Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #3526
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Michigan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,574
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That is the appropriate time and place to use a tele rather than walk up closer to fill the frame
Absolutely. That would be a very frigid soaking. It has hypothermia written all over it.

Also with the Oly 100-400:'



5 Days Ago   #3527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 46,859
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Absolutely. That would be a very frigid soaking. It has hypothermia written all over it.
It also substantial risk of an icy slip into a hypothermic sea .
4 Days Ago   #3528
Veteran Member
Ivan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Riga
Posts: 394
When I hear that the value of the MFT is in its compactness, I can't help but grimace. I try to suppress this feeling in myself, there are much bigger problems, this is just a regular touch. Compactness is a way to enter the market and nothing more. This can be a nice bonus. If desired, for example pen + 17mm. But human hands have not become smaller, and it is better to take pictures relying on three points, and not on two and the more on one... The photo system is not understood.

Last edited by Ivan; 4 Days Ago at 09:53 AM.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #3529
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2020
Photos: Albums
Posts: 422
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
When I hear that the value of the MFT is in its compactness, I can't help but grimace. I try to suppress this feeling in myself, there are much bigger problems, this is just a regular touch. Compactness is a way to enter the market and nothing more. This can be a nice bonus. If desired, for example pen + 17mm. But human hands have not become smaller, and it is better to take pictures relying on three points, and not on two and the more on one... The photo system is not understood.
Compactness is only partly about the bodies. In my experience, it's WAY more about the lenses. And, in general, MFT lenses are much smaller than the competition. And the short flange distance means the bodies don't need to be extra deep. Some MFT bodies I'll agree are too small to hold properly, but I see the lenses as the major advantage. Small, fast, the closest any digital mirrorless system comes to replicating the size and speed of Leica lenses.

4 Days Ago   #3530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 46,859
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Compactness is only partly about the bodies. In my experience, it's WAY more about the lenses. And, in general, MFT lenses are much smaller than the competition. And the short flange distance means the bodies don't need to be extra deep. Some MFT bodies I'll agree are too small to hold properly, but I see the lenses as the major advantage. Small, fast, the closest any digital mirrorless system comes to replicating the size and speed of Leica lenses.
Agree 100% The top-end Olympus camera, I forget the precise model designation, is almost as big and heavy and a K1 = defeats the appeal of MFT IMHO. On the other hand, my Oly EM 10 is just a bit too small. When I first got it I kept pressing the 4-way on the back with my thumb causing some bizarre images. Adding Oly's little accessory grip cured that 100%, but I also got a slightly larger after-market grip that has an Arca-Swiss rail. My Pany G9 is for me right at the upper limit of size for an MFT camera. OTOH. the Vario-Elmar 100~400mm, FOV equivalent to 200~800mm on FF, is smaller than the Pentax 60~250mm I used to have. The Pany 50~200mm, equivalent to a 100~400mm f2.8-4.0 on FF, is just a hair larger. The Oly 300 f4.0 is about the same size as a Pentax 300mm f4, but on MFT it is really a 600mm f4.0. Ever tote along a 600mm f4.0 for FF just in case you come across a subject that would call for such a lens? I wouldn't hesitate to take along the Oly 300mm if I thought I might use that much reach.
4 Days Ago   #3531
Veteran Member
Ivan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Riga
Posts: 394


---------- Post added 02-23-21 at 12:17 PM ----------

I would buy the Olympus OM-D E-M1X and 17 / 1.2. But this is unlikely to work, but I know that F1.2 will be working and often used, this is not for the game. And it will be very helpful. What is real is buying 40-150pro. In any case, I will not sell my m5 precisely because of the opportunity to put 25 / 1.8.

---------- Post added 02-23-21 at 12:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Agree 100% The top-end Olympus camera, I forget the precise model designation, is almost as big and heavy and a K1 = defeats the appeal of MFT IMHO. On the other hand, my Oly EM 10 is just a bit too small. When I first got it I kept pressing the 4-way on the back with my thumb causing some bizarre images. Adding Oly's little accessory grip cured that 100%, but I also got a slightly larger after-market grip that has an Arca-Swiss rail. My Pany G9 is for me right at the upper limit of size for an MFT camera. OTOH. the Vario-Elmar 100~400mm, FOV equivalent to 200~800mm on FF, is smaller than the Pentax 60~250mm I used to have. The Pany 50~200mm, equivalent to a 100~400mm f2.8-4.0 on FF, is just a hair larger. The Oly 300 f4.0 is about the same size as a Pentax 300mm f4, but on MFT it is really a 600mm f4.0. Ever tote along a 600mm f4.0 for FF just in case you come across a subject that would call for such a lens? I wouldn't hesitate to take along the Oly 300mm if I thought I might use that much reach.
This is obvious to me, but I suspect that there may be people who disagree with you. The question is whether they would like to enter into discussion with you). I wanted to say that if small size and weight were important for me first of all, I would buy an inch or, even worse, 1.17 with high-aperture optics. For me, the beauty of the mft is not in size and weight, but in the possibilities that a great depth of field gives, with an excellent fleet of optics.

Last edited by Ivan; 4 Days Ago at 12:27 PM.
4 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #3532
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,444
Olympus EM-1 mkII + 300/4 & MC2.0




4 Days Ago   #3533
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
When I hear that the value of the MFT is in its compactness, I can't help but grimace. I try to suppress this feeling in myself, there are much bigger problems, this is just a regular touch. Compactness is a way to enter the market and nothing more. This can be a nice bonus. If desired, for example pen + 17mm. But human hands have not become smaller, and it is better to take pictures relying on three points, and not on two and the more on one... The photo system is not understood.
I have big hands and yet I like compact cameras. Human hands have no trouble holding these cameras steady.

4 Days Ago   #3534
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,444
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have big hands and yet I like compact cameras. Human hands have no trouble holding these cameras steady.
Holding the camera steady is no problem--the Olympus shake-reduction is awesome! With a 300mm & 2x tc, I'm hand-holding at an effective 1200mm! But I'll say this: my hands aren't particularly large but they are exceedingly clumsy (always have been and aging doesn't help.) The Olympus EM- Mark II is manageable--but just. Anything smaller would be impossible. However, that it offers so many advanced functions, is so configurable and there are so many controls is a bit problematic for me--I often feel like I'm just one bumble from rendering it unusable.

Last edited by dadipentak; 4 Days Ago at 07:52 AM.
4 Days Ago   #3535
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,452
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Holding the camera steady is no problem--the Olympus shake-reduction is awesome! With a 300mm & 2x tc, I'm hand-holding at an effective 1200mm! But I'll say this: my hands aren't particularly large but they are exceedingly clumsy (always have been and aging doesn't help.) The Olympus EM- Mark II is manageable--but just. However, that it offers so many advanced functions, is so configurable and there are so many controls is a bit problematic for me--I often feel like I'm just one bumble from rendering it unusable.
My em1 (mk1) feels good in my hands but the menus and configuration options are confusing. Contrast that with my Panasonic GX8. I have zero confusion and the controls make sense. I just donít feel connected to the Olympus.
4 Days Ago   #3536
Veteran Member
Ivan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Riga
Posts: 394
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Olympus EM-1 mkII + 300/4 & MC2.0



The sparrow is very good, but the female of the red cardinal (if I'm not mistaken) jumped out of the depth of field. These small birds tend to move sharply
I have a worker's - peasant's hands, large, but there are no problems with the buttons. But omd5 from 12-40 is not convenient to hold. And there is an imbalance. It seems to me that the transition to pro optics requires the use of bodies with a good grip. Of course I'm wrong, but it will force me to switch to OMD1.

Last edited by Ivan; 4 Days Ago at 08:15 AM.
4 Days Ago   #3537
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
The sparrow is very good, but the female of the red cardinal (if I'm not mistaken) jumped out of the depth of field. These small birds tend to move sharply
I have a worker's - peasant's hands, large, but there are no problems with the buttons. But omd5 from 12-40 is not convenient to hold. And there is an imbalance. It seems to me that the transition to pro optics requires the use of bodies with a good grip. Of course I'm wrong, but it will force me to switch to OMD1.
Try the Panasonic 12-35. It is much easier to handle in my opinion.
3 Days Ago   #3538
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,444
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My em1 (mk1) feels good in my hands but the menus and configuration options are confusing. Contrast that with my Panasonic GX8. I have zero confusion and the controls make sense. I just donít feel connected to the Olympus.
I'm glad to know it's not just me who finds the Olympus menus and configuration options confusing! I did give Panasonic a try and did indeed find the controls easier to understand but was so put off by the stiff zoom of the 100-400/4-6.3 that I bailed out.
3 Days Ago   #3539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,444
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
The sparrow is very good, but the female of the red cardinal (if I'm not mistaken) jumped out of the depth of field..
Thanks! Yes, that's a female Cardinal. My Cantonese-American wife prefers the males because RED! but I'm a fan of the more subtle coloration of the females--which really pops in wintry conditions.
3 Days Ago   #3540
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,452
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm glad to know it's not just me who finds the Olympus menus and configuration options confusing! I did give Panasonic a try and did indeed find the controls easier to understand but was so put off by the stiff zoom of the 100-400/4-6.3 that I bailed out.
Just use the Olympus lens of your choice on the Panasonic body.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
20mm, aaron, andrew, camera, communities, couple, dec, e-p5, eddie, equiv, filter, flickr, flores, focus, gear, ii, john, lens, lenses, m43, macro, oct, olympus, omd, panasonic, pentax, pm, post, smith, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
comparing adapters for Micro Four Thirds (MFT) rparmar Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 25 08-09-2011 10:01 PM
Kr/Kx or Micro Four Thirds snowfreak Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 07-18-2011 01:12 PM
Leica 25mm f/1.4 for Micro Four Thirds jct us101 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 06-13-2011 05:46 AM
Pentax seriously considering joining Micro Four Thirds? iht Pentax News and Rumors 2 04-30-2010 11:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top