Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2020, 01:59 AM   #3076
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
Seems that there is some sort of synergy between MFT and Pentax...not sure why that is. I too jumped all in with MFT, but with Olympus primarily (though I have the very cheap used GH1 on it's way to me, so that will tip the scales towards Panny). I found myself watching for good used 'Pro' lenses, and have now blown most of my overtime on acquiring three to cover the whole 7 - 150mm range - they are beautiful lenses. They handle fine on my E-M5 ii with battery grip, and if I want something smaller I pull the grip off and slap on a Panasonic 14mm or 20mm - and then it's simply tiny!

For some reason I've had an aversion to picking up serious Sony or Canikon gear (though I have a couple of old Canon compacts). I think I might feel a certain affinity for the Fujifilm X system though, but how many camera systems does one person need!

Love this Micro Four Thirds stuff though. For some reason, I just find it to be a lot of fun to use!
My craziness went further. I also bought four-thirds of the lenses. And I find it extremely interesting to shoot on the E400. Although it’s difficult sometimes ... In any case, I understand you. I love Pentax and Olympus. I am tormented with what to take with me. MFT gives consistent quality results. With good glass.)

05-11-2020, 04:47 AM   #3077
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
Here's a shot from my new to me G85. Not sure what lenses to be saving for but the kit seems OK thus far. Certainly sufficient for shots of my kids biking and that sort of thing.

Pay attention to focus stacking. This can be useful for static objects. And double stabilization.
05-12-2020, 04:38 AM - 4 Likes   #3078

Photos: Gallery
A shot from my new G85, I have to admit that the kit lens is pretty impressive. I did order a K mount adapter though, so I can get a sense of what primes would be fun for me on this sensor format.

05-12-2020, 06:49 AM - 4 Likes   #3079
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pana G9, Oly 300f4 + 1.4X

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
05-12-2020, 07:15 PM - 3 Likes   #3080
Pentaxian

Panasonic G95 and 100-400
05-12-2020, 07:46 PM - 5 Likes   #3081
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reprocessing some older photos with Darktable. Liking the results so far:

Spine of the dragon
by Aaron, on Flickr

Icy winds
by Aaron, on Flickr

Last edited by Clarkey; 05-15-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Replaced image
05-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #3082
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A modern arbor or walkway. A day with dull overcast (notice the very weak shadows) that turned to substantial rain later.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
05-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #3083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Pana G9, Oly 300f4 + 1.4X
Wow! Some nice detail there!
05-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #3084
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! Some nice detail there!
I've learned how to get what I saw through the viewfinder into the processed image. It's called Topaz Sharpen AI (as in "Artificial Intelligence"). There are three sharpening modes and of these, the one called "stabilize" works wonders to bring our detail. That tool eliminates the ghosting or soft blur along edges that is commonly caused by camera shake. The effect is to make the image look much "crisper" by enhancing detail. It is far better than any other sharpening tool I've used.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-15-2020 at 06:15 AM.
05-14-2020, 06:34 AM   #3085
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've learned how to get what I saw through the viewfinder into the processed image. It's called Topaz AI (as in "Artificial Intelligence").
Ahhh...that's interesting to hear, as I was looking at getting this. I thought I probably should check out the tool within Photoshop first though, because I already have it. Do you know how it compares?

Nicely framed shot too btw. The timber and gravel and the bird lead to some interesting textures that please my eye. All up, it's a nice demonstration of the potential of MFT when used in capable hands. I'm sure the quality of the glass we have available helps too!
05-14-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #3086
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ahhh...that's interesting to hear, as I was looking at getting this. I thought I probably should check out the tool within Photoshop first though, because I already have it. Do you know how it compares?

Nicely framed shot too btw. The timber and gravel and the bird lead to some interesting textures that please my eye. All up, it's a nice demonstration of the potential of MFT when used in capable hands. I'm sure the quality of the glass we have available helps too!
I have PS, LR and an earlier Topaz add-on sharpening tool. This new one IMHO blows them out of the PP sharpening game. If you get it, remember to use the "stabilize" option. Also a warning, it can be slow to open and get going, and it takes time for the small area preview to complete the processing, and it takes time when you save for the program to apply the selected degree of sharpening to the entire image and send it back to PS or LR (I always work from LR and only send a file to PS for specific special treatment). So be patient - do not expect click and it's done. The result is worth the wait.
05-14-2020, 03:02 PM - 6 Likes   #3087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First Great Crested Flycatcher of the year. So refreshing after weeks of trying catch to warblers flitting in the shadows!

OLympus EM-1/mII, 1.4xTC & 300/4

05-14-2020, 07:39 PM - 2 Likes   #3088
Pentaxian

Panasonic G95 + 100-400
05-15-2020, 06:51 AM   #3089
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have PS, LR and an earlier Topaz add-on sharpening tool. This new one IMHO blows them out of the PP sharpening game. If you get it, remember to use the "stabilize" option. Also a warning, it can be slow to open and get going, and it takes time for the small area preview to complete the processing, and it takes time when you save for the program to apply the selected degree of sharpening to the entire image and send it back to PS or LR (I always work from LR and only send a file to PS for specific special treatment). So be patient - do not expect click and it's done. The result is worth the wait.
Helpful post about sharpening Walter! What about noise reduction? At least for me, noise becomes an even more significant issue in the 4/3 context. I used to use Topaz Denoise and was very happy but I hit one of those %&#*[#@ hardware/software/photo system incompatibility bumps so I'm looking for a new solution. What do you use?

Of course everyone is welcome to take a crack at this.

Last edited by dadipentak; 05-15-2020 at 09:10 AM.
05-15-2020, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #3090
Pentaxian

same series as the previous one, Panasonic G95 + 100-400