Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #46

I've been looking for a camera to replace my aging eos 10d. After lots of reading, I narrowed it down to the nex series, the new k01, and then the omd/em5.

I'd have preferred it had the sony sensor, but oly has always had a knack for squeezing the best out of whatever sensors it uses. Excellent jpeg quality means less post processing (raw). I am buying a camera to take pictures NOW, not at some time in the future when/if lenses are available, so I ruled out the sony.

I really like the k01, but to be honest, the oly presents the complete package including the evf, as well as an established lens base. Pre-ordered the em5/12-50 kit as soon as it became available. Still anxiously awaiting the reviews of the k-01, as it looks like an outstanding package.

Steve

Last edited by desmoface; 02-10-2012 at 11:22 AM.
02-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Here's another brief hands-on preview with a pre-production unit. It's by a Finnish photographer, but in English.

pekkapotka - Journal - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Hands-on
02-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desmoface Quote
I've been looking for a camera to replace my aging eos 10d. After lots of reading, I narrowed it down to the nex series, the new k01, and then the omd/em5.

I'd have preferred it had the sony sensor, but oly has always had a knack for squeezing the best out of whatever sensors it uses. Excellent jpeg quality means less post processing (raw). I am buying a camera to take pictures NOW, not at some time in the future when/if lenses are available, so I ruled out the sony.

I really like the k01, but to be honest, the oly presents the complete package including the evf, as well as an established lens base. Pre-ordered the em5/12-50 kit as soon as it became available. Still anxiously awaiting the reviews of the k-01, as it looks like an outstanding package.

Steve
I think the new sensor will also be released in the Panasonic GH-3. The original GH-1 was within 1/2 of a stop of the Canon 7D in terms of noise which was obviously very good for a M4/3. The GH-2 was optimized for HD video and did not perform as well. All the the GH series sensors have on sensor A/D converters like the Sony sensors. These are the only M4/3 sensor to employ this technology. Even with the new sensor it probably will not reach the same IQ as the K-5, but I would expect it to exceed the quality of the 7D. If it does have the new Panasonic GH sensor it will have very good IQ. Panasonic has been putting a lot of resources into catching Sony.
02-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think the new sensor will also be released in the Panasonic GH-3. The original GH-1 was within 1/2 of a stop of the Canon 7D in terms of noise which was obviously very good for a M4/3. The GH-2 was optimized for HD video and did not perform as well. All the the GH series sensors have on sensor A/D converters like the Sony sensors. These are the only M4/3 sensor to employ this technology. Even with the new sensor it probably will not reach the same IQ as the K-5, but I would expect it to exceed the quality of the 7D. If it does have the new Panasonic GH sensor it will have very good IQ. Panasonic has been putting a lot of resources into catching Sony.
Out of genuine interest, have you actually used both the GH1 and GH2? You're the only person I've ever heard say that the GH1 has better IQ (except DXO)...

02-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I think it's the same sensor the Panasonic G3 uses.
02-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Well, that is very good news indeed. I am perfectly happy with ISO 6400 on my 7D (when printing, not pixel peeping), so if the E-M5 is in the same realm it is more than I could hope for.
02-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I want this camera so bad, and I honestly love the viewfinder hump.

02-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Out of genuine interest, have you actually used both the GH1 and GH2? You're the only person I've ever heard say that the GH1 has better IQ (except DXO)...
I have both the GH1 and GH2 - I don't see a discernible difference between the two with regards to stills.

It's funny because I got the GH2 first and then the GH1 as a cheap backup. I was surprised that the GH1 was as good because I just assumed that all newer models are just better overall.
02-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's a lot of GH1 vs. GH2 image quality debate. I'd take the GH2, of the pair, but they each have their pros and cons.

All indications are that it is NOT the same sensor as in the G3. Whether a retooled GH2 sensor, a heavily retooled G3 sensor, an entirely new Olympus-designed sensor manufactured by panasonic, or something else completely, still remains to be seen. But we have been promised a 33% increase in DR, 1/3 stop improvement in high ISO noise, and multi-aspect shooting with no loss of resolution. What specifications do exist so far (just some basic numbers, sadly) match the GH2 sensor better than the G3 sensor. Things may be cleared up more definitively during a Q&A with an Olympus higher-up on the 18th.
02-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
But we have been promised a 33% increase in DR, 1/3 stop improvement in high ISO noise, and multi-aspect shooting with no loss of resolution.
Not true. Check the actual specifications:

4:3 - 4608 x 3456px
3:2 - 4608 x 3072px
16:9 - 4608 x 2592px

The horizontal pixel width doesn't change = no native multi-aspect shooting.
02-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
But we have been promised a 33% increase in DR, 1/3 stop improvement in high ISO noise, and multi-aspect shooting with no loss of resolution.
If the first point is true, this camera is better than I thought. That's the main advantage of the K-5, IMO.
02-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I used the GH-1 a couple of times. I was shooting an Olympus E-3 at the time and I was watching M4/3 and the sensor tech. I never had a chance to shoot the GH-2, but the guy who's GH-1 I used bought the GH-2 and sold it after a few months. I never got a chance to use it. My opinion is based of off conversations with him. I have not really looked at the GH-2 on DxO. It is not a camera I have been interested in. Since leaving the 4/3 world I have not looked back much.
02-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not true. Check the actual specifications:

4:3 - 4608 x 3456px
3:2 - 4608 x 3072px
16:9 - 4608 x 2592px

The horizontal pixel width doesn't change = no native multi-aspect shooting.
Good catch. Since the multi-aspect with no cropping claim has come from two olympus representatives so far, it sounds like Pentax isn't the only company with a marketing department that's inept at describing their own product.

The total and effective pixel counts of the G3 (and matching GX1) differ from those of the E-M5. We'll have to wait and see if that means anything, I suppose.
02-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
How is this ugly? Or were all film cameras also ugly? ;-)
After salivating over the first leaked pictures, and the concept of a digital OM-1, I have to say I am slightly disappointed by the look of this camera! It's a bit 'intense' looking with it's sharp angles and highly peaked samurai-helmet EVF hump. I prefer the original OM-1 and the digital PEN series to be honest!

It does steal a lot of the K5's thunder though, combining that sort of feature set in a compact body.
02-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I think it's the same sensor the Panasonic G3 uses.
This may be true, but it will likely be an updated version given the listed ISO capability. One thing with sensors that Olympus and Pentax appear to share is the programming know-how to get the absolute best out of whatever current crop of sensors are available. The K-5 did this with it's sony sensor, and I've no doubt the one in the Olympus will do the same. I'll be picking this camera up without a doubt, the addition of weather sealing makes it a great camera. The m4/3 camera and lens lineup has always been interesting to me as much as my Pentax gear. Ever since having the gf1/20mm combo (which I've long sold and never been able to replace, and will get the lens again with the om-d) I've had a soft spot for m4/3 (I particularly enjoy adapting the 43mm, it produces great portraits on m4/3 cameras).