Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone considering the x100 ? I have the k-x and a number of lenses, and I do like the look of the k-01, but probably will wait till I need to replace the DSLR before I move to that. Would have preferred if it were a bit smaller. I liked the x-pro, but too expensive, and I dont want to start a new lens collection so think I will be getting a X100 to play with.

02-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member

isn't this the non-Pentax section

I've decided to hang out for the 'D400' announcement, before deciding on that, trying for a runout D300s or lastly, grabbing a D7000.
02-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Would you be selling the nx200 then?
definitely.........................................NOT !

it's a perfect camera for the pancakes. it may still not be as good as the K-5 sensor but is quite close and as good as the K-5 in it's best. besides it is 4 MP more than the K-5, so it's not that really far behind.

the NX100 is a keeper as well to keep the missus happy and encouraged with doing photography. she might probably use it with the zoom kits 18-55 and 20-50. and I could borrow it if I need a 3rd wheel camera for shooting since I'd be shooting with primes and no longer have to swap lenses.
02-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Will be picking up Canon's G1X (on pre-order) for my Canon bag that's for sure....the others i'll "brood" for awhile.
That's me too, G1X now, wait on everything else.

02-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I may get a K-01 for the wife,
and Im not sure about my plans, my heads all cloudy looking into the future. The Nikon D800 is very tempting and I hear it calling my name.

Ive always said that 2012 will be the year I go FF....
02-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
isn't this the non-Pentax section

I've decided to hang out for the 'D400' announcement, before deciding on that, trying for a runout D300s or lastly, grabbing a D7000.
I think it's best described as the Pentax users dabbling to varying degrees in other stuff section.
02-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I'm very happy with my K-5 and Limiteds. Like most Pentax DSLRs that I've handled, it just feels assuringly right, yet more so. I enjoy being able to take my kit to work in a small bag. I naturally look forward to seeing Pentax's potential FF hand, mainly as I'm curious of how the FAs will perform. A D800e with 35 f/1.4 would be alright I suppose.

Whatever happens (reality check), this year will be very quiet on the purchase front as we're expecting our second child in May.

02-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am getting a little bemused here. My thoughts are that if one would change the systems, it would have to be for the better, and not the other way around. Specifically, the members who are indicating moving to an Olympus system m4/3, from Pentax K20 apsc.
This is definitely a backward step. and to me makes no sense unless one already has Olympus lenses. I have a K20, and an Oly EPL1 which i use for casual shooting only when the SLR would not be appropriate. From my own experience, the Pentax is way ahead in IQ. Admittedly, the EPL1 is not the latest sensor, but neither is the my K20. Am I missing a point here - please enlighten me since to me this sort of move is illogical, aspecially if one already has a selection of good Pentax lenses. Wouldn't upgrading from K20 to K5 or even the new K-01 make more sense?
02-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VladM Quote
I am getting a little bemused here. My thoughts are that if one would change the systems, it would have to be for the better, and not the other way around. Specifically, the members who are indicating moving to an Olympus system m4/3, from Pentax K20 apsc.
This is definitely a backward step. and to me makes no sense unless one already has Olympus lenses. I have a K20, and an Oly EPL1 which i use for casual shooting only when the SLR would not be appropriate. From my own experience, the Pentax is way ahead in IQ. Admittedly, the EPL1 is not the latest sensor, but neither is the my K20. Am I missing a point here - please enlighten me since to me this sort of move is illogical, aspecially if one already has a selection of good Pentax lenses. Wouldn't upgrading from K20 to K5 or even the new K-01 make more sense?
Size matters . I find I use my camera the most when on travel. If I can mount a pancake prime to the new Olympus and fit it into a smallish belt pouch it would be nice. A small camera is also more discrete, which is nice. I also value weather-sealing, and do not see another company coming out with a small weather=sealed mirrorless camera any time soon. The k-5 was/is very tempting, but I just don't think it fits my style of shooting as well as the new Olympus will.

Also, I think you have to define IQ. It seems as if IQ has taken the meaning of lower noise at high ISO settings and the ability to restore a photo who's exposure was messed up in Photoshop. From my understanding, the Olympus' IQ is on par with DSLRs at low ISO settings (or at least very close). If this is not the case, I will have to rethink my future direction. But, I have seen some beautiful landscape shots done with advanced point and shoot cameras (a much smaller sensor), I think the micro 4/3 sensor will be adequate (But I am always looking to find out more information). As far as depth of field is concerned, Small Olympus lenses are about a stop stop faster than DA limited lenses (which I will get if I stick with Pentax). So control over depth of field should be about equal.

Also, at high ISO settings it kills my current K200D (ISO 800 is the max usable ISO, and 1600 is the absolute max).

Anyhow, that is the reason why I am thinking of purchasing the Olympus. I am very interested in the difference IQ between older Pentax cameras (i.e. k20 and k-7) with DA limited lenses and micro 4/3 cameras with top of the line lenses, so if you have any insight, feel free to pass it along.
02-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #55

Indeed, there are lots of nice cameras being released.

The Fuji X-Pro1 looks to be a very promising system. The lenses are fast and small and actually reasonable in price at about $600 a piece. It remains to be seen if the lens performance is up to snuff. Not sure if I can swallow the price of the body though I hear Fuji will be releasing other bodies in the future.

The new Olympus E-M5 looks very well executed, and at a body only price of about $1k compares well with the other micro four thirds bodies, but not so much against, say, a Pentax K5 since there is a premium to the small bodies (admittedly the K5 is a 1+ year old model, but it is another weather proof camera). I really like the prime lenses in the micro four thirds system; so I just got the cheapest m43 body (EPL1) to get the privilege of using those lenses.

As nice as a compact system is, I still enjoy using the Pentax Kx. It offers a lot better IQ past ISO800 than m43 and much more responsive. Ideally, something like a Pentax K-01 with a built-in EVF would come out so I'm waiting.
02-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
Also, I think you have to define IQ. It seems as if IQ has taken the meaning of lower noise at high ISO settings and the ability to restore a photo who's exposure was messed up in Photoshop. From my understanding, the Olympus' IQ is on par with DSLRs at low ISO settings (or at least very close). If this is not the case, I will have to rethink my future direction. But, I have seen some beautiful landscape shots done with advanced point and shoot cameras (a much smaller sensor), I think the micro 4/3 sensor will be adequate (But I am always looking to find out more information). As far as depth of field is concerned, Small Olympus lenses are about a stop stop faster than DA limited lenses (which I will get if I stick with Pentax). So control over depth of field should be about equal.

Also, at high ISO settings it kills my current K200D (ISO 800 is the max usable ISO, and 1600 is the absolute max).

Anyhow, that is the reason why I am thinking of purchasing the Olympus. I am very interested in the difference IQ between older Pentax cameras (i.e. k20 and k-7) with DA limited lenses and micro 4/3 cameras with top of the line lenses, so if you have any insight, feel free to pass it along.
I have an Olympus EPL1, and indeed at ISO 200-400, IQ is perfectly fine and rivals my Pentax Kx, but the Kx is still the winner because of its good DR. The newer M43 sensors are better than the EPL1, but I keep hearing the DR is still not as good as the APS-C even at low ISO settings. On the EPL1, I would strongly prefer not to shoot past ISO800 but as you had pointed out, the Olympus lenses have a stop advantage in speed which helps with the high ISO tradeoff. Still, in low-light situations, the Pentax Kx usually gets the nod in these cases.
02-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I think you kind of answered your own question - "for casual shooting only when the SLR would not be appropriate."
I think that the older M43 sensors (as in my GF2) lagged a bit, particularly in low light, but the newer sensors are coming along nicely. Still behind the best APS-C, but very good now.

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
Size matters . I find I use my camera the most when on travel. If I can mount a pancake prime to the new Olympus and fit it into a smallish belt pouch it would be nice. A small camera is also more discrete, which is nice. I also value weather-sealing, and do not see another company coming out with a small weather=sealed mirrorless camera any time soon. The k-5 was/is very tempting, but I just don't think it fits my style of shooting as well as the new Olympus will.

I purchased a Panasonic GH2 at the end of 2010 and have been blogging about it. I had a K20d before and sold it because I thought the GH2 was its equal in many ways:

What Blog is this?: So long, farewell...

Here are more blog posts about the GH2:
What Blog is this?: GH2
02-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #58
Inactive Account

since I am one of those users I'll add my thoughts. The m43 setup is much lighter. To me thats important because I carry my gear on long hikes. Also its more compact.
As for the IQ. I rarely do PP and I would like to keep it that way. So I'm mainly interested in the out of camera image quality (and mainly in good light). And that is Olympuses forte. I LOVE Pentax colours I get from my K20d but Olympus colours are excellent to.

I'm not jumping ship yet. I like my K20d and I'm pretty sure I'd like the k5. But I'm interested in video and will wait and see what video capabilities will the next K iteration offer and then make up my mind. I love my DA 70/2.4, but the m43 system offers a nice, small AND bright wide prime (12mm, f2) and that is a BIG plus in my book.
02-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Trust me I am tempted...tempted by the D800, Fuji Xpro-1, Olympus OM-D and even wishing for the Samsung NX20. But, my damn K-5 does so many things so well and every other camera also has some short falls, I repeatedly come to the conclusion of just keep shooting with the K-5.

If Pentax releases a FF for a decent price (around $2k) I would get it yesterday just because I don't have to worry about buying even more lenses and keep cost down, not that I need it, but for a total cost of $2k willing to give FF a try (I want to use my FA*28-70 on it).

P.S: I at one time thought Pentax could release a mirrorless FF but I think it will never happen...I can't imagine them releasing all these DA lenses and not one FA lens (Even lenses that work on FF are designtaed as DA's, and if Pentax is even remotely thinking of a FF will call their lenses FA if it works on a FF)
02-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Trying hard to resist the call of the Olympus OM-D E-M5. Can someone convince me otherwise? All I need is a weathersealed zoom, 12/2 and 20/1.7 primes. Only wish the weathersealed kit zoom was a little more conservative on the long end of the zoom range and have a little bigger aperture. Other than that it seems to be the perfect package for quick and light adventures! Oh, and I'm curious about the battery life of the E-M5. If it's only going to be 300 shots then I might need to pass. Or carry a few extra batteries.

K-01 is interesting, but not compelling enough for me to want to upgrade. I think it will be a great camera for many people, but I generally prefer weathersealing, eye level viewfinder, and dual dials no matter what the camera is. Maybe if they make a higher level mirrorless with these features, I will be quite interested. But of course, if I have the OM-D at that time then I'd probably have to make a tough decision.

D800 is interesting, but out of my reasonable price range. Sure, I could manage to afford it, but what would I gain? A couple pounds of extra camera and a couple pounds less in the wallet. I'll sit on my pentax FF lenses and wait for Pentax to enter the game with a more compact lightweight FF solution. I'm thinking it'll happen with Ricoh in charge, not sure when though.