Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8142 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2018, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #2341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh, this is terrific! I just ordered a Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II* (because aging) and got to wondering how that might affect my relationship with PF, which I value.. It's good to know there's a place in the forum for 4/3 discussions.

* BTW, is that the worst name for a camera or what?!

07-25-2018, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #2342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And you can post images taken with the Oly on any thread except those that are equipment designated (show me your K3 images, show me you K1 images, etc). We're allowed as retired Pentaxians - - Pentaxium Emeritus.
07-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #2343
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Oh, this is terrific! I just ordered a Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II* (because aging) and got to wondering how that might affect my relationship with PF, which I value.. It's good to know there's a place in the forum for 4/3 discussions.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
And you can post images taken with the Oly on any thread except those that are equipment designated (show me your K3 images, show me you K1 images, etc). We're allowed as retired Pentaxians - - Pentaxium Emeritus.
Single in group is Pentax lens or Camera at a minimum but Daily In group is open to all.

I'm a multiple brand photog so I have some that go everywhere! Even when I'm mostly shooting m43 for a weekend I find this place the most fun.
07-26-2018, 06:50 AM - 7 Likes   #2344
Pentaxian

E-M5ii with the Pany 45-175:

07-26-2018, 07:59 AM - 4 Likes   #2345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oly 10 mkII + Oly 300mm f4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
07-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #2346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Oly 10 mkII + Oly 300mm f4
Very encouraging! My Oly just arrived. I'm very right-brained though so it's going to take me a while to get the hang of it.
07-26-2018, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #2347
Veteran Member

More cat pictures... What can I say?

American Cathic

07-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #2348
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very encouraging! My Oly just arrived. I'm very right-brained though so it's going to take me a while to get the hang of it.
One of the trickiest things for me? a left side on/off switch and lens release.

One of the most pleasant surprises for me? Really easy-to-see focus peaking through the viewfinder, with enlarged view as well if I want it.
07-26-2018, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #2349

It is a bad name for a camera like the musical groupe called "archive". Try to find that on google "archive albums" .... 44 billions matches found.

I think you are gonna enjoy that camera. I had a Panasonic G85 that I really liked and I wanted to try my olympus pro lenses with a faster camera so I rented the em1.2 (it's shorter that way) and it connected instantly whit what I was expecting from a mirrorless. I still had a bad taste in my mouth from my experience with sony FF mirrorless and fuji wasn't doing it for me.I like the ergo, the menu systems, the superb responsiveness and the hybrid pdaf and cdaf is best of both world and the battery life is more dslr than mirrorless.

I was shooting m43 more than FF already but the em1.2 made it tough to justify carrying around my FF or even apsc gears. I sold my fuji after that which I never liked anyway. Now I shoot 80% the em1.2 and 15% my pentax K1 and 5% my small pana gx85 with pancakes lenses. For indoor concert the K1 is perfect but I recently tried a series at iso3200 with the em1.2 and I got very good results so I could probably now do everything with only the em1.2. I won't do that since from time to time I need super shallow dof and I enjoy shooting FF dslr.

I think olympus makes the best series of glasses right now in the consumers market with their pro models. You can get any of the olympus pro and will get amazing results with real life weather sealing and tough glasses (like pentax). I still can't believe the stabilization of that camera and I take long exposure handheld. I got some sharp shots at 1s with 840mm equivalent f5.6 using dual stabilization and got some 5s and 10s images with normal lenses just holding the camera steadily. It's not 100% rate obviously but it make the tripod and monopod a lot less useful.

BTW panasonic lenses works well with the olympus pdaf while olympus lenses don't work with panasonic dfd (you end up with cdaf only) so using the em1.2 you are open to have good performance with the panal-leica lenses too. I use the panasonic 15mm f1.7, the 25mm f1.4 and the 42.5mm f1.7 a lot. Unfortunately they are not weather and it's easy to forget that.

When you get the camera I recommend a leather half case like the cheap megagear (20$). It make the handling even better for my large hands.

---------- Post added 07-26-18 at 07:18 PM ----------

You can relocate the power button on the rear instead of the top one if you like so you can open and close the camera with the right hand when you use a wrist grip. You can check on google for how to decouple the af button from the shutter and use the middle of the right lever as the af button. It makes the operation very efficient. There is a lot of stuff possible and I still discover new possibilities constantly.

Don't forget to do the firmware upgrade to get the smaller af points and improved AF tracking. It was a major upgrade that made the camera even better.

The speed of the sd cards is important on this camera. If you want to get the 15pfs raw with focus and mechanical shutter you need something that will clear the buffer quickly. I used this guide to select a proper sd card : Olympus E-M1 II SD Card Speed Comparison Test - Fastest UHS-II and UHS-I Memory Cards by Write Speed and Continuous Shooting Results in the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

Last edited by sylvainp; 07-26-2018 at 07:22 PM.
07-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #2350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sylvainp Quote
I think you are gonna enjoy that camera
I think so, too, but it's going to take me a while--the menus and controls are a pretty steep learning curve. I guess I should have known that a camera with a name like that would come with indecipherable abbreviations and icons that look like they were cribbed from cave paintings.

Thanks for the encouragement!
07-27-2018, 10:11 PM   #2351
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think so, too, but it's going to take me a while--the menus and controls are a pretty steep learning curve. I guess I should have known that a camera with a name like that would come with indecipherable abbreviations and icons that look like they were cribbed from cave paintings.

As I'm sure you may have read, the nice thing I have found is once you set up everything the way you like, you really rarely have to go all the way into the menus to change the things you need on a daily basis. The super control panel is your friend.

Ask questions here if you get stuck on anything.
07-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #2352

Send me a PM if you have question and want to tricks. I've been using mine for some time now.

Sylvain
07-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #2353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, So my Oly photos are ".ORF" (presumably, "Olympus Raw Format") files. Photoshop Elements doesn't recognize that format. Can I tell the camera to save files as some other (RAW) format? Also they seem to be 7.68MP files (with artifacts even I can detect!) Clearly I have some adjusting to do.

UPDATE: I downloaded the Olympus Image Viewer and it shows the file size as 20.5 MP so I guess the problem is with my (old) PP software.

Last edited by dadipentak; 07-28-2018 at 04:12 PM.
07-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #2354
Pentaxian

I downloaded the Olympus Image Viewer and it shows the file size as 20.5 MP so I guess the problem is with my (old) PP software.
Yes, you have to have fairly new software to support a camera as new as the Olympus E-M5ii. Adobe does have a free program called DNG converter, which will convert your ORF files to DNG so they can be used in any Adobe software program. Otherwise you'll have to upgrade to the most recent Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom 6 or CC.
07-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #2355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Yes, you have to have fairly new software to support a camera as new as the Olympus E-M5ii. Adobe does have a free program called DNG converter, which will convert your ORF files to DNG so they can be used in any Adobe software program. Otherwise you'll have to upgrade to the most recent Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom 6 or CC.
Thanks, Greg! It seems like even those of us who never set foot in a darkroom are "old school' now.