Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8140 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #2431
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
When I have used my Pentax 200mm f/2.8 on APSC with the Canon 500D lens I have gotten some decent shots. But the DOF is razor thin that's true. On my Pentax DA* the calculator on Extreme Macro UK shows about a 0.68x total size. I tried to get the data on the Panasonic but couldn't find all the info needed (minimum focus distance was listed around 1m but no info on magnification at this distance was found).

You might try if you have that data to calculate the ratio that this combo is giving you: Cheap extreme macro magnification with achromat close up lenses
FYI although you probably already know, the 200m Pana/Leica without accessories focuses to 1.15m giving a reproduction of 0.2X (1:5). With the Canon 500D it starts focusing @ 0.5m with the lens @ infinity and will get considerably closer than that. Because the focus distance is roughly cut in half, the magnification should be roughly doubled or ~0.4X (1:~2.5) so when focused at the nearest possible point the 200 + 500D is probably get close to life-sized, which on an MFT sensor is a pretty small object to fill the image. VAV the mosquito, I dared not try to move closer before taking insurance shots. and when in fact I did try to move in, it left.

09-07-2018, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #2432
Veteran Member

Ive passed by this bus stop all the time while driving home, and thinking it would make an interesting photo. Well I finally decided to take a picture of it. In attempts of trying to push myself a little, I decided to try it with the Olympus. I was pleasantly surprised of how well the image turned out. Hand held, no real noise reduction used, ISO 4000, Pany 50-200, Olympus Omd em1ii.

09-08-2018, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2433
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma 150mm macro on Oly D10 mkII. This is very similar to an image posted on one of the insect threads, but it is a different image file of the same aphid & lady bug beetle. BTW: The Sigma 150mm will autofocus on the Oly with the adapter I was using, although I used MF. I suspect the Sigma would draw down the little Oly battery very quickly.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
09-08-2018, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #2434
Pentaxian

Burnt forest around St. Mary Lake, Glacier NP, shot with E-M5ii + Pany 12-60:

09-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #2435
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is it just me, or is the average quality of pictures in this m43 thread higher than that in the Pentax forum in general?
09-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #2436
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Is it just me, or is the average quality of pictures in this m43 thread higher than that in the Pentax forum in general?

Well sir, I can tell you this. With my Olympus E-PL1 and the Oly 40~150mm ED Lens, all I have to do to my images is re-sizing. What I see on the rear screen, is what I get.

Nice to have that sort of confidence in one's equipment.

TT
09-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #2437
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to say, but there are factors that might be in play. There's no theme to contort to, no requirements for daily posting, fewer people posting, and some selectivity in what is posted - at least on my part. Also the display at web size negates a lot of the format differences.

It doesn't hurt that many lenses for m43 are very good.

09-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #2438
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I figure it's the photographers not the gear.
09-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #2439
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I figure it's the photographers not the gear.
That actually may have some truth. Anyone willing to post m43 on the Pentax forum is probably confident of their shots.
09-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #2440
Veteran Member

It's hard to say really, confidence in the camera, they have potential of being small so there is not that idea of someone with a large camera, the support from various camera manufacturers, there are versions of lenses for every occasion and they are really great (even the less expensive ones that are also fast), high res mode gives quality way above sensor size, the list can keep on going. It reminds me of the funny saying... its not the size of the sensor, but how it is used
09-09-2018, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #2441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are many threads on PF, the majority of which I never see. Of those I follow, some pictures posted are perhaps mediocre for some reason - limited skill or an image posted just to participate or to keep the thread moving, but I've seen many, many stunning images posted by Pentax users on this forum. Pull down the "PHOTOS" tab at the top of this page, click on the "photo sharing forum" and look through five or six pages of the images posted there.
09-09-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #2442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Portrait
by Aaron, on Flickr

Stalking
by Aaron, on Flickr
09-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #2443
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
There are many threads on PF, the majority of which I never see. Of those I follow, some pictures posted are perhaps mediocre for some reason - limited skill or an image posted just to participate or to keep the thread moving, but I've seen many, many stunning images posted by Pentax users on this forum. Pull down the "PHOTOS" tab at the top of this page, click on the "photo sharing forum" and look through five or six pages of the images posted there.

Exactly! I think the broad nature of the entire forum vs a small niche is more of a factor. I don't post a bunch of my m43 stuff just those that seem to warrant it.
09-09-2018, 04:39 PM - 6 Likes   #2444
Pentaxian

Glacier NP with Pany 12-60:

09-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #2445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm starting to get the hang of the Oly. This is hand-held with the 300mm & 1.4x TC: