Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
36MP full frame camera club

Ok, the plot is thickening that both Nikon and Sony are just days away from launching their 36MP full frame cameras, possibly sharing the same Sony sensor.

Nikon is said to launch their camera 2012, Feb. 7. It shall be a tad smaller and lighter than the D700.

And Kenn100D just posted that Sony is already exhibiting their A99 prototypes:
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
I just got info sony's FF SLT Alpha 99 is on prototype at the moment here at Photoword Exhibit in Manila.
The A99 is rumored to have 36MP too ( Sony SLT-A99 - High ISO - First Image: Off Topic Forum: Digital Photography Review ).

So, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread combining experience and wishes for the 36MP class of FF cameras. After all, it is exactly the class I recommend Pentax to make a camera too (i.e., I am personally not much interested in a 24MP full frame from Pentax).

01-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Here's my question on 36 megapixels since I have a D700. What advantages would I be getting at 36 megapixels that would offset the large files? I would need more expensive cards, ect. I print my own photos and my Canon Pixma Pro MK II (which I will be upgrading this year) don't print larger than 13 x 19. I print either on Photo Rag, Etching Paper, or sometimes for B/W Red River metallic. I guess I just don't understand if I will be able to see a difference. I would consider upgrading to the D800 but only if I'm going to see a noticeable improvement in image quality. I don't care about the auto focus ect. My budget this year is for the new Fuji, but I guess I like would like to know if it's worth looking at the D800 for Jan. 2013? Sorry, I realize this is a Pentax forum so maybe this isn't the place to ask.. I'm soon going to not have any Pentax gear. The rest of it is for sale to fund the Fuji.
01-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a hype thread, you shouldn't be expecting any substantive answers. Not for a system that isn't even out yet.
01-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm planning on the Fuji too...pending further information on its performance, and considered a sell off of my Pentax gear....briefly...but don't think the X-Pro can replace most of what my K5 can do or my broad selection of current lenses.

I am an amateur hobbyist...nothing more...the last two months of using the little x10 has convinced me that the MP race is not where I belong, completely unnecessary, and a waste of my money.

I do have a question for Falc, I always respect his opinions and expertise. For average printing within the range of 16MP which do you think might give better results...within that range. The new 36MP sensors or even 24MP sensors or the new Fuji 16MP sensor with no AA filter? I realize this would be mostly speculation, but I viewed some X-Pro low light 3200 and 6400 shots last night and they were spectacular.

Best Regards!

01-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Your DA (aps-c) lenses will crop to 15MP, a real plus.

I'm still not convinced 36MP is the best way forward for me, but I'll await reviews, images, etc.

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-29-2012 at 08:51 AM.
01-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is a hype thread, you shouldn't be expecting any substantive answers. Not for a system that isn't even out yet.
If we were only allowed to discuss cameras that are in stores that would cut the amount of posts here by 90%. Bring on a a 36mp FF Sony Nex-9 !
01-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're right Norm...but if we didn't have tons of hype on camera Forums, any Forums, wouldn't they be dull places!
Speculation is the spice of life, along with variety. I like both!

Regards!

01-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the 36MP but with a leaked price of 4,000 Euros it doesn't have the price appeal of the previous Sony FF which kept the price low with a class leading resolution at the time of release and is still good (24.6).
01-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If we were only allowed to discuss cameras that are in stores that would cut the amount of posts here by 90%.
Now that is a true statement, and what would the fun in that be anyhow.

I would be extremely interested in such a camera, that is precisely what I've been hoping Pentax would do for quite some. Personally I have no interest whatsoever in tiny cameras, mirrorless, EVF's, or even video. I simply want a tool to create maximum IQ with the features necessary to be in control of the factors of capture, rather than having decisions made for me by software engineers assumptions. Finally, a camera capable of unquestionably professional results that respects the knowledge and skills of seasoned users. Such a thing would do wonders for the Pentax image, and reward many of us that would love to not be apologetic about being Pentax faithful.
01-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm planning on the Fuji too...pending further information on its performance, and considered a sell off of my Pentax gear....briefly...but don't think the X-Pro can replace most of what my K5 can do or my broad selection of current lenses.

I am an amateur hobbyist...nothing more...the last two months of using the little x10 has convinced me that the MP race is not where I belong, completely unnecessary, and a waste of my money.

I do have a question for Falc, I always respect his opinions and expertise. For average printing within the range of 16MP which do you think might give better results...within that range. The new 36MP sensors or even 24MP sensors or the new Fuji 16MP sensor with no AA filter? I realize this would be mostly speculation, but I viewed some X-Pro low light 3200 and 6400 shots last night and they were spectacular.

Best Regards!
Without wading into the never ending viewfinder debate, I would say the only thing the Fuji won't do as well as an APSC DSLR is auto focus. I use the X100 and X10 and they are fast enough for me. I don't shoot sports but I do shoot my three dogs (and after they rolled in coyote poop this AM I thought about literally shooting them for a few seconds....)

I think the ISO 3200 and 6400 will be Full Frame quality and maybe a bit higher.
01-29-2012, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mccook Quote
...I simply want a tool to create maximum IQ with the features necessary to be in control of the factors of capture, rather than having decisions made for me by software engineers assumptions. Finally, a camera capable of unquestionably professional results that respects the knowledge and skills of seasoned users. Such a thing would do wonders for the Pentax image, and reward many of us that would love to not be apologetic about being Pentax faithful.

What he said...

Steve
01-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #12

No interest in the A99 whatsoever. Why?

1) SLT. Air gap between rear optical element and sensor is better.
2) Lack of lenses. Manufacturers need to produce some new lenses and stop relying on the used market to fill the gap.
3) Lack of lenses. Good Minolta lenses are as hard to find as FA* lenses.
4) Lack of lenses. No 300F4?

As for the D800:

I'd like the D800 to have a small form factor and a price closer to 2000.
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Banned

What happend to the rumored 24 megapixel sensor? Is that not coming?
01-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I think the ISO 3200 and 6400 will be Full Frame quality and maybe a bit higher.
I only have seen their NR is quite good: still no details at ISO 3200 and 6400 compared to previous generation FF, but looks quite good.

Last edited by Emacs; 01-29-2012 at 03:32 PM.
01-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Zav
Pentaxian

36? Isn't it a bit close to 40?
I've heard about 3 new FF Sony sensors. Just a rumour...