Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Banned

Fujifilm X10 firmware: Appears not to fix 'white orbs'

QuoteQuote:
We've been taking a look at Fujifilm's recently released firmware update for the X10, which was designed to reduce the much-discussed 'white orbs' blooming effect. Our initial conclusions are troubling enough for us to pre-empt our forthcoming coverage of the issue with a quick update on our findings so far.

The 'white orbs', or 'white discs' issue refers to the X10's tendency to render clipped point highlights as sharp-edged white 'blobs'. Sadly, all the indications from our studio and real-world shooting so far are that the update appears to have very little effect on the appearance or intensity of these artefacts.

We're still working through the necessary studio and 'real world' shooting for an in-depth look at the differences between the old and new firmware, and we'll post comparison images as soon as possible. Until then, our friend Jeff Keller at Digital Camera Reviews and News | Digital Camera Resource Page has posted a quick before/after firmware update comparison.
Fujifilm X10 firmware: Appears not to fix 'white orbs' : Digital Photography Review

The Fujifilm X10 and the White Discs of Doom | Digital Camera Resource Page News

02-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This must be very satisfying to "Orb Shooters", they no longer have to worry about losing their sacred Orbs to a Firmware upgrade. I ran across one last week at a local Pub, the poor guy was drinking himself to death and finally just blurted out "Life without Orbs won't be worth living!" We tried to console him, but he was inconsolable......lost at the thought of taking gorgeous landscapes and portraits, fun shots and street shooting, but having to go without his favorite subject....Orbs. I'm not sure he is still with us, but I pray he lived long enough to get the Good News that Orbs survived the Firmware Update! Isn't life wonderful!

Meanwhile, this is what I shoot, a lot of Misc junk, and some more serious work, but Orbs seem to deny me the same thrills so many enjoy. I have tried to get my own Orbs, and have even daydreamed of my own Orb Gallery downtown, but they apparently don't like my style?
Fuji -x10 - a set on Flickr

I did get excited once with this shot...but on further testing, I found the Orbs were no better than those obtained with my K5, K20D, or K10D...even my little DS could do this well. I guess I was just meant to go through life suffering great cameras..... my K5 still performs flawlessly after almost a year of shooting. I have even let Otis use it a time or two to see if he could make it fail.......no luck whatsoever.
I think I'll take a shot of whiskey and lay down now...I know how that guy at the Pub felt.....like life has given him an apple instead of a lemon.

I thought I had it.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Thanks for the Heads Up on the failure...or success...depending on how you see it. Many Orb shooters will be celebrating this announcement......I'll just have to learn to be happy without all those Orbs they cherish.
Best Regards!
02-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Your second link has images which show the problem - how odd. really looks like some kind of lens flare phenomena. Sure hope they can fix the problem, Fuji's doing a lot of innovative things.
02-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have not been able to get these white orbs either. I can see the so-called white orbs have sharp circular edges. In two weeks time, I will be in Beijing and Taipei; I will try to shoot many night scenes to see if I can get those white orbs.

02-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I have not been able to get these white orbs either. I can see the so-called white orbs have sharp circular edges. In two weeks time, I will be in Beijing and Taipei; I will try to shoot many night scenes to see if I can get those white orbs.
Good luck Violini...you may end up a failed Orb shooter like me. Some of us just can't seem to get a lemon even when they are falling off the trees by the bushel.
Regards!
02-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I remember that some one mentioned here that the white orb will appear only under certain processing settings. The problem maybe also due to improper focusing under low light. I saw photos shot with Canon 7D also have white orbs. I for one hate bokeh. Those of you who love it should consider white orbs: special beautiful bokeh.

Last edited by violini; 02-19-2012 at 10:22 AM.
02-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
DPR Fuji Forum : Why I returned the Fuji X10

QuoteQuote:
I've bought an X10 after reading some favourable opinions in this forum and elsewhere. I really, really wanted to keep it as I liked the size, handling and great image quality. Although I heard about the "white discs" issue with bright light sources figuring that it would not matter for my photographs (travel & family).

However, after a couple of weeks I found that this issue is not confined to lamp posts and night photography -- it can and did occurs anytime there are specular highlights in a scene.

The tipping point was seeing white discs in the casual street shot done last week in Évora (that's in the south of sunny Portugal):
Why I returned the Fuji X10: Fujifilm Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

02-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ewww. No amount of PP could fix that stuff up.
02-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Both of those are overexposed and out of focus....it is Fuji's way of telling you to hit the delete button and try again!

Regards!
02-19-2012, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Fujifilm should hire me, i found out what's causing this issue as seen in this photo...

02-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Fujifilm should hire me, i found out what's causing this issue as seen in this photo...
02-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Both of those are overexposed and out of focus....it is Fuji's way of telling you to hit the delete button and try again!

Regards!
I don't think so.
02-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Just proves my complaint.......I can't get a lemon even when they are falling off the lemon tree in buckets.......I feel so dejected. You would think I could get at least one little Orb here?
[IMG] [/IMG]

I think there was an Orb here hiding in the Red Light on the right...but he just wouldn't come out for me! Shy?
[IMG] [/IMG]

I was so happy...I thought I had a couple here, but only ended up with two Hot Dogs....and they were delicious!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Maybe you can share your secret with me, and I will not feel so left out?

Regards!
02-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Rupert- I'm still trying to get those other orbs without much luck...............................
02-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Go out into direct sunlit scenes where there are highly reflective surfaces or shoot directly at a light source (don't burn your eyes out), they're called, specular highlights, the shape of the lens blades should be producing those orbs ...then again i only shoot on auto so what do i know, i just remembered someone talking about this at a lecture when i was still shooting on auto but with film..lol