Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
In common with Olympus' range-topping Four Thirds DSLRs, the E-M5 is weather sealed, as is the accompanying flash unit. The 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 kit zoom is similarly sealed. Additionally, owners of high-end, weather-resistant Four Thirds lenses will have the choice of buying the MMF-3 adapter - a sealed version of the Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapter.
So is this kit zoom so far the only WR 4/3 lens? Any others announced?

02-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Inactive Account

if I understand corectly, the announced 60mm macro is WR.
02-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like this camera, particularly the silver one. Yeah, it's a retro throwback, but I don't think that's a bad thing. The only thing I wish it had was some type of focus peaking. If I ever bought one of these, I would want the following lenses:

1. Olympus 12mm F2
2. Panasonic/Leica 25mm F1.4
3. Olympus 45mm F1.8
4. Olympus 75mm F1.8

Toss all that into a nice little Domke bag and you have a great travel/vacation setup. Ah...so many nice new cameras, but no money for them.
02-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"where's my ugly stick?" *there ...i started it*

02-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

It was already used on the K-01
02-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

How is this ugly? Or were all film cameras also ugly? ;-)
02-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Thanks for all these pix. This is the mirrorless camera I wanted Pentax to deliver. In fact, with superior IBIS and weather-sealing, it stomps all over the main Pentax advantages.

Oh, and they're releasing an all-metal 75mm f/1.8. Check it out. I can't wait to compare the rendering to the FA77. The FA Limiteds are the last decisive reason to own a Pentax.
Robin, I wish I can go out and have a coffee with you and tap into your Olympus gear for interest and knowledge seeking. I have more interest in this new camera more so than K-01. I upgraded from K20D to K7 two months ago and while I still love to shoot my Pentax with FA/DA limited primes and very much so in DA* 50-135, I have recently increased my interest in MILC after getting my feet wet with Sony NEX 5N. Now that we have more choices, the Olympus look real interesting especially on its arsenal of lens. My mind is open to the Olympus and MFT world.

I have the silly question to you: do all the Panasonic MFT lenses work on the Olympus even down to AF? That is something that I just don't know and it sound too good to be true. I am especially interested in the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. And there are all the interesting Olympus primes.

If you try to replace primes in Pentax in 15, 21, 35, 43 and 77, what is your take for replacement in the Olympus/Panasonic world with the 2x crop factor. And any great zoom to replace DA *50-135?

Thanks,
Hin
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
If I ever bought one of these, I would want the following lenses:

1. Olympus 12mm F2
2. Panasonic/Leica 25mm F1.4
3. Olympus 45mm F1.8
4. Olympus 75mm F1.8
I am considering a similira setup

1. Olympus 12mm F2
2. Panasonic 20mm F1.7
3. Olympus 45mm F1.8

02-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Get that ugly hump off of it, put on a stainless top and bottom plate, and you've got something ....as it is, you just have a "baby" DSLR by appearance, not much exciting about that to me?
Regards!
02-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Since i have the epl2 and the xz1, i'm interested but await a full review before jumping ship. The feature list is extensive, like the size and water resistance is a plus.
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Get that ugly hump off of it, put on a stainless top and bottom plate, and you've got something ....as it is, you just have a "baby" DSLR by appearance, not much exciting about that to me?
Regards!

Nah, forget about it, if I wanted a little-sensor EVF camera, that looks right. As long as the shutter release isn't in an awkward position for long fingers. (Actually, I once handled one of OLympus' attempts at a 'little' DSLR: they managed to make the controls so cramped that most of them couldn't be operated from a shooting position, ...I'd have to lower the camera and use like a fingernail, I say with only slight exaggeration. )

Put an eyecup on there and we'd be pretty good. If I was looking for something to sort of fill the role I used to use a bridge camera for, anyway. (I used to carry a Lumix FZ-7 around a lot with some fairly heavy film stuff. Actually got me through the digital gap fairly well except the tech wasn't where I'd hoped for people shots. Newspaper quality, etc. Still love the little guy, but ..too slow for most of what I wanted to do. )

The extra-tall and snaggy hotshoes of the original OM series were kind of a holdover from the fact you could simply remove them entirely on a lot of models. (And that would leave you with very small-and-snagless. ) When I was younger, I actually really loved Olympus, and considered a switch from Canon FD when I didn't like where that brand was going, ...Olympus just never could quite seem to put everything I would want together in the same camera. Basically I'd have been no better off with most brands unless I had the money to do my Canon kit right in the first place. But I was tempted. Similar case with Pentax, really: their film cameras of the time suit what I'm doing *now,* but at the time, they weren't such a great fit. (I did shoot the old 6x7, though. ) I digress, though. Except to say those were lovely cameras. )

I'm also pretty 'meh' about the articulated screen being there, but I might actually use a little thing like that for video. 4/3 sensors aren't where I'd be going for serious still quality ambitions, anyway.

I think this is just the kind of thing Pentax *could* do, though, especially if the market really doesn't want to support just having a proper DSLR a ways down the road: by then, the new display technology and materials will surely eat up a lot of the fatness of those rear screens, articulated or not, and then there'll be less to fuss about regarding the registration distance of the K-mount glass, etc, etc, etc.

I think what we all may want is a digital LX, and all, ...you could have like a digital *MX* much like this, especially if you're using an EVF.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-08-2012 at 12:43 PM.
02-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have the silly question to you: do all the Panasonic MFT lenses work on the Olympus even down to AF? That is something that I just don't know and it sound too good to be true. I am especially interested in the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. And there are all the interesting Olympus primes.

If you try to replace primes in Pentax in 15, 21, 35, 43 and 77, what is your take for replacement in the Olympus/Panasonic world with the 2x crop factor. And any great zoom to replace DA *50-135?

Thanks,
Hin
Not too good to be true at all; all members of the micro 43 consortium design their products to be integrated across brand lines as a unified system. Panasonic and Olympus bodies and lenses, and lenses from a few other interested parties now, all work together equally well.

Olympus 12mm f2 parallels the 15mm, the 17mm f2.8 pancake is similar in fov to the 21mm (though not as good a lens), the 20mm f.17 pancake and 25mm f1.4 cover similar functions to the 35 and 43, and the 45mm f1.8 fills the same role as the 70/77. I just think it's great that both systems offer a comprehensive range of tiny, fast and sharp primes in the most useful range of focal lengths.
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but one can argue that why should today's mirrorless cameras look like 70s SLRs (like the OM-D) or rangefinders (like for example the Fujis)? In that meaning the K-01 is refreshingly new. But the designers could easily go many steps further. When the cameras were using roll film, that gave the form some restrictions. Do we have to design mirrorless cameras by those (now self-imposed) restrictions still in 2012?
02-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The camera would have to be twice as thick than the OM-D or have the K-01 style mounting box on the front to make up for the flange distance needed to accept K lenses. If Pentax becomes serious about the mirrorless market segment, they better design a camera and lenses to make it functionally possible while having a smaller footprint than the K-01 (and no, not the Q). Simply removing the viewfinder and adding someone's signature on the bottom aint cutting it (IMO, of course)
I don't know. I find the K-01 size alright, it's not too small as to be ergonomically inferior. On the other side, they are getting clever on lens designs on that XS series and having lens elements extend inside the camera, so they are cutting the bulk where it matters more.
02-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but one can argue that why should today's mirrorless cameras look like 70s SLRs (like the OM-D) or rangefinders (like for example the Fujis)?

Cause if I beheld a digital FTbn, it might not be suitable for all audiences?

(I have to admit I have this old-fashioned love for a camera I can inherit, knock someone upside the head with, then photograph them with it *immediately* then decades later consider leaving to my nephews.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.