it stopped down to f8 or f11 all the time and you will still have just as bright a viewfinder/screen image as a lens opened to f1.4. It works on my MFT bodies and focus peaking still functions but may not be as accurate. AND, all of a sudden it's too bad there aren't some high-quality preset lenses still in manufacture Old preset lenses in M42 mount that are good performers: the 8-element 50mm f1,4; the 135mm f3.5 preset, the 200mm f5.6 preset; and some 50mm f2.8 Tessars. There are also quite a variety of Russian-made M42 lenses that at least some Pentaxians think are good, but look for one that is either preset or has an A-M switch.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-08-2019 at 10:01 AM.
08-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #2775
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Fotasy is very well built.