Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
The software is Autopano Pro?

My newest rescue dog was abandoned at a State Park. It took me two weeks to catch her.
Maybe, there are GPS/GSM transmitters available for dogs? The ones I see via Google are big and expensive. So maybe, a used iPhone 1st generation from ebay attached to the collar is the cheapest solution? You can locate an iPhone (if you enabled the function) via iTunes as long as the iPhone has power left for standby.

Autopano Pro: this is what I use and I'd say it is the very best. It costs though, so you may want to give Microsoft ICE a try. But it doesn't compete. You'll see the difference as soon as you try to do difficult panoramas. Difficult panoramas are the ones with many images, or moving objects, or repeating patterns, or where you moved between images, or where exposure changed, or where some of the images turned out blurry etc. ... Or where Microsoft ICE simply fails to create a flat horizon

There are many applications for panoramas (wide field of view, straightened buildings depending on the projection used, reduced noise, increased resolution etc.). But shallow DoF is none of them.

02-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I'm really interested in seeing what Sony / Nikon come out with although I've no doubt in my mind that I won't be buying one.

I really really want a Pentax FF but in the meantime I had thought about buying the D700 however the fact I can't use my Pentax lenses on it considerably lessens the attraction. I guess I will end up with either a 5D mkII or A900, as then with adaptors I can use most of my lenses on them (full MF doesn't bother me in the slightest). What is really important is that whatever they come out with has (to use Nikon terminology) a DX mode.
02-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
in the meantime I had thought about buying the D700 however the fact I can't use my Pentax lenses on it considerably lessens the attraction. I guess I will end up with either a 5D mkII or A900
I guess a Pentax FF to be announed at Photokina will have the same resolution (24MP) and a better sensor than 5DmkII or A900, leave alone the D700.

This is why I called it the 36MP club, because I believe that there will be a second 24MP full frame club with 5DmkII, A900, D3X and Pentax later this year. But don't quote me for this.
02-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There are many applications for panoramas (wide field of view, straightened buildings depending on the projection used, reduced noise, increased resolution etc.). But shallow DoF is none of them.
The “Brenizer method” panorama technique uses stitching of multiple images to achieve a shallow DOF effect you'd otherwise only get from much larger sensor/film formats.

02-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The “Brenizer method” panorama technique uses stitching of multiple images to achieve a shallow DOF effect you'd otherwise only get from much larger sensor/film formats.
Those are really great!!!! It's not really the type of photography I like but that guy has incredible technique. I'm more of a William Eggleston for color/Robert Frank or Diane Arbus for B/W person.
02-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that technique is quite impressive (hellish amount of work though)
02-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is going to be completely off topic. Please skip ...

The “Brenizer method” panorama technique uses stitching of multiple images to achieve a shallow DOF effect
Class A, thank you very much for pointing me to this.

I stand corrected!

I thought I considered what appears to be called Brenizer method (I wasn't aware of the name but already had the idea myself). Point is that I had a flaw in my thinking.

As a matter of fact, if you stitch e.g. 2x2 photos each taken at 50mm f/1.4 (with a combined FoV of a 25mm lens) then the CoC (which remains constant at say 10 pixels) is reduced to half the size relative to the stitched image height (because it doubled). I.e., DoF appears to be less shallow than from a single 50/1.4. I.e., stitching increases DoF.

From that, I drew the false conclusion that panorama stitching can't be used to produce more shallow depth of field.

My error is that I would have had to compare with a single 25mm lens image though. So, what aperture would create the panorama's CoC relative to image height (say 5 pixels using our example)? Although the CoC is smaller, it turns out that the aperture must be wider, f/0.7 to be precise. I.e., the effect only depends on the physical aperture diameter in mm. And of course, a 25mm f/0.7 would be quite a lens ...

It actually is a special case of lens equivalence, considering panorama stitching creates a sensor with increased size (and a lens with increased image circle).

Thanks for pointing my error out. Panorama stitching is indeed good to create shallow depth of filed.

02-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #38
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And the MSRP of $4000 could quickly turn into a street price below $3000. There was that Texas online shop rumor offering D800 preorders at $2700 ...
Keep dreaming if you think you'll ever touch a D800 for under $3000 at any point in 2012.
02-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Keep dreaming if you think you'll ever touch a D800 for under $3000 at any point in 2012.
If I could find it at $2700 I would pre order it now.
02-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Off-topic reply:

My error is that I would have had to compare with a single 25mm lens image though.
Better to think and sometimes overlook a detail than to never think.

I'm sure, on the whole, I'm enjoying your posts a lot more than you do mine.
02-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that technique is quite impressive (hellish amount of work though)
This is going to be completely off topic. Please skip ...

Class A, thank you very much for pointing me to this.

I stand corrected!

I thought I considered what appears to be called Brenizer method (I wasn't aware of the name but already had the idea myself). Point is that I had a flaw in my thinking.

As a matter of fact, if you stitch e.g. 2x2 photos each taken at 50mm f/1.4 (with a combined FoV of a 25mm lens) then the CoC (which remains constant at say 10 pixels) is reduced to half the size relative to the stitched image height (because it doubled). I.e., DoF appears to be less shallow than from a single 50/1.4. I.e., stitching increases DoF.

From that, I drew the false conclusion that panorama stitching can't be used to produce more shallow depth of field.

My error is that I would have had to compare with a single 25mm lens image though. So, what aperture would create the panorama's CoC relative to image height (say 5 pixels using our example)? Although the CoC is smaller, it turns out that the aperture must be wider, f/0.7 to be precise. I.e., the effect only depends on the physical aperture diameter in mm. And of course, a 25mm f/0.7 would be quite a lens ...

It actually is a special case of lens equivalence, considering panorama stitching creates a sensor with increased size (and a lens with increased image circle).

Thanks for pointing my error out. Panorama stitching is indeed good to create shallow depth of filed.

Off topic reply but..

Once you get the method down, it doesn't actually take very long to shoot a pano with this technique. And provided you are using a good stitching program such as Autopano as mentioned by Falconeye and you have a fast computer, the added post processing time doesn't amount to a whole lot.

If you do create one of these panos and want to figure out what the effective focal length/aperture is, here's a handy online calculator: Brenizer Method Calculation - By Brett Maxwell
03-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First interesting 36MP sample image

Ok, I decided to reactivate this thread. Reason is that first images which showcase the full potential of the new 36MP sensor seem to come in.

Full size image -> http://files.fotopolis.pl/download/pw-d800e-13.JPG

(D800E at ISO 100 source: Fotopolis.pl: Nikon D800E - zdj )

That's the first image I appreciate. The samples at DPR and Imaging Resource IMHO lack the technical shooting qualities to really judge the potential.

I plan to provide some own sample images with both the D800 and D800E as soon as I receive access to both cameras (read, as soon as my sources receive their deliveries). I'll share them here.

Last edited by falconeye; 03-20-2012 at 06:38 PM.
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #43
Veteran Member

D800E at ISO 100 source
Gack! - WARNING - a 20MB in-line JPG!!

I wondered why this page was so slow to load...

You really should post a smaller resized version here. Then people can follow the link to the source.
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You really should post a smaller resized version here. Then people can follow the link to the source.
This isn't my image, so I cannot edit it. I replaced with a link now. However, I thought the IMGWIDE tag does a server-side rescale&cache (and it really should). Bummer.
03-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #45
Veteran Member

This isn't my image, so I cannot edit it. I replaced with a link now. However, I thought the IMGWIDE tag does a server-side rescale&cache (and it really should). Bummer.
Isn't that image presented under CC or Fair Use? (meaning, available for download for presentation and analysis, but not for any commercial use?)