Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
This may be true, but it will likely be an updated version given the listed ISO capability. One thing with sensors that Olympus and Pentax appear to share is the programming know-how to get the absolute best out of whatever current crop of sensors are available. The K-5 did this with it's sony sensor, and I've no doubt the one in the Olympus will do the same. I'll be picking this camera up without a doubt, the addition of weather sealing makes it a great camera. The m4/3 camera and lens lineup has always been interesting to me as much as my Pentax gear. Ever since having the gf1/20mm combo (which I've long sold and never been able to replace, and will get the lens again with the om-d) I've had a soft spot for m4/3 (I particularly enjoy adapting the 43mm, it produces great portraits on m4/3 cameras).
Actual RAW files are now floating around, and the file characteristics are turning out to be totally different from the previous panasonic sensors. Best analysis I've read so far (mathematical analysis, whereas most others are just subjective impressions) found the read noise of an ISO 640 RAW file to be more than 1 stop lower than ISO 640 GH2 RAW files, analysis of the rest forthcoming. Everyone is reporting that low ISO files can be pushed to a far greater extent before deteriorating than the other panasonic sensors, the same factor that lead me to prefer the K-x over K20D.

This along with the interesting statements from Olympus management mean that it's looking less and less likely to be a retooled GX1 or GH2 sensor, the case that I was expecting and fully prepared to live with.

02-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

initial part with IBIS off using E-M5+EZ.M75-300mm f4.8-6.7 600mm

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.
02-17-2012, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

02-19-2012, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

Excellent, Hinman!

And now they tested Olympus 45mm f1.8:

“We have here another very fine and impressive lens, and one that is fully capable of holding its own against APS-C cameras and also against certain full-frame models...”

Regards,
D

02-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still people won't believe it. I got an awful slagging in another thread for suggesting there was little difference between MFT and APS-C in real-world shots. Funny thing is, at the same time I got a request for one of my images (made with MFT) that the subject loves so much they are going to blow up into a poster. ;-)

Some will pixel peep while others will take photos.
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Just found this blog that is worth looking into with images and video

Robin Wong

Anyone who is taking a strong interest in OM-D with a purchase plan?

Cheers,
Hin
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had one on preorder for a while now. First in line for a retailer getting the first batch.

To me, 4/3 has gotten "good enough" for all my needs at this point, and then some. With cameras being as good as they are (and me not needing noise free ISO 12800, 1080p 60fps video bla bla), I find myself looking more for a camera that suits me function and form wise than one with the ultimate performance on a spec sheet. Five or ten years ago the market was different, but these days we are blessed with gear that performs so well that we don't need to chase the latest and greatest to get what we "need". I am sure the D800, 5D Mk III etc are fantastic cameras, but when shooting what I shoot and printing 13x19 or so from the files, they really would not make enough of a difference to warrant the cost nor the size and weight penalty.

edit: as for plans lens wise, I am getting the 12-50 since it seems pretty OK and is weather sealed (which is important to me), and adding the 45/1.8 since I like short teles and the performance appears to be exceptional. The 25/1.4 is also a candidate, and the 12/2 is on my short list though to be honest I don't find myself shooting wider angle lenses as much as I think I will.
03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to use an Olympus E1... it was only 5million pixel but more than enough for 12" x 16" prints which were biting sharp.
Olympus lenses too have always been second to none. ive always loved Olympus digital. I would be using the E5 now if I didnt think it was there last SLR.
Ive always prefered the not so elongated shape sensor too. Even back in the day of 35mm i used to think what a stupid shape.
Im just gutted it aint got an OVF sob sob. In every other respect its an outstanding camera.
Not sure if the shutter has been tested to 300,000 shutter actuations like the E5 though.