Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8130 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #2806
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My experience is that the Panasonic bodies are easier to use particularly if you are a Pentax user. Olympus menus are not great - though they aren't totally incomprehensible. If this is for Mrs. Unless she is a serious photographer the GM1 is tiny and capable. The wifi setup is a little quirky but workable. The buggers are expensive however.
I use both Oly & Pany bodies. The latter was definitely an easier transition for menus and ergonomics, Small things such as the "ON" switch of the Oly is at top left as on some Canon cameras, whereas the Pany "ON" switch is around the shutter release as on Pentax bodies. Both cameras have deep menus, almost like an NYC yellow pages, but the Pany is definitely easier to navigate than the Oly. The latter has been faulted by many reviewers who have experience with essentially every DSLR made. One would think that Oly would pay attention and make some changes, but perhaps they are fearful of offending long-time Oly users by making too many alterations to a system that brand-loyalists have mastered. BTW: A small thing that I have found annoying. I sometimes press the 4-way with my thumb (right hand) and accidentally change a setting, such as white balance. Did this with my K3 in Africa an wound up with a purple leopard (perhaps not as bad as a purple cow). My Oly EM10 mk ii is especially problematic because of its tiny size*. A good solution on my Canon 7d = there is a sliding switch below the 4-way that locks it. My Pany G9 has a menu option for locking the 4-way, and that can be assigned to one of the function buttons for convenience.

*The Oly EM 10 mk ii is almost too small. I find a better grip, and less tendency to bump the 4-way if I add a grip. The OEM grip is really elegant, just big enough, very light (= mostly plastic), and it's easy to get at the battery & memory card, BUT, you cannot use a quick release in any reasonable way. The RRS grip is a little bigger, heavier (= all aluminum), and it's a bit more difficult to get at the battery & card, but it has a built-in Arca-Swiss type track as well as a 1/4 X 20 spot. So, if you're only going to hand hold, the OEM grip is better. If you're going to use a tripod or monopod, with the OEM grip you'd be limited to a 1/4 X 20 screw, with the RRS grip you could use either a 1/4 X 20 thread or an Arca-Swiss release.

09-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #2807

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My experience is that the Panasonic bodies are easier to use particularly if you are a Pentax user. Olympus menus are not great - though they aren't totally incomprehensible. If this is for Mrs. Unless she is a serious photographer the GM1 is tiny and capable. The wifi setup is a little quirky but workable. The buggers are expensive however.
I'm a Pentax user, she's a phone photographer. I'm coming to realize any other system camera will be for me than her. She'd probably get great use from a Canon Elph something. P mode, easy file transfer, nicer pics to upload than an iPhone. Anything beyond that is, well, buttons she'll never* use. Me, I have a serious, I guess prejudice, against Canon. They're great for snapshots, but not much more**. But then, I'm looking at a point and shoot for her. I had thought maybe for the same outlay of an intermediate level P&S, maybe a MFT with kit lens. Or at least I could justify it.

*Never in her current interest, knowledge, or skill set.

**I know in my head that's horribly untrue, but sometimes you can't tell the heart anything.
09-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #2808
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I'm a Pentax user, she's a phone photographer. I'm coming to realize any other system camera will be for me than her. She'd probably get great use from a Canon Elph something. P mode, easy file transfer, nicer pics to upload than an iPhone. Anything beyond that is, well, buttons she'll never* use. Me, I have a serious, I guess prejudice, against Canon. They're great for snapshots, but not much more**. But then, I'm looking at a point and shoot for her. I had thought maybe for the same outlay of an intermediate level P&S, maybe a MFT with kit lens. Or at least I could justify it.

**I know in my head that's horribly untrue, but sometimes you can't tell the heart anything.
You might want to stay with a P&S for her, as even the smallest MFT with a modest zoom lens cannot go into a pocket. Some pocketable P&S cameras with one-inch sensors can take amazingly good images, but those can be pretty expensive. The really tiny sensor cameras can be decent. I have a Pany LF1 that has a zoom equivalent to 24~200mm on FF that fits easily into a cargo-pocket in trousers, can go into some shirt pockets although I'd worry about it falling out. IQ is pretty good if you do not crop too much. I've posted scores of images taken with it on PF. As with many P&S you select anything from AI or Program to fully manual, including MF.
10-04-2019, 03:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2809
Pentaxian

GX9 | 15

Last edited by sundown; 10-17-2019 at 06:44 AM.
10-05-2019, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #2810
Pentaxian

Dilapidated barn in the Arcata bottoms, shot with E-M5 + Oly 11-22:

10-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #2811
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote

I know you said `system camera', but how about the Panasonic LX100 (used) or mark II (not used)? There is also the Sony rx100 series.

Or... Get her a new iPhone 11 or 11pro - the photo quality is now at a very high level. Having spent $800-$1000 on her, you can indulge in a GX9 for yourself!
10-06-2019, 10:47 AM - 7 Likes   #2812
Pentaxian

Last edited by sundown; 10-17-2019 at 06:43 AM.
10-10-2019, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2813
Pentaxian

Barn near Loleta, CA, shot with E-M5 + Oly 14-54:

10-11-2019, 07:51 AM - 9 Likes   #2814
Veteran Member

GX-85 and Olympus 9-18mm, I am loving this combination for landscape photography.

This is a stitch of a few images to create a larger field of view.
10-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #2815
Veteran Member

Another one from Ocean Beach (SF)

10-13-2019, 05:45 PM - 3 Likes   #2816
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally got away from work. Autumn season out here. Love this time of year.

Field-side Maples
by Aaron, on Flickr

Across the valley
by Aaron, on Flickr

Last edited by Clarkey; 11-16-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Changed photo.
10-13-2019, 07:19 PM - 3 Likes   #2817
Pentaxian

Under Hwy 101 over Eureka Slough, with E-M5ii + 12-60 Pano:

10-15-2019, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #2818
Pentaxian

I just realised that the PanaLeica 15mm becomes 33mm FF equivalent when you shoot in a 3:2 crop mode. Wow, suddenly, I don't need a 35mm equivalent lens for my cute gx9

Last edited by sundown; 10-15-2019 at 08:41 AM.
10-15-2019, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #2819
Pentaxian

Railroad bridge over Eureka Slough, with the Pany 12-60:

10-16-2019, 02:17 PM - 5 Likes   #2820
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I just realised that the PanaLeica 15mm becomes 33mm FF equivalent when you shoot in a 3:2 crop mode. Wow, suddenly, I don't need a 35mm equivalent lens for my cute gx9

The PanaLeica 15 is my go to lens on the GX9. I just can't live without it.