Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

EVF experiences?

I've never used a camera with an electronic viewfinder - just optical, and of course rear-LCDs.

So just out of curiosity, what are people's experiences with cameras that use EVFs internally, or as external addons (eg NEX 5N, Ricoh GXR's etc)? Are EVF's a pain, or are they usable nowadays for a range of scenes and shooting styles?

And since they are LCD's, have any problems like stuck pixels cropped up? I couldn't imagine anything more annoying than stuck pixels on a electronic viewfinder.

02-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I couldn't imagine anything more annoying than stuck pixels on a electronic viewfinder.
You never got any dust on your mirror/focusing screen?
02-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
You never got any dust on your mirror/focusing screen?
I have indeed. But a blower fixes that pretty easily... The mirror/focussing screen is also not as close to your eye as a EVF flaw would be.
02-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've been using an EVF in my GH2 for the past 12 months or so and love it. I've previously I've used a K20D, K-7 and E-3 extensively, so I've got a fair bit of experience with some of the better APS/43rds optical finders, and I think that once you weight up the pros and cons the GH2 EVF comes out ahead (for me...)

- They're bigger - the GH2 EVF is about the same size as an A900 full-frame optical finder, and much bigger than all APS OVF's.
- WYSIWYG - they're great for setting exposure, white balance and so on, because what you see through the finder is what the sensor can see, which is quite different from an OVF.
- They're great for low-light because they can 'gain' - ie. boost the ISO. This means that the image will be grainy, but unlike an OVF you'll still be able to see.

There are issues though, but from what I've seen of the new E-M5 and NEX7/5N viewfinders, manufacturers are rapidly fixing those issues.

02-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've been using an EVF in my GH2 for the past 12 months or so and love it. I've previously I've used a K20D, K-7 and E-3 extensively, so I've got a fair bit of experience with some of the better APS/43rds optical finders, and I think that once you weight up the pros and cons the GH2 EVF comes out ahead (for me...)

- They're bigger - the GH2 EVF is about the same size as an A900 full-frame optical finder, and much bigger than all APS OVF's.
- WYSIWYG - they're great for setting exposure, white balance and so on, because what you see through the finder is what the sensor can see, which is quite different from an OVF.
- They're great for low-light because they can 'gain' - ie. boost the ISO. This means that the image will be grainy, but unlike an OVF you'll still be able to see.
- They're fantastic for manual lenses because, #1 - WYSIWYG (as above) and #2 - you can magnify the screen for easy and accurate manual focus.

There are issues though, but from what I've seen of the new E-M5 and NEX7/5N viewfinders, manufacturers are rapidly fixing those issues.
02-13-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't know why that posted twice and it won't let me edit either post... Sorry people.
02-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I don't know why that posted twice
That's OK - that was good info.

02-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the same question (lots of strong opinions out there on this subject).

I know that I was not impressed with the EFV on a $500 point and shoot a few years ago (that was what motivated me to get a DSLR). However I have heard good things about some of the EVFs in some of the newer cameras, and am thinking about purchasing a camera with one in the next year or two.

What I am most concerned with is refresh rate. Can I track a fast moving subject with one of the newer EFVs.
02-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new EVF from Panasonic apparently is designed to reduce some sort of rainbow effect if you move your eyes too quickly while using it. Something about the pitch of the pixels being changed. Is that one of the issues nickthetasmania?
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got the Olympus VF2 EV for my micro 4/3 camera and it also works on my Olympus XZ-1 point n shoot. It works great and I'd recommend it to anyone who owns Olympus M4/3 XZ-1. Yes its pricey but well worth the $s. For those times when bright sunlight makes the lcd difficult to see it is invaluable. The other plus is you immediately see the effects of all your adjustments for wb, ev, art filters, magnifying the image size, etc.
02-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My first use was with a Canon i forget the model then subsquent models thereafter the last being a Canon S30ix, currently have the LX5 with it's EVF and the Fujifilm X100's hybrid EVF, it's never bother me regarding colour accuracy yada yada, i only look at composition and view accuracy 90-100%
Looking into one doesn't bother me, i see what i'm shooting and i press the button.
02-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MF on the Panasonic GH2 EVF

Truth told, the first time I looked through it I thought, "looks like video". But I've gotten used to it, and am willing to put up with some of its shortcomings (low light, color accuracy, video feeling) for its many benefits (WYSIWYG, constant DOF preview, exposure preview, instant shot review, variable AF points, MF-assist, etc....)
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
and am willing to put up with some of its shortcomings
Aha. I guess that's the main point of an EVF I should take from the comments here: in practical terms, don't expect superb optical fidelity, but it can still be useful, and doesn't get in the way too much.

And since no one has mentioned dead pixels or anything showing up in their EVF's, I guess that may not be a common issue.