Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8130 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #3046
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
Hi all, what's a good m43 camera to look for used, particularly if I want to take casual video?
I keep hearing that Panasonic has the better video. I have only had the GM1 from Panasonic - not really the camera people talk about - so I can't really comment on Panasonic video performance. I have the Olympus E-M5ii now, which takes the best video I've ever had a camera take. It has the mic input on the side, and you can take a headphone out of it if it has the grip. I have used a Rode mic on top, which gave a big improvement in audio when recording my son's school band. It's weatherproof too when teamed with the right lens...I'd think the 12-40mm pro would be a good option for video if you can find one at a good price (and they are the most common Oly pro lens on the used market).

Like you, I have the KP, and the K5ii before that and K100d before that. None of them are/were really video machines (I can't even recall if the K100 even took video?).

I don't take a lot of video, but what I have taken out of the E-M5ii is the best I've had from any camera I've owned (keeping in mind that I always prioritise stills performance when picking cameras). I'm guessing the E-M1's would be as good or better.

05-03-2020, 03:17 AM   #3047
Pentaxian

Complete agreement.I also have 5M2 and 12-40.For Amateur videos, there is everything there.But two remarks.12-40 is too heavy for this fotoaparata.And tracking focus is bad.Contrast autofocus. Omd1, more preferable.Better grip, and contrast plus phase sensors.And the price of 5M2 is still too high...There is a personal moment here.I aimed at the m1m3
05-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #3048

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for all your comments everyone! Very helpful. I will take another look at Olympus cameras.

One of the issues I was having is that they seem to release cameras a bit less frequently, so there is a big gap between used prices on recent releases and used prices on older cameras, many of which don't appear to shoot 4K.
05-03-2020, 10:06 AM - 3 Likes   #3049
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Arches National Park. August 2019.

Panasonic GX85 + 12-32

05-03-2020, 10:10 AM - 3 Likes   #3050
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prescott AZ. Watson Lake.

Panasonic GX85 + 12-32 kit lens.

05-03-2020, 12:22 PM - 3 Likes   #3051
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fiddle heads, Oly 12~100 f4 on Oly EM10 II, deep crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
05-03-2020, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #3052
Pentaxian

One of the issues I was having is that they seem to release cameras a bit less frequently, so there is a big gap between used prices on recent releases and used prices on older cameras, many of which don't appear to shoot 4K.
If you're looking for an m43 camera that does 4k, your best option may be the Panasonic GX85. It features 5-axis stabilization, which works in dual stabilization mode with any of the Panasonic stabilized lenses. Match the GX85 with the Lumix 14-140 (the later, lighter version), and you have a nice, compact unit for high-end video. Used copies of the GX85 sell for under $400.

05-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #3053
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
....But two remarks.12-40 is too heavy for this fotoaparata.And tracking focus is bad.Contrast autofocus. Omd1, more preferable.Better grip, and contrast plus phase sensors.And the price of 5M2 is still too high...
Quite right...the 12-40 is relatively large (relative to MFT lenses in general). I think because I was using the grip as well it seemed ok, and I had a massive blob of Rode mic sitting on top. Focus is no good as you say, when on continuous it pulses - I reverted to manual focus on mine. Price I think is ok though...I bought my Olympus refurb E-M5ii for AUD600 (USD400 or thereabouts?)...in the market here in Australia I think it was a great price (the III wasn't out at the time).

I'd love an E-M1 iii!! It's on the wishlist.

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
If you're looking for an m43 camera that does 4k, your best option may be the Panasonic GX85.
I would kind of like one of these myself...or the GX8 or GX9 I guess. They don't seem to be that common on the local used market, but definitely should be on the candidate list for video needs as you say.

Amusingly, I just pulled the trigger on an old GH1 via eBay, for the princely sum of AUD85 (USD50-60ish?). Looks in reasonable shape. I wanted to see if a camera like that can still produce nice images, and how the video compares (1080 only, and maybe a little hit and miss at that)!
05-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #3054

Photos: Gallery
After some more research, I was actually thinking more the G85 because it has a mic jack. Any reason to get the GX85 over that?

I love the look of the GX9 but no mic jack plus apparently those newer cameras have a crop at 4K video which seems like a step in the wrong direction.
05-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #3055
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
Amusingly, I just pulled the trigger on an old GH1 via eBay, for the princely sum of AUD85 (USD50-60ish?). Looks in reasonable shape. I wanted to see if a camera like that can still produce nice images, and how the video compares (1080 only, and maybe a little hit and miss at that)!
If you hack the GH1 you can get superb 1080 video out of it. Also, if you can find an electrical connection for it and a big enough card, you can record video literally for hours at a stretch. I'm not sure which other non GH Panasonics have that feature as well, but most digital cameras, of course, don't let you record for more than 30 minutes at a time.
05-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #3056
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
If you hack the GH1 you can get superb 1080 video out of it.
I just read something about that last night. You have to wonder why Panasonic didn't just give it this capability! Smells like...crippling the product.

Since I don't have much invested in it, it may be worth trying that out though! I will use it out as is for a while at first though.
05-03-2020, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #3057
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

After some more research, I was actually thinking more the G85 because it has a mic jack. Any reason to get the GX85 over that?

I love the look of the GX9 but no mic jack plus apparently those newer cameras have a crop at 4K video which seems like a step in the wrong direction.
The only reasons I can see to get the GX85 would be price and size. In every other aspect the G85 "wins". And really, I find the grip on the GX too small when using anything but the smallest lenses. With longer lenses I prefer to attach the optional grip - which makes the size difference even smaller.

The G has better video features; mic jack, flip-and-twist screen (as opposed to the flip-up only on the GX), and "cine" like profiles for more advanced video editing (colour grading). Actually, there is a hack to enable a cine like profile on the GX85 as well, but it's not as convenient to use. Of course, for even better video you would have to look at the GH line. They have 10-bit rather than 8-bit video, un-cropped video, and jack for headphones as well. But... that's more than most of us need for casual shooting. And I believe anything older than the GH5 lacks in-body stabilisation.

Anecdotal comment: A few years ago I met a film crew on Madagascar, and in additional to the huge film cameras they used a GH4 for B-roll. I guess it means that it's "good enough"
05-04-2020, 11:27 AM - 5 Likes   #3058
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 05-04-20 at 11:28 AM ----------

05-04-2020, 11:41 PM - 3 Likes   #3059

Panasonic GX9 and Panaleica 45mm macro
[

Untitled
by ALexey Novikov, on Flickr
05-05-2020, 06:33 AM - 5 Likes   #3060
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oly EM10 II + Pana 100~300mm @ 300mm, moderately deep crop - hand held shot during a walk with the dog. The lens is OK for carry-about but IQ at the long end is just within the acceptable range and profits a lot from PP sharpening.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo