Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Question - how do you know your place in line @ B&H?
I wrote "I think I'm something like 10th . . ." based on other conversations about the order. The circumstances cannot be repeated, I don't think. I just got lucky.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-10-2012 at 07:42 AM.
02-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Theres no doubt that I'm going to be moving to FF either next year or the year after. If Pentax gets its act together by then I'll likely stay if not then I'm going to the system who has the better offering, by then reviews of the D800/5d MKIII should be out and hopefully a clear winner, prices should have gone down lower than when they come out. Won't be selling my APS-C Pentax stuff though, likely going to keep it for holidays/dangerous places my plan is to have a WR set DA*16-50, DA*50-135 and DFA100mm WR macro so the Pentax gear will be the camping/hiking gear.

Last edited by Verglace; 02-10-2012 at 07:53 AM.
02-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote

Whatever happens (reality check), this year will be very quiet on the purchase front as we're expecting our second child in May.
Congrats bickrs!!
02-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #64
Veteran Member

It's great that so much is happening in the camera industry right now: finally new FF DSLRs, more great MILCs, Pentax wakes up, Fuji (re-)enters enthusiast cameras. But for me the camera priorities are slowly changing. For quite some time I was hoping for a FF Pentax DSLR, or to be able to afford a FF DSLR system by another brand (read: Nikon). But I find it more and more unlikely that I'll buy a FF DSLR of any brand. I'm more heading to the direction of MILCs (with a sensor certainly not smaller than µ4/3, preferably as big as APS-C or perhaps even FF).

But I still find choosing the MILC family to buy into very difficult.

K mount Pentax MILC might be obvious, but it remains to be seen whether they release one with a viewfinder (or a tiltable LCD at the minimum). That's a must for me.

Olympus OM-D sounds great, albeit expensive. However, I still feel the µ4/3 sensors a lagging behind even considering the size. A huge advantage of the µ4/3 system is several lens makers, two camera makers and a large system already. But bordering too big a sacrifice in high ISO IQ department.

Sony NEX: Maybe. Probably. Perhaps the sweet spot for me.

Samsung NX: I even bought an NX10 cheaply, but to me it's starting to look Samsung isn't as serious in this business as they announced a while ago. Just don't trust them enough any more to invest more than the cheap one lens combo I already have.

Fuji: Their MILC sounds brilliant. Still a bit expensive for me at release. And time will show if it'll be a real long perspective system.

02-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote
Whatever happens (reality check), this year will be very quiet on the purchase front as we're expecting our second child in May.
We're having our second late April/early May. So now I want even more equipment You're right though, better do a reality check.
02-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
We're having our second late April/early May. So now I want even more equipment You're right though, better do a reality check.
Congrats to you as well! (no better excuse to get new equipment - kids shots!)
02-10-2012, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
I am glad I posted this for my own benefit...it is interesting to see that while we are all different, we all share a lot of similarities. We all seem to get excited when new cameras arrive, we all seem to get the "fever" for something new....at least most of us. I also note that as time goes by the fever wanes a bit......but new models always come along to reignite the fires.
This is not as addictive as crack cocaine....but I'm thinking it may be pretty close....just more expensive!

Here's to everyone wanting a new adventure, I hope you get it, and I hope it satisfies at least long enough for you to see the next bend in the river and your curiosity draws you in that direction.

Regards!

02-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We are seeing a lot of new cameras of all brands, with more to come soon no doubt. Just wondering what your plans are in response? Anyone been drawn to any particular camera strong enough to actually buy it? If so, which one and your reason why it is your choice for your needs?

Will you buy right away or do the "wait and see" routine first?

I still think I am committed to the X-Pro, but after careful consideration, I will wait until they produce the 18-72 4.0 zoom this year. I am a zoom shooter almost exclusively, I have some excellent primes like the 43 Ltd that I almost never touch, so it makes sense to get what I use. F4 is plenty fast enough for me with the great high ISO available and the IS will be in the zoom lenses Fuji produces.

Regards!
I will wait. I have talked myself down from the Fuji twice now. I think we will see Fuji add a OM-D or GH-2 style body to the X-mount family in the near future.

Even with the rumored 33% improvement in DR I don't the the OM-D will have enough of a sensor to make me happy. But I will wait to see the actual tests before I decide. The Olympus AF is really, really nice

I look at it like this:
Fuji has a innovative design and sensor.
Olympus has a great design, but questionable sensor
Pentax has a great sensor, but I don't care for the design, and support technologies like AF still need to be demonstrated.
02-10-2012, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

Yes, interesting it is. But for now there is no one solution. Will there ever be. And would that be a necessity.
I love Pentax for no real good reasons, mainly because it has always been with me. I have a K-5. For now. And who knows what will be. I should very much like a simple ff. But if that cannot be, I don't think I shall ever buy one from nikon or canon. Not because they aren't good, but simply because I need to keep up the "fight" with my nikon brother and "canon" family-in-law. Life has strange tricks. But then again, I could leave all that behind, simply buy pentax d645. It depends, if my youngest deep autistic son can find a way in life, I will. If not, that money too goes into his fund. And I continue selling off the seemingly endless stream of old family stuff. O well. That bought me almost all of my gear upto now.

I look upon it like this. I love Pentax and will always have it. Just because.
Aps-c K-5 is nice, it indeed has more life than m43.
But oly e-p3 brings me a whole other quality of photography joy. It is as if it tells me not to bother or worry so much, take it all a bit less serious. I like that. It is nice and friendly and happy. And easy
That is quality too. And anyway, considering the enourmous amount of dead and gone by family members left behind photographs and what is done to that ... I have no illusions none whatsoever. It almost all simply disappears. But I know they were happy being busy with it. That memory counts.

And I have samsung nx100 and 200 and all of the primes, bought for almost a penny, been lucky. Can't buy a fuji body for what I paid for the lot. Fun quality. Both small (with pancakes even tiny) and large (a bit weird, a nx200 with a nx85). But it works amazingly. I have fun. Take my son with me. Sometimes he likes that and we can even talk a minute. He loves to track ants and other crawlers, which turns us into crawlers. You see a whole different world on your belly in the mud.

Well, you can't have it all. But you sure can have fun with what you have. It is great to see so many new products and oportunities, yes. Got to be creative.
02-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Old setup:
Canon S95 point and shoot
Canon 7D + 500/4L + 35/2.8 Tokina macro
Canon 1DsII + 100-400L, 400/5.6L, 85/1.8, Sigma 15-30, Canon 50/1.4, Zeiss ZE 50/1.4, Canon 24-105L, Samyang 14/2.8, PC-Nikkor 35/2.2
Leica M3 + Summicron DR 50/2
Sinar F1 + 135mm Rodenstock Sironar

New setup:
iPhone 4S "point and shoot"
Canon 7D + 500/4L + 35/2.8 Tokina macro
Canon 1DsII + Samyang 14/2.8, PC-Nikkor 35/2.8, Zeiss ZE 50/1.4, Canon 85/1.8
Olympus E-M5 (pre-ordered), 12-50, 25/1.4
Leica M3 + Summicron DR 50/2
Sinar F1 + 135mm Rodenstock Sironar

Basically paring down my Canon gear to the ones I "can't live without" and adding the m4/3 setup for travel and general purpose stuff.

I'll keep all my fun inexpensive adapted lenses and film gear, of course, since it has little actual value and I do enjoy it.
02-10-2012, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

I plan on three new "cameras" this year

1) Ovotine tin can either 5X7 or whole plate pinhole
2) rectangular biscuit can whole plate size pinhole
3) custom made super wide zone plate or pin hole camera (about 30 mm focal length) to fit my Hasselblad back

My K-r is not even broken in but otherwise we own or can borrow film cameras from Pentax A110 to 8X10 monorail and digital from point and shoot to D3. The only change in this might be if we need a video camera and the K01 fit the bill. Or broken, lose or stolen items. Oh and got the iPod for my birthday and my mother gave me her PC303 last month (surprised she could find it).
02-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #72
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
Well, you can't have it all. But you sure can have fun with what you have.
Absolutely!.......Amen and Amen!
02-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm quite content with my pair of K-5s.
02-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I have a K-7 and a K-5 (both silver). I actually picked up the K-7 (again) after getting the K-5 as I find the colours of the K-5 a bit punchy at times, but the K-5 is still my favourite by far. In fact, I love the K-5 so much that I thought this might do me for a very long time.

I might dabble with a K-01 or the Q if they go down in price enough, but I won't change from the K-5 unless the IQ is much, much better.

Of course, cameras older than 30 years....that's a different story.....
02-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K-x will hopefully survive the summer. I may buy a sub-$100 used canon powershot to play with some CHDK tricks. By November or so, however, I should be about ready to spring for an E-M5 and some pancakes... leaving enough time to get fully comfortable with the camera before inevitably doing some travel in december. Aside from slightly lower DR and high-ISO performance, two things that are easy enough to work around for me, the E-M5 is infinitely better suited to my preferences than my beloved K-x and yes, even the K-5. That and the lens lineup. I can see myself not buying another camera for quite a while. The K-x will be three years old by then, and by now it's got a big crack in the front plate and sometimes acts funny.

I feel fortunate; I'm actually starting to see some income from my photography. Otherwise I wouldn't feel able to justify a new "toy" like the E-M5. I'd just get another used K-x or something.