Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Can you imagine a Beowulf cluster of these?
In Soviet Russia, the Beowulf cluster imagines you.

02-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

You must assume and price into your camera professional support services:
  • Pentax will simultaneously develop a complete line of preofessional-grade accessories such as flashes, grips, connections, etc.
  • Pentax will simultaneously develop an auto-focus system to meet the needs of this professional sector
  • Pentax will simultaneously build a global professional caliber support system (distribution, service, lend/rent)
  • Pentax will simultaneously build a global premiere B&M wholesale sales force; offer reasonable stocking and pricing schedules; make co-op local advertising allowances; run workshops and in-store activities conducted by direct sales reps
  • Pentax will advertise in appropriate professional journals
  • Add whatever else a professional line needs
  • Pentax will continue to support 4 additional lines of Interchangebale Lens cameras
    • compact IL cameras (Q)
    • entry level IL cameras (K-01/ K-r)
    • APSc dSLR (K-5)
    • Self-contained semi-MF (645D)
I want all of that, without full frame.

Please Pentax/Ricoh, do not waste your resources on full frame.
02-14-2012, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I would like to see nothing more than a pro version of the K5 to be honnest.
I understand your desire. And if a D300-level body suffices, Pentax can do it.

However and IMHO this is what one has to consider too, APSC cameras, esp. with a mirror and calibrated phase AF, have started to stretch their mechanical specifications already. 12MP was closer to their sweet spot.

So, it may simply be difficult (or too expensive compared to FF) to make a professional APSC if it has to outperform a K-5 wrt image quality. IMHO, the gap in IQ between APSC (at least with a mirror) and FF will widen.
02-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I understand your desire. And if a D300-level body suffices, Pentax can do it.

However and IMHO this is what one has to consider too, APSC cameras, esp. with a mirror and calibrated phase AF, have started to stretch their mechanical specifications already. 12MP was closer to their sweet spot.

So, it may simply be difficult (or too expensive compared to FF) to make a professional APSC if it has to outperform a K-5 wrt image quality. IMHO, the gap in IQ between APSC (at least with a mirror) and FF will widen.
Yes, but there is nothing wrong with the IQ of the K5 anyway, so no problem there. Sticking the K5 sensor in the D300 mmmmm almost perfect. I have a D300 as well. it simply wipes the floor with the K5 in everything except IQ. Im happy enough with 12 million pixels IQ wise. I bought the K5 purely for the better quality at higher ISO. There are bennafits in all the formats. Four thirds has a lot going for it that is often overlooked and missunderstood by most. FF gives bennafits in other areas but has its weaker points too. I like various asspects of all formats. So I chose the middle ground as it were. APSC gives all the quality and flexability I need.
The new Nikon D4 is to me the ultimate camera.
But.... Its also overkill for me and so therefore waisted.
I wouldnt see any benafit in the prints I make etc.
I came very close to ordering a d700. Same as D300 but full frame. Again, no differance in print quality but superior at higher ISO. Then the new 16 million pixel came into being with better all around everything. I dont need files that big even but not that bad.
Mirrorless for me... mmmm... I dont really look at them since they are a joke lol. They have there place and they are here to stay. If it aint got an OVF it aint a camera !
Its merely a device capable of producing pics. Thats a step too far for me Im afraid lol.

02-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Fist the Nikon D800, now Sony so is Pentax next with the 36mp FF sensor ?
I would never fist a Nikon, let alone fisting a Sony or Pentax.