Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
NEX Owners...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Have anyone tried out this K to E mount adapter w/ aperture control?

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter w/ Aperture Control -- Pentax K, Pk Lens to Sony E-series Camera Fits Sony Nex-3, Nex-5, Nex-5n, Nex-7 and Sony Video Camcorder Nex-vg-10 Vg10: Camera & Photo

Does the aperture control really work in camera?

Thanks.

01-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I've used one that's very similar.

You don't control the aperture from the camera. Instead the ring on the adapter moves, which is connected to the aperture level. You basically manually open and close the aperture as much (or as little) as you want. There are no hard clicks, so you won't know exactly what aperture you're shooting at when using a lens without its own aperture ring.
01-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
Does the aperture control really work in camera?
Nope. I have an adapter identical to that one.

Aperture control of the lens is manual, not in-camera. No in-camera control, no lens info in the EXIF etc.

To date there is no K-mount adapter that offers in-camera aperture control akin to the Sony LA-EA1 adapter for A-mount to E-mount, or the new Metabones Canon EF to E-mount lens adapter.
01-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a similar K to NEX mount adapter from RainbowImaging that allows 5 step of aperture control for my Pentax DA lenses to be used with my 5N. The aperture control is NOT in camera

You see on the posted link on Amazon, there is a Lock and Open position of a turnable ring on the adapter that can govern the aperture from wide open to smallest aperture. It counted 5 steps from LOCK to OPEN and I keep forgetting which side opens up the lens without looking at the label.

Another similar link in Amazon with K to NEX adapter with support on DA lenses
The main thing in searching is to look for support on DA lenses or similar wording on aperture control. The other to look for is the obvious label of "Lock" and "Open" in an extra ring that I mention.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-18-2012 at 05:52 PM.
01-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
You see on the posted link on Amazon, there is a Lock and Open position of a turnable ring on the adapter that can govern the aperture from wide open to smallest aperture. It counted 5 steps from LOCK to OPEN and I keep forgetting which side opens up the lens without looking at the label.
That's the one I have, but you're still manually controlling the aperture. As far as I know, there is no way to control the aperture of the lens from the NEX body as the adapters are purely mechanical (no electrical contacts to allow communication between the lens and body).
01-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
That may not be accurate.
I have 2 K to E-mount adapters, including one that lets me use DA lenses.

The key issue, as dgaies mentions, is the lack of any electrical or mechanical connections to control the aperture in-camera, as opposed to doing it by hand.

All of the K to E adapters on the market, so far, are relatively 'dumb' adapters that are little more than simple steel tubes, which do not provide the camera with any direct control over the lens. I think that was the main concern of the OP.

The new 3rd party Canon EF to E mount adapter is retailing BTW for about $300 and the Sony LA-EA1 A to E adapter is about $150-$200. That's about the price you'd pay if you wanted a K to E adapter that included all the electronics and linkages needed to get in-camera aperture working, not $29 or less.
01-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That's the one I have, but you're still manually controlling the aperture. As far as I know, there is no way to control the aperture of the lens from the NEX body as the adapters are purely mechanical (no electrical contacts to allow communication between the lens and body).
I apologize, I mis-read what Rawr wrote. It is not in-camera control.

Hin

01-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I have 2 K to E-mount adapters, including one that lets me use DA lenses.

The key issue, as dgaies mentions, is the lack of any electrical or mechanical connections to control the aperture in-camera, as opposed to doing it by hand.

All of the K to E adapters on the market, so far, are relatively 'dumb' adapters that are little more than simple steel tubes, which do not provide the camera with any direct control over the lens. I think that was the main concern of the OP.

The new 3rd party Canon EF to E mount adapter is retailing BTW for about $300 and the Sony LA-EA1 A to E adapter is about $150-$200. That's about the price you'd pay if you wanted a K to E adapter that included all the electronics and linkages needed to get in-camera aperture working, not $29 or less.
I have to apologize as I mis-read your post.

Regarding the better adapter with electrical contacts, I don't quite like the size of the K-mount adapter. I assume similar size of Canon EF to NEX mount. The size of Leica M, Olympus Pen-F, Contax G, and other range-finder type of lens are smaller if size matters to you.

Here is a sample of a M39/L39 to NEX lens on Sony NEX 5N

Industar 69 28mm f/2.8 in M39 mount
mounted with a M39/L39 to NEX adapter
It is very thin

If I have to spend about $300 on a better K-mount adapter, I will prefer to spend a bit more on the Sony A mount to E adapter that will allow AF. But I know it is a shame to miss our K-mount lenses.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-18-2012 at 09:48 PM.
01-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
nah

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Awesome thanks for the feedback guys.

Now does anyone have the 24mm f1.8 Zeiss? How does it compare to any of the limiteds?