Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help! Chinon CE-4: mirror stuck :-(

Hi.

My old Chinon CE-4 ain't working! Mirror is stuck in up position, film advance lever is also stuck, red light for timer is on. Please advice! (It was working yesterday.)

TIA!

02-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sticky mirror bumper?

Steve
02-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's still a problem, what happens when you turn the camera off.

Is there still a film in it or were you just trying it out?

Try removing the batteries also.

It's not set on bulb with the shutter button stuck down is it?
02-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sticky mirror bumper?
Yes. it is very sticky.... :-(

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
If it's still a problem, what happens when you turn the camera off. Is there still a film in it or were you just trying it out? Try removing the batteries also. It's not set on bulb with the shutter button stuck down is it?
I was trying to load film when it happened. It seems I have to send it to repair/ find another that is working. Too bad really, I've had this camera for 22 years, it's like an old friend. I meant to give it to my son so he could learn some manual film shooting.

02-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd better check my CE-4 then, I've had mine since the early 1980's new, when I checked a few months ago it seemed OK but you never know.
02-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zantaphia Quote
Yes. it is very sticky.... :-(
It may well just be out of sync. With many cameras, if the mirror is slow to fall, the shutter mechanism will jam or become inoperable until reset. How this is done on the Chinon, I would not know.

Steve
02-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It may well just be out of sync. With many cameras, if the mirror is slow to fall, the shutter mechanism will jam or become inoperable until reset. How this is done on the Chinon, I would not know.

Steve
Thanks! I'll investigate this further when I get home from my 3 weeks in Shanghai. My travelling companions are K-5/18-250 and MX/40.

09-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #8

Hi all,

I am having the same problem with my CE-4! Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks
01-07-2024, 06:41 PM   #9

apologies for ressing old thread. but in case anyone is still looking for answer regarding stuck filmm advance lever this maybe of use...

My Chinon CM-4 had same issue with stuck lever, and reflex mirror is locked up. Open the bottom plate, 3 screws, 2 short at either end, 1 long near battery compartment. Highlighted linkages will be in top position when the camera is ready to fire the shutter, lower position after the shutter is released. The piece highlighted in green blocks film from advancing while the red highlighted post in lower position when the shutter is primed to fire.

You can manually lift the green piece to allow film lever to advance one full frame, this reengages the shutter release button, then hold the reflex mirror to the down position, and press shutter release, this should reset everything to look like the lower half. At least that's to my best recollection as i didn't really expect anything to get fixed when I opened mine up. Maybe it'll be similar with other Chinon models close to the CM-4.

hope this helps!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Z978  Photo