Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #2611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Thanks so much for checking! How much of a difference are we talking about? Maybe post a picture of both side-by-side?
I'll take some side by sides and post tomorrow

But the G9 lighter than the KP. Also:
  • Olympus 60mm macro: 185g
    Pentax D-FA 100mm WR: 340g (and that's very light for its class)
  • Panasonic 12-60mm F/2.8-4: 320g & 12-60mm F/3.5-5.6: 210g
    Pentax 16-85mm: 488g
  • Olympus 9-18mm: 155g & Pana 8-18mm: 315g // Pentax 12-24mm: 431g

So, for example
  • K-3II plus 16-85mm, D-FA 100mm WR and 12-24mm == 2044g
  • G9 plus Oly 60mm macro, 12-60mm F/2.8-4 & 8-18mm F/2.8-4mm == 1478g
  • G9 plus Oly 60mm macro, 12-60mm F/3.5-5.6 & Oly 9-18mm == 1208g
And that's despite the fact that the G9 is one of the largest and heaviest m4/3 body. But still, the G9 is soooo expensive!!

Just thinking aloud here...
Think aloud !!!
I love talking this stuff...
Yes, lighter weight is what I'm looking for, too. I wanted to do some hiking soon and I'm intrigued with the M4/3 and after watching youtubes and trying it out myself, i realize this is a great format. I was torn between the Olympus E-M-1 MII or Olympus E-5MII, then the Lumix G9 caught my eye. I really like larger and brighter viewfinder. I wear glasses and the viewfinder on this camera is perfect for me.
I bought my Lumix off of ebay for just under $1,000. They are expensive but I got a bonus at work so I could (God is good to bless me with that) justify the purchase.
The examples you give just convince me more.

I'll take the battery shots after work tomorrow.

03-06-2019, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #2612
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are a couple of shots. I meant to include one with the Panasonic battery in the Pentax camera but forgot to take it since I was taking the shots with the Pentax!
I do that later.
The Pentax battery is on the right in Both shots. The Panasonic has 4 terminals connections and the Pentax has 3. The panasonic also has a higher stop on it (I'll take a shot of that later, I just realized it did). That is why it doesn't fit into th e Pentax battery compartment. the stop is preventing it from seating all the way down.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-06-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #2613
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting. If you look at the Pentax battery - bottom one in the 2nd photo - there is a little notch in the casing to the left of the 4th contact (which has no metal on the Pentax battery, but is metal on the Panasonic one). When I examine my K-3, I can see that there is a little plastic tab at the bottom of the battery compartment that this notch slots into. This is probably what prevents the Panasonic battery (that doesn't have this notch) from going in all the way. I'd wager that that's why the battery door of the Pentax body won't close with the Panasonic battery, rather than because of the very minimal difference in length. There are also two more notches in the Pentax battery in the left and right bottom corners, but I don't see anything in the battery compartment corresponding to those.

BTW, the Pentax battery compartment (on my K-3) has only two electrical contacts. I'd be curious to know how many contacts are in the G9's battery compartment. Unless there are four, I'd wager it's probably OK to use a Pentax LI-90 in a G9. (The question is whether or not the 4th metal contact on the OEM Panasonic battery is actually used by the camera. I'd wager that it's not.) But that little extra notch in the LI-90 (and the corresponding plastic tab inside the K-3 battery compartment) mean it's probably physically impossible to use an OEM G9 battery in a K-3, K-3ii or the K-01, which also has that little tab inside its battery compartment. If I was an aftermarket producer, I'd probably use the same casing to produce both (ie I'd put a notch in there - won't prevent the battery from working in the G9, and will work in the K bodies). But that all remains speculative & to be confirmed...

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-06-2019 at 04:52 PM.
03-06-2019, 06:23 PM - 3 Likes   #2614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Went back into older image files, so this may have been posted >4 years ago. Lens would be a Pana-Leica 100-400mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
03-06-2019, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #2615
Pentaxian

Railroad bridge north of Eureka, CA, with the Pany 12-60:

03-08-2019, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #2616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, the Pentax battery compartment (on my K-3) has only two electrical contacts. I'd be curious to know how many contacts are in the G9's battery compartment. Unless there are four,
There are 4 contact contacts in the G9 battery compartment. The battery does power the G9 on. I'm guessing that not all the G9 functions would work off 3 contacts but can try out some of them tomorrow. I don't think it would hurt the camera to use the Pentax battery but I don't know enough about all the settings yet to test them all. Perhaps the video needs needs or functions off the extra contact point...
03-09-2019, 10:49 AM - 5 Likes   #2617

E-M5 m2 and Nokton 42.5 f/0.95

03-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #2618
Veteran Member

Monitor Live View on Panasonic G85

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable folk here may be able to help

The question: Is it possible to maintain the 'Live View' exposure on the monitor when zoomed in to assist in focus?

I have a 500mm mirror lens attached to the G85, playing with some moon shots. I'd like to be able to use the zoom in to assist with accurate focus. However, even though I have the Monitor Live View mode enabled and it operates correctly when not zoomed, once I zoom in the zoomed area seems to revert to a non-Live View exposure level, so I get a magnified view of a very over exposed moon

Am I missing something? Is this correct operation that every experiences, or is there a trick I'm missing? Did I even explain that so it made sense?

Please let me know if anyone has any input...and my apologies if this is not really an appropriate question for this thread.

Cheers, Dean.

Last edited by Dean Bradshaw; 03-11-2019 at 06:47 AM.
03-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #2619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go into the "setup" menu (wrench icon) to "monitor luminance" and experiment with different setting there. There does not seem to be a separate luminance adjustment for the enlarged image only, but if the overall monitor luminance is set to a particular brightness rather than to automatic adjust for ambient brightness it might help. However, it may be that the central block caused by the secondary mirror = the thing that causes doughnut highlights, is causing the problem, so the problem may be intrinsic to mirror lenses and cannot be corrected in-camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable folk here may be able to help

The question: Is it possible to maintain the 'Live View' exposure on the monitor when zoomed in to assist in focus?

I have a 500mm mirror lens attached to the G85, playing with some moon shots. I'd like to be able to use the zoom in to assist with accurate focus. However, even though I have the Monitor Live View mode enabled and it operates correctly when not zoomed, once I zoom in the zoomed area seems to revert to a non-Live View exposure level, so I get a magnified view of a very over exposed moon

Am I missing something? Is this correct operation that every experiences, or is there a trick I'm missing? Did I even explain that so it made sense?

Please let me know if anyone has any input...and my apologies if this is not really an appropriate question for this thread.

Cheers, Dean.
03-11-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #2620
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
There are 4 contact contacts in the G9 battery compartment. The battery does power the G9 on. I'm guessing that not all the G9 functions would work off 3 contacts but can try out some of them tomorrow. I don't think it would hurt the camera to use the Pentax battery but I don't know enough about all the settings yet to test them all. Perhaps the video needs needs or functions off the extra contact point...

The 4th contact appears on some li90 batteries as well. I think it is required for EU regulations.

Here's a thread: D-LI90 Battery - PentaxForums.com
03-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #2621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting. If you look at the Pentax battery - bottom one in the 2nd photo - there is a little notch in the casing to the left of the 4th contact (which has no metal on the Pentax battery, but is metal on the Panasonic one). When I examine my K-3, I can see that there is a little plastic tab at the bottom of the battery compartment that this notch slots into. This is probably what prevents the Panasonic battery (that doesn't have this notch) from going in all the way. I'd wager that that's why the battery door of the Pentax body won't close with the Panasonic battery, rather than because of the very minimal difference in length. There are also two more notches in the Pentax battery in the left and right bottom corners, but I don't see anything in the battery compartment corresponding to those.

BTW, the Pentax battery compartment (on my K-3) has only two electrical contacts. I'd be curious to know how many contacts are in the G9's battery compartment. Unless there are four, I'd wager it's probably OK to use a Pentax LI-90 in a G9. (The question is whether or not the 4th metal contact on the OEM Panasonic battery is actually used by the camera. I'd wager that it's not.) But that little extra notch in the LI-90 (and the corresponding plastic tab inside the K-3 battery compartment) mean it's probably physically impossible to use an OEM G9 battery in a K-3, K-3ii or the K-01, which also has that little tab inside its battery compartment. If I was an aftermarket producer, I'd probably use the same casing to produce both (ie I'd put a notch in there - won't prevent the battery from working in the G9, and will work in the K bodies). But that all remains speculative & to be confirmed...
Sorry. Meant to respond yesterday...
The G9 works with the Pentax battery in Shutter, Apeture and Manual mode. I have't tested burst modes or video. Interesting the 4 ocntacts have - and + plus two symbols i'm not familar with a rectangle and one I can't remember. These two may be for European settings as Uncle Vanya stated. I haven't checked out the video he posted but I will. AO far, I really like the G9.
Tell me are you still considering getting one?

---------- Post added 03-11-19 at 05:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 4th contact appears on some li90 batteries as well. I think it is required for EU regulations.

Here's a thread: D-LI90 Battery - PentaxForums.com
Many thanks!
03-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #2622
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Go into the "setup" menu (wrench icon) to "monitor luminance" and experiment with different setting there. There does not seem to be a separate luminance adjustment for the enlarged image only, but if the overall monitor luminance is set to a particular brightness rather than to automatic adjust for ambient brightness it might help. However, it may be that the central block caused by the secondary mirror = the thing that causes doughnut highlights, is causing the problem, so the problem may be intrinsic to mirror lenses and cannot be corrected in-camera.
Thanks for that ...some good thinking and tips to try. I’ll have a go and feed back. I’ll also have a look with other all manual lenses to see if there is a difference in their operation in comparison to the mirror lens.

Cheers
03-12-2019, 01:58 AM   #2623
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Hmmm...thanks @WPRESTO , but no joy with either suggested solution. I first tried adjusting the monitor luminance (from a choice of *1, *2, *3 and *A) and though it does (of course) adjust the overall luminance, it doesn't maintain that luminance level when 'punching in' to focus...the camera display adjusts back to an automatic exposure level, brightening as if the camera were in 'iAuto' or similar, rather than fixed ISO and M mode.

I also tested this behaviour using a non-mirror lens...in this case a Pentax FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro While the field of view was wider, and the image produced noticeably sharper than the mirror lens the display exposure behaved the same as when the mirror lens was mounted. No matter how underexposed the image was when the standard display is shown, once the zoom in focus aid is engaged the image reverts to an auto exposure level.

To confirm, the captured image is of course as per the camera settings...it is only the 'exposure' of the displayed image when zooming in to focus.

Still not sure if this is just me or if others, either with G85 or other Panasonic bodies, experience this?

Cheers
03-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #2624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry my suggestions did not work. I'll experiment with my GX8 when I have a chance later today, although I don't have a mirror lens.
03-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #2625
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
Tell me are you still considering getting one?
Well, AFAICT the G9 is the camera I want, but the G85 is the camera I can afford. I'm pretty disappointed that the next Pentax APS-C flagship is taking so long. No decision taken, but I'm thinking of getting the G85 with 12-60mm F/3.5-5.6 WR lens, shooting a bit with that to see if I like the system, then sell just the body if/when I find a good deal on a used G9 (or prices come down). Apparently "M4/3 Is Doomed! (tm)" so maybe prices will come down...? The GX9 is pretty temping too, with the 20mp sensor and 9fps raw bursts (G85 is 9 fps mechanical shutter in jpg, but drops to 7fps in RAW, I believe), but the fact that the GX9 is not WR, the smaller battery and the lower spec EVF are all turn-offs...

I don't have an answer here, but I have a couple of questions!

So does that mean that if you were shooting manual mode with a manual flash, as soon as you zoom in the view on the monitor and in the viewfinder would become very dark? (Since the shot is technically underexposed as the camera doesn't know a flash will fire or at what power.) That would be a major bummer for me. Or is it the reverse? (ie the image will be very dark unless you magnify). That would also suck, but it would suck less, I think...

What I strongly want is to be able to disable "exposure preview", whether the image is magnified or not.

Which leads to ask

1) When you zoom-in to focus (magnified liveview in Pentax parlance), are both the image in the EVF as well as the image on the back screen magnified?

2) If you half-press the shutter, do you automatically lose the magnification? If so is there a setting to disable that? The fact that you lose the magnification on half-press on a K-3 and you can't disable that is a major point of annoyance for me...

Still not sure if this is just me or if others, either with G85 or other Panasonic bodies, experience this?
I'm also interested in knowing the answer to this...

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-12-2019 at 02:33 PM.