Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy Birthday x10!

I'm celebrating going into the third month with my little Fuji x10 and wanted to report that I am still as enthused over it as I was when I first got it. I've learned a little more on using it, feel more comfortable with the menus, and can finally explore more settings and possibilities without getting lost or overwhelmed.

If you read this back in November, not much has changed in my opinion of the x10.....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/165396...-fuji-x10.html

With some very warm days and super bright skies, I have come to appreciate the optical viewfinder more than I imagined I would.....it is excellent when the LCD is washed out by the brilliant light of a Texas sun, and works near perfectly.

Some of my shots from the last two months.....just ordinary stuff....which is what I bought the x10 for.....ordinary walkabout shooting. Fuji -x10 - a set on Flickr

I shot this on the first day I got the x10.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Went back and shot it again on Monday...no leaves now! Unprocessed...just straight out of the x10...resized.
[IMG] [/IMG]

This is the most fun little camera I can imagine owning!

Thanks for looking in on the party! Cake and ice cream to follow, and cold beer if you are thirsty!

Best Regards!
Rupert

01-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd like to celebrate my birthday every 3 months, too! Glad you're liking the camera, though. Thinking of the X-1?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Banned

I am SOOO close to picking up an X10 for my upcoming vacation. It's our 20th anniversary and we're going on a cruise and then a week in New Orleans. I could take my D300 and a couple of lenses but having to take it around when just walking seems like a pain. And it's just too big to take out at night when on Bourbon street. I also want to make sure the focus of the trip is our anniversary rather than photos. I just bought my wife a G11 and she's taking it along. I'm getting a bonus and the Missus has approved the purchase of an X10 or some glass. I'm loving the idea of the X10 as a nice P&S and street photography camera. I'm feeling guilty about having a DSLR and some decent glass and the thought of leaving it behind. Somebody relieve me of my guilt...

Yes, I'm shooting Nikon now but I still love the people around here.
01-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam.......Me too! I have had so much fun with the x10 it is hard to imagine! X-1Pro? Maybe? I was almost certain I would get it, and surely may, but I want to see more first. Some common sense and reason tell me the K5 is most likely more capable in most every regard, and from experience, I know that capability is excellent! Spending $4K for the "novelty" factor of the X-Pro may not be as wise as investing in a few more Ltd lenses? Sometimes we just have too many choices, don't we!

Vaughn- If I could only let you use my little x10 for an hour, you would be sold 100%. It is just a terrific little carry-around camera that doesn't get in your way or slow you down with lens changing or bulk in size.....it is ready to shoot in almost any light, day or night, and seldom misses a shot. Colors are superb, and IQ is more than adequate for most purposes associated with a small camera of this type.
New Orleans would be a paradise for the x10, it is a street shooters delight...day or night!

I do recommend you order quickly, it took me a good week to understand the menu system and the different functions in the various dial settings. Very different than Pentax or a Nikon. I am still discovering things of interest in the menus and settings...many very useful. To start, just set the dial on EXR Auto and shoot away! You won't be dissatisfied with the results, it can nail the most difficult shots with ease most of the time.

Best Regards! & Thanks for joining in on the Birthday Party for my little x10! We will have another one in a few months and I will furnish a keg of beer and naked girls popping out of a giant cake! Don't miss it!

My friend, the Butcher Man gives the x10 a big Thumbs Up! He's making me some Possum patties for the big party!
[IMG] [/IMG]

01-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vaughn, one thing I have to say for the X10 is that it is nearly impossible to use the "pro low light" mode for a night shot, review the shot, and NOT break out in a big sh*t-eating grin. It works so well you feel like the biggest photographic fraud to ever come down the pike.

Take a look at the night shot of a ship currently near the top of my Flickr page. That was unsupported and one-handed. The camera was moving around a bit during the shot, as it was windy, rainy, and I was also holding an umbrella.

EDIT:

Never mind looking for it. I got home and can pull it up and link to it (couldn't on my iphone earlier)

Fujifilm X10

Last edited by Mike Cash; 01-28-2012 at 07:48 AM.
01-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice shot Mike....and I agree fully.......the first time I used Pro Low Light I actually thought I might have miraculously become a "real shooter"....of course, it was too good to be true, I'm still just old Squirrel shooting Rupert.......but the x10, it is a Pro, no doubt about it!

Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]
01-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
Banned

Well it looks like I won't be takin the D300 on my trip. I've decided to go small, but after talking to the wife last night we've decided to go with just the G11 and enjoy our anniversary cruise and vacation. The difference between the G11 and X10 don't really justify a purchase right now. Especially since she's ok'd the purchase of an X100 when my bonus arrives a couple of weeks after we get back.... Win...

01-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Vaughn, I'm not into bashing other peoples cameras.....whatever works for them is what they should shoot with, but I can't resist saying that you are missing a treat and some real Magic, the kind you can't fully appreciate until you hold the x10's little all metal solid body and let it work its powerful magic in the most difficult of shooting situations.
Enjoy your vacation....I need one myself...its been too long!

Best Regards!
01-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Vaughn, I'm not into bashing other peoples cameras.....whatever works for them is what they should shoot with, but I can't resist saying that you are missing a treat and some real Magic, the kind you can't fully appreciate until you hold the x10's little all metal solid body and let it work its powerful magic in the most difficult of shooting situations.
Enjoy your vacation....I need one myself...its been too long!

Best Regards!
OH I understand. If I wasn't planning on getting the X100 I'd grab the X10 before our trip. But as an old fan of the Yashica Rangefinders I've had a woody for the X100 for a long time, when the Missus says it's ok I don't pass up the chance..
01-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You going to try for one of the limited edition black X100s?