Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Zack Arias has his system right now and is testing it but nothing on his blog he's asking to tweet what you want him to test for you, last tweet was he's heading to the bar

Blog • Photography By Zack Arias ? ATL ? 404-939-2263 ? studio@zackarias.com

02-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #167
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Some XPRO 1 user shots:
FUJIFILM X-Pro1 + FUJINON 35mm f1.4 - a set on Flickr

Nothing amazing, but his set has gotten about 8000 views in just the last few days so there obviously seems to be a lot of interest in the camera.
Damn! That is one fine looking camera!
As for the photos, they look like Fuji photos to me.......you either like them or not. but they have great color and for ordinary subjects like many of us shoot, they are surely equal to anything else out there from what I view. I don't see the X-Pro as having to "change photography" , just perform in that handsome body and deliver what needs to be delivered. Looks like it will do that with ease! You certainly won't be mistaken as an "ordinary" DSLR shooter, that much is certain! No one will ask if your camera is a Nikon or Canon......they have nothing like this....neither does anyone else!
Regards
02-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #168
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Damn! That is one fine looking camera!
As for the photos, they look like Fuji photos to me...

I agree, though I was not particularly impressed by the photos except for the absence of purple fringing in situations where it should have been evident. There is some CA visible in some shots and missed focus in several as well. All told, with the exception of PF, I do not see the same level of performance that I currently enjoy with my K10D and Pentax-FA 35/2.

Steve
02-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All told, with the exception of PF, I do not see the same level of performance that I currently enjoy with my K10D and Pentax-FA 35/2.
That's because the linked set doesn't have any photos greater than ISO800...

And I speak as someone who has owned the K10D and still own the FA35/2.0

02-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
That's because the linked set doesn't have any photos greater than ISO800...

And I speak as someone who has owned the K10D and still own the FA35/2.0
Did I missed something? When properly done ISO100 (200, 400,800) became worse than 1600, 3200, etc?
I always thought such a high iso is rather the last hope to take a shot than something that helps you to take a great picture.
Personally, I found these fujinion lenses performance being quite "boring". IMO X100 suffers from the similar issue. Images taken with it has no personality, just a sharp lens.
02-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #171
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Did I missed something? When properly done ISO100 (200, 400,800) became worse than 1600, 3200, etc?
I always thought such a high iso is rather the last hope to take a shot than something that helps you to take a great picture.
Personally, I found these fujinion lenses performance being quite "boring". IMO X100 suffers from the similar issue. Images taken with it has no personality, just a sharp lens.
Like I said...some like them some don't. Post shots from the finest most expensive camera and lens in the world and I will guarantee you the same results....some will like them some will not. There is nothing new about your observation, it was made when the first shot came out of the first camera on earth....and the first viewer said his camera could do as good or better....and he didn't even have a camera yet.
Regards!
02-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #172
Veteran Member

I must be getting older, i forgot what you were discussing

02-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #173
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Like I said...some like them some don't. Post shots from the finest most expensive camera and lens in the world and I will guarantee you the same results....some will like them some will not. There is nothing new about your observation, it was made when the first shot came out of the first camera on earth....and the first viewer said his camera could do as good or better....and he didn't even have a camera yet.
Regards!
Well, I for one am looking forward to seeing how the squirrels behave (or not) in front of your new camera. My comment was based on my impression and I am sure that the quality of the photos is at least partially related to the care of the photographer. The comment regarding ISO is well-taken as well. I don't shoot above ISO 800 with my K10D and pop4 knows why*.

Steve

* Apples-to-apples, at higher ISOs the Fuji should clean house on my K10D. That does not explain the lack of snap in most of the shots, but I will reserve judgement until I see results from the likes of Zack Arias.
02-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #174
Veteran Member

No, you didn't miss anything, it was more your interpretation of my comment. Note that my comment relates to the K10D and X-Pro1 cameras as a whole. Sure, low ISO performance comparisons these days are a moot point, pretty much like the megapickles argument, which is why I'm not surprised that stevebrot isn't particularly impressed with the X-Pro1 performance from the particular samples posted up. What I'm saying, and what stevebrot agrees with just above, is that the K10D does have its limits, higher ISOs being one of them, and with regards to this parameter, as stevebrot says, "the Fuji should clean house on my K10D"

Sometimes it's not mutually exclusive, and high ISO is the last hope that helps take a usable picture. Case in point, a theater shoot I did for a client early last year, where I was shooting at ~1/50th, f/2.8 and ISO3200 for most of the evening with a 70-200/2.8 on my K-7. Imagine if I was using an K10D, where i would be very reluctant to shoot with anything above ISO800. Shooting at ISO800 would have meant shooting at ~1/13th and f/2.8. Even with the help of IS, the focal lengths involved, and moving actors would've meant the chances of getting usable shots would have been very, very low. Not impossible, I must say, but it would have been very very difficult.

Of course, we do digress and this is a thread about the X-Pro1, of which I'm quite looking forward to receiving mine. Will it replace my 2x K-5 setup for shoots for clients? Hell no. But then again, that's not why I'm getting the X-Pro1.
03-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Inbox joy and sadness within an hour

Fuji Fujifilm X-Pro1 Body

The X-Pro1 features a brand new, custom-developed 16MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS sensor, newly developed filter array, next-generation Hybrid Viewfinder and Fujifilm’s proprietary EXR Processor technology. Three prime interchangeable FUJINON lenses promise enhanced resolution and light volume in image edge areas as well as reduced chromatic aberration for exceptional image quality.

Only $599.99

BUT sadly a little later

Correction Notice.

We apologize for the mistake, but the X-Pro1 Body was improperly priced in our enews today. Please note the proper price below. And we would like to extend a huge thanks to our clients who made us aware of the error.

Fuji Fujifilm X-Pro1 Body

The X-Pro1 features a brand new, custom-developed 16MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS sensor, newly developed filter array, next-generation Hybrid Viewfinder and Fujifilm’s proprietary EXR Processor technology. Three prime interchangeable FUJINON lenses promise enhanced resolution and light volume in image edge areas as well as reduced chromatic aberration for exceptional image quality.

Only $1699