Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8130 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2019, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #2626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My recent m43 upgrade was in response to a craigslist ad. I found an em1 (original model) with battery grip like new for $399. I couldn't pass it up.
Still 16mp, no 20mp. But what a nice body. I do hate the olympus menus...

03-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #2627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My recent m43 upgrade was in response to a craigslist ad. I found an em1 (original model) with battery grip like new for $399. I couldn't pass it up.
Still 16mp, no 20mp. But what a nice body. I do hate the olympus menus...
congrats on finding a gem. Craigslist is hit or miss... And you never who you're meeting up with. But I have found most people genuine to their ads.
03-12-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #2628
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Sorry my suggestions did not work. I'll experiment with my GX8 when I have a chance later today, although I don't have a mirror lens.
Thanks for the follow up, I’ll be interested to see what you find.

Cheers

---------- Post added 03-13-19 at 05:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
...I don't have an answer here, but I have a couple of questions!

So does that mean that if you were shooting manual mode with a manual flash, as soon as you zoom in the view on the monitor and in the viewfinder would become very dark? (Since the shot is technically underexposed as the camera doesn't know a flash will fire or at what power.) That would be a major bummer for me. Or is it the reverse? (ie the image will be very dark unless you magnify). That would also suck, but it would suck less, I think...

What I strongly want is to be able to disable "exposure preview", whether the image is magnified or not.

Which leads to ask

1) When you zoom-in to focus (magnified liveview in Pentax parlance), are both the image in the EVF as well as the image on the back screen magnified?

2) If you half-press the shutter, do you automatically lose the magnification? If so is there a setting to disable that? The fact that you lose the magnification on half-press on a K-3 and you can't disable that is a major point of annoyance for me...

I'm also interested in knowing the answer to this...
Thanks for adding your questions...it’ll be good if we can get this straightened out

I don’t use manual flash, but based on my issue experienced I would assume the standard view in the viewfinder would be dark, based on your manual settings and having exposure preview mode on, then when zooming to focus the magnified image will brighten to a calculated ‘correct exposure’.

The good news for you is that you can disable exposure preview mode and the camera will display the calculated correct exposure irrespective of your manual settings, while displaying an over/under exposure bar/indicator/warning on the screen.

As to the rear LCD and EVF question, my experience on mirrorless is that they are treated identically by the camera, what you see in one you’ll see in the other. So, magnified view dipsplays in both, the exposure preview issue discussed occurs in both, you can use both to review photos, etc.

The half-press does bump you back from magnified view to standard view on the G85, so likely it will on most/all bodies. I haven’t looked for an option to disable this, but I haven’t noticed one when trawling through menus either.

I hope that helps some? Please let me know if I have explained anything poorly or can clarify?

Cheers
03-12-2019, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #2629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Well, AFAICT the G9 is the camera I want, but the G85 is the camera I can afford. I'm pretty disappointed that the next Pentax APS-C flagship is taking so long. No decision taken, but I'm thinking of getting the G85 with 12-60mm F/3.5-5.6 WR lens, shooting a bit with that to see if I like the system, then sell just the body if/when I find a good deal on a used G9 (or prices come down). Apparently "M4/3 Is Doomed! (tm)" so maybe prices will come down...? The GX9 is pretty temping too, with the 20mp sensor and 9fps raw bursts (G85 is 9 fps mechanical shutter in jpg, but drops to 7fps in RAW, I believe), but the fact that the GX9 is not WR, the smaller battery and the lower spec EVF are all turn-offs...
Yes, I understand. The G9 is pricey. But I wanted that 20mp and high resolution option. I really like it and love the flippy screen! I bought the 12-35mm f/2.8 to go with it and it isn't perfect but it's a very solid lens.
I still want the Olympus. I had highly considered a sony for the full size sensor and increased MP but then your back to full size, weighty lenses...
If, after a month or so, if I don't get the results i'm looking for, I'll ma pick up the sony or even the new Canon or Nikon mirrorless full size sensor. It's a bummer that Pentax abandoned their mirrorless systems. But it's understandable.
Here is a shot of the symbols on the Panasonic battery:
Postive, negative and a T and a rectangle. I don't know if the T is for a type of "ground" or not.
FYI: I've shot with the Wasabi for Pentax battery in the G9 for two days (around 35-50 shots) and it so far it works fine.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G550T  Photo 

Last edited by cg57; 03-12-2019 at 05:58 PM.
03-12-2019, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #2630
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
congrats on finding a gem. Craigslist is hit or miss... And you never who you're meeting up with. But I have found most people genuine to their ads.
The trick is meeting in a good spot and taking a little time to assess the situation and person. He's a gearhead and semi-pro. He's owned everything. He's currently on a Fuji kick.
03-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #2631
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cross posted in Daily In Challenge
i just liked the later evening light behind the bike and mix of color and shapes.

03-14-2019, 01:34 PM - 3 Likes   #2632
Pentaxian

Blue Ox Mill Works, Eureka CA, with the Pany 12-60:

03-14-2019, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #2633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cross posted from Daily In Challenge
03-15-2019, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2634
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

more cross posted shots from Daily In Challenge

03-16-2019, 05:44 PM - 3 Likes   #2635
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest stuff from my trip is posted in this album: Southport NC - March 2019 | Flickr

Here's one from the set I have not shared widely:

03-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #2636
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Night shot of Shop Window Posters to see how the G9 would handle the existing sidewalk lighting
03-16-2019, 07:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2637
Pentaxian

Pawn shop, Eureka CA, with the E-M5ii + Oly 17/1.8:

03-16-2019, 10:11 PM - 5 Likes   #2638
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We visited Venice Beach, CA in January...

Venice canal
03-17-2019, 11:33 AM - 5 Likes   #2639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cancun
03-18-2019, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #2640
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted other images of this interesting piece on another thread. It's made of old (15th c) traditional design Chinese stools and held together without nails, screws or glue.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo