Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I love my new Nikon J1

I grabbed a Nikon J1 3 weekends ago to be a companion to my K5. And it is just that, a nice companion. We all know how awesome the K5 is,

This little camera is just a lot of fun though, I bring it every where, which I can since its compact compared to my K5 or any other DSLR. It fits nicely in my jacket or hoodie pocket, and takes up next to no room in my kit bag if needed.

Sure it does not have the manual control a full DSLR has
It has no where near the capability for beautiful bokeh
nor does it have the high image quality found with a DSLR

but what it does it does very well, and it is just a blast to use.

I'm very impressed what the smaller sensor can do, and have been very happy with the results I've been getting out of it. The camera is incredibly quick to focus, even in low light where it can get confused easily.

What really surprising is the video modes. I've spent a lot of time here. Okay, its only two modes full HD and slow motion. But the slow motion video feature is just a blast. It reminds me of the show "Time Shift" where they take a bunch of high frame rate cameras and play them back in super slow mo. While not as impressive as those cameras in the show, the dark, grainy, and short videos the J1 creates are pretty good and are a blast to make. I think i spent 20 minutes just playing with a zippo lighter and the slow-mo mode.

Just had to spread some joy of how much fun I'm having with this little camera.

Here are two photos I took when I first got the camera. I got to find some time to really go through the "roll" and find out what I can present.

Now, I just gotta go have some fun with my new Tamron 90mm Macro.

The Oilers Zippo/Jersey photo was taken with the flame of the lighter being the ONLY light in the room. I was impressed.