Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
But the designers could easily go many steps further
E-PM1/GF3 if you like smaller.

Or K-01 if you like bigger.

The camera market has 31 flavors right now, but many people still like vanilla and chocolate.

02-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have the silly question to you: do all the Panasonic MFT lenses work on the Olympus even down to AF? That is something that I just don't know and it sound too good to be true. I am especially interested in the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. And there are all the interesting Olympus primes.
As Robin mentioned, all lenses and bodies are interchangable. So that means you can use lenses from Olympus, Panasonic, Voigtlander, Samyang, SLR Magic and others
02-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
You want something better than 1.44 megapixel, 100% coverage, diopter adjustment, etc. at this price point? Do tell how that would be accomplished!

This is at least as good as the Olympus VF-2, which is $200 on its own.
The current technology used for the NEX-7 and the external viewfinder for the NEX-5N is 2.4 megapixel along with 100% coverage, diopter adjustment, etc.

That is how you'd do it.

Jason
02-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The current technology used for the NEX-7 and the external viewfinder for the NEX-5N is 2.4 megapixel along with 100% coverage, diopter adjustment, etc.

That is how you'd do it.

Jason
Have you actually used the NEX7 and E-M5 viewfinders?

02-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I have the NEX-5n viewfinder. I have played around with the G3, which has also a 1.44 megapixel viewfinder, probably the very same one as the OM-D. The Sony one is MUCH clearer and detailed. Since most people will use the EVF to compose their shots, why begin the process with an inferior viewfinder? The camera itself seems to be very cool and reminds me a lot of the OM my Mom gave me when I was a teenager...very smartly dressed.

The point is, if the technology is there and the EVF seems to be a coming wave in the future, why not use the best one available.

I dont see how arguing otherwise is clever or justified.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 02-09-2012 at 03:15 AM.
02-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I have the NEX-5n viewfinder. I have played around with the G3, which has also a 1.44 megapixel viewfinder, probably the very same one as the OM-D. The Sony one is MUCH clearer and detailed. Since most people will use the EVF to compose their shots, why begin the process with an inferior viewfinder? The camera itself seems to be very cool and reminds me a lot of the OM my Mom gave me when I was a teenager...very smartly dressed.

The point is, if the technology is there and the EVF seems to be a coming wave in the future, why not use the best one available.

Jason
Because cameras also require lenses not just viewfinders and the Sony Nex system has one good lens. MFT has Olympus 12, Olympus 45mm, Panasonic 7-14mm, Panasonic 20mm, Panasonic 25mm, and two very good upcoming lenses from Olympus. Sony's answer to photography is buy an adapter. I would have bought a NEX 7 except for the lens problem. I'm glad I passed once I saw their lens roadmap.

http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Sony-E-mount-lens-roadpam-2012.jpg

I'm not a MFT proponent but the Olympus looks like a lot more promising photographic system than the NEX. I'm sure the NEX 5 and 7 are great cameras but I think they would sell more of them if they would actually make good lenses for them.
02-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I am only referring to the viewfinder. Both cameras and both systems as a whole have their pluses and minuses.

But since the subject was mentioned above...here is the new Sony E mount lens road map as of yesterday: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-new-sony-nex-lens-roadmap-need-help-for-translation/ This of course, does not include the third party E mounts which are popping up more and more frequently...The NEX system was only released in June 2010 and the Panasonic/Oly m4/3 has been out since September 2008. Not only longer time on the market, but with brands co-opping on the lenses. I think the NEX lens lineup will be in great shape once it has been on the market that long.

It will be interesting to see how many lenses Fuji designs for its new Digital rangefinder-like body.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 02-09-2012 at 05:49 AM.
02-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but one can argue that why should today's mirrorless cameras look like 70s SLRs (like the OM-D) or rangefinders (like for example the Fujis)? In that meaning the K-01 is refreshingly new. But the designers could easily go many steps further. When the cameras were using roll film, that gave the form some restrictions. Do we have to design mirrorless cameras by those (now self-imposed) restrictions still in 2012?
Your point is a good one, but in the case of the E-M5 every part is there for a functional reason, not simply to emulate some old-school look. (Near as I can tell.) Sure, the finishing aesthetics are an emulation, but that hurts no-one.

The hump some are complaining about is where the EVF must go for comfortable positioning, unlike where other brands have chosen to place it. This camera is actually smaller in height than putting the VF-2 on an E-P3! I guess those people would rather not have an EVF at all?
02-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
E-PM1/GF3 if you like smaller.

Or K-01 if you like bigger.

The camera market has 31 flavors right now, but many people still like vanilla and chocolate.
That's exactly what I did not mean. A camera with a digital sensor can be shaped in so many ways different from the traditional roll film camera and still be practical and ergonomic.
02-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Robin, I wish I can go out and have a coffee with you and tap into your Olympus gear for interest and knowledge seeking.
Hin, I would love to share coffee and food and go shooting too! But not because I am any sort of expert on MFT. Rather because I love your enthusiasm, critical viewpoint, and excellent photographic eye!

I have only one MFT camera and a few lenses, only one of which is actually made for that native mount. It's the Panasonic 20/1.7 which makes so much sense as a "first lens". I carry that and the G. Zuiko Auto-S 40mm F1.4, which was made for the Pen-F film cameras and so is a perfect fit, literally and aesthetically!

This gives me a normal and short tele, which is generally all I need in life. But if I wanted, I could buy any lens from any platform ever made (some few exceptions) and be assured I could shoot with them, with automatic metering and stabilisation.

That is the wonder of the Olympus PEN. The E-M5 adds all the icing to that cake one could ever want.
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't how well it performs, but I think the design of the OM-D is total class. It's one of the nicest looking cameras in recent memory, IMO.
02-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Hin, I would love to share coffee and food and go shooting too! But not because I am any sort of expert on MFT. Rather because I love your enthusiasm, critical viewpoint, and excellent photographic eye!

I have only one MFT camera and a few lenses, only one of which is actually made for that native mount. It's the Panasonic 20/1.7 which makes so much sense as a "first lens". I carry that and the G. Zuiko Auto-S 40mm F1.4, which was made for the Pen-F film cameras and so is a perfect fit, literally and aesthetically!

This gives me a normal and short tele, which is generally all I need in life. But if I wanted, I could buy any lens from any platform ever made (some few exceptions) and be assured I could shoot with them, with automatic metering and stabilisation.

That is the wonder of the Olympus PEN. The E-M5 adds all the icing to that cake one could ever want.
@Robin, much thanks for your kind words and comments. The OM-D is the icing on the cake and I am excited to see all the new development. While I intend to hold onto my Pentax limited gear, it is very tempting to think of the possibility of the OM gear with the lighter weight, the need of longer lens with 2x factor, the darn-good option of EVF and hot-shoe mounting. The new camera is really outstanding in many fronts -- I share your enthusiasm as well. You should take a good look at this article from an Olympus faithful

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: Olympus Fans Rejoice !!! The OM-D is real. And it might be awesome.

I have been preached with lots of ignorance in staying Pentax-only. My recent purchase of Sony NEX 5N really opens my mind-set to MTF, Fuji, Sony and the likes. It really adds excitement when the mirror-less world has shifted the market with new products with innovations and features and designs that appeal to the photo-enthusiasts who care less on the camera brand.

Cheers,
Hin
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure anything will ever beat the FA Limiteds. I really do believe they give me a special edge. But Olympus have an all-metal 75mm f/1.8 coming out that looks ready to try. They really should have made it 77mm just for all the eyebrows that would have raised!
02-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Jason
Because viewfinder performance is influenced by so much more than simply resolution - noise, refresh-rate, colour fidelity, dynamic range and black-out are all as important (perhaps more so) than pure resolution.

The NEX7/5N viewfinders may indeed be better, my point is simply that at the moment no one knows.
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #45
Veteran Member

A note: the OM-D viewfinder is indeed the same resolution as the G3's, but the data rate is twice as fast, which should improve some aspects of shooting. Additionally, it'll drop the data rate to match the G3 to free up data for fancy things like shooting at 9fps with no blackout or 4.3 fps with no blackout and full tracking AF. So it's not like it doesn't bring anything new and useful to the table in that arena. Whether the viewing quality has been improved at all (despite the same resolution) is something I haven't really heard much about yet, and in any case may be affected by final firmware.