Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
New Sigma DP1 and DP2 Merrill with the same 46MP Foveon X3 sensor from the Sigma SD1

Sigma's Official Webpage for DP1 Merrill

Sigma's Official Webpage for DP2 Merrill

Other sites

Photorumors

Photography Blog

Pocket-Lint

More Photos

FYI, the top and back look exactly the same between the DP1 Merrill and DP2 Merrill. The only difference are the fixed lenses. The DP1 Merrill comes with a 30mm f2.8 and the DP2 Merrill comes with a 19mm f2.8

02-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

They can be nice back-up cameras, if the price is right.
02-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am a certified DP addict. When are these going to be for sale?
02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read because of the way Sigma counts it's pixels, 3 per site... when every one else counts one pixel per site, that the 46 Mp Foveon image is actually about the same as a K5 image, in terms of pixel count and IQ. It doesn't say it for the DP1, but it says it for the SD1 which is the same sensor.
4704x3136. Not even as many MP as a K-5. And only 12 Bit colour depth. I hate the way Sigma does this.. their images should be better, accept they aren't, and their numbers of pixels for printing are always below everyone else's. They want $7,000 for K-5 quality. Everytime I get excited about them, they let me down. The DP1 probably doesn't actually work any better than a K-01.

When I save my K20D files as 16 bit Tiff's theay are 83 Mb, however, I'd never claim it was an 86 Mp camera.

02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Given the price of the SD1, I don't expect these to be reasonable in price.
02-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read because of the way Sigma counts it's pixels, 3 per site... when every one else counts one pixel per site, that the 46 Mp Foveon image is actually about the same as a K5 image, in terms of pixel count and IQ. It doesn't say it for the DP1, but it says it for the SD1 which is the same sensor.
4704x3136. Not even as many MP as a K-5. And only 12 Bit colour depth. I hate the way Sigma does this.. their images should be better, accept they aren't, and their numbers of pixels for printing are always below everyone else's. They want $7,000 for K-5 quality. Everytime I get excited about them, they let me down. The DP1 probably doesn't actually work any better than a K-01.

When I save my K20D files as 16 bit Tiff's theay are 83 Mb, however, I'd never claim it was an 86 Mp camera.
Technically even though the true resolution is 3x less, the amount of detail at low ISO should be better than a k-5 because of the way the Foveon sensor works and the lack of a AA filter required.

But their price is a little ridiculous anyways - they have a new SD1 out now though, for $3200.
02-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yea, I was a bit hesitant to put "46MP', but I wanted to emphasize that it's the same sensor as the one found in the SD1. However, there are reports that images produced from the SD1 do scale up quite smoothly to larger sizes.

I'm not a Sigma fan at all, but in my opinion these two releases are a great move on Sigma's part. If SIgma is not willing to join another proprietary mount, than I think Sigma should focus only on non-ILC's and offer "compact" packages that stand out like these two.

02-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
That's what I'm afraid of. If they are $799 or less I'm on board.
02-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
That's what I'm afraid of. If they are $799 or less I'm on board.
Given the "price drop" of the SD1 from $7000 to $2300 (link), I don't think $799 would be an impossible target to hope for (although perhaps something closer to $1000 is more likely).
02-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sigma could had made a tremendous impact last year if they didn't get way over their head. I believe it's too late for them to even make a late surge. with the competition tightening up further and harder this year, the SD1 won't sell that much. well, they would had sold a lot for $2,300........LAST YEAR. for this year, it's dead on the water against the NEX, Fuji, Samsung, Ricoh/Pentax, Canon and Nikon's new offering.
02-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Sigma could had made a tremendous impact last year if they didn't get way over their head. I believe it's too late for them to even make a late surge. with the competition tightening up further and harder this year, the SD1 won't sell that much. well, they would had sold a lot for $2,300........LAST YEAR. for this year, it's dead on the water against the NEX, Fuji, Samsung, Ricoh/Pentax, Canon and Nikon's new offering.
Even last year, the SD1 was lacking but I agree it would have helped them a lot at that price. They weren't lacking with the sensor, but for everything else inside the camera. It doesn't even have a 100% coverage viewfinder.
02-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
A good point. But I'm guessing they make most of their money of lenses for other mounts.
02-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Given the "price drop" of the SD1 from $7000 to $2300 (link), I don't think $799 would be an impossible target to hope for (although perhaps something closer to $1000 is more likely).
Maybe they will have pity on me.....

I'm hoping they post the price soon. I will cancel the Olympus EM or OM or whatever it's called if these are reasonable. I'm really ambivalent about that camera, but I just have some money sunk in good MFT lenses. I wish I had sold them last year then I wouldn't have this problem.
02-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

No viewfinder.....if I had to choose, the K-01 would seem the much better deal for me.
02-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Sigma could have sold me one of these long ago... just because I was curious about the technology.... if their pricing wasn't so ridiculous. At one point Polaroid was poised to launch a point and shoot with a foveon sensor, I read all the stats and hype and waited for the pre-order to happen. It never happened. that camera was on the Polaroid website for over 2 years and it never came out. There are so many cameras like this I'd love to get my hands on, I'd love to get one of these a K-5 and a D700 for a comparison shoot. Somehow I don't think camera companies want stuff like that to happen. They want to be able to con people. To create the illusion that they have something great, and to have people believe the hype and spread it. I honestly don't know who would buy an SD1 at either $7000 or $2300 without some pretty convincing comparative photos.

I mean, there's about 5 sigma lenses I'd actually like to own. And they're a long way from a complete set.