Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
So... umm... after I get the Canon G1X will I encourage you some more? LOL (Thats a long way off, I'm kidding)

You're doing some great work with it, so is Roxndox.

I love mine, but I also get carried away and need to get back to basics with the GRD3, and to do more with the K-5 which is languishing a bit. Had it out last week a couple of times but its been stored in an alternative bag again and ...
G1X doesn't really interest me. The new Olympus is interesting, but i'm holding with my current line-up for another year. This year seems to be pivotal for future cameras and i'm willing to wait until the dust settles. I'm down to 2 lenses for the K5, 12-24mm and f*300mm. all the mid range is done with the XZ and the EPL2.

02-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
G1X doesn't really interest me. The new Olympus is interesting, but i'm holding with my current line-up for another year. This year seems to be pivotal for future cameras and i'm willing to wait until the dust settles. I'm down to 2 lenses for the K5, 12-24mm and f*300mm. all the mid range is done with the XZ and the EPL2.
Ahhh I forgot you had the EPL2. I've been toying with the idea of going MFT and dropping the K-5 and all its lenses. But then, I hesitate, because its such a nice camera.
02-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

A couple from florida

03-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

And a crow crabbing....... A Crow goes clamming | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

03-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Last edited by ivoire; 03-12-2012 at 06:48 PM.
03-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

More XZ-1 pics

03-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

You really are lovin' it arent you I just haven't had a chance to get out lately (and when I did it was only to pick up a new iPad). Weather is beginning to cool again, better for me, I'll be out and about soon enough. In the meantime, some from the archives...

Don't think there's any repeats there...

03-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

kyteflyer... good to hear you are feeling better and will be out n about soon. Thanks again for pointing me to the XZ. I've been using it quite a bit and its a great companion when i have the f^300 on the K5. Decided to keep the K5 after using it again here in Florida. The sensor in it is just too good to give up.

Your pics once again show that the XZ is excellent. Great pics and the cat photo shows off the XZ lens
03-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
kyteflyer... good to hear you are feeling better and will be out n about soon. Thanks again for pointing me to the XZ. I've been using it quite a bit and its a great companion when i have the f^300 on the K5. Decided to keep the K5 after using it again here in Florida. The sensor in it is just too good to give up.

Your pics once again show that the XZ is excellent. Great pics and the cat photo shows off the XZ lens
Thanks for that. Wouldnt go so far as to say "better" but perhaps a bit more motivated. I think the actual getting out helps one's mental state and then by extension one's general health. I went out this morning. Just wanted to get out of the house, been a lot stir crazy, so I took the XZ and X100 with me, just in case. Ended up at the beach. Posts later

Re K-5, unless I can find something of equal or better quality, you'll have to prise it from my cold dead hands
03-21-2012, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks for that. Wouldnt go so far as to say "better" but perhaps a bit more motivated. I think the actual getting out helps one's mental state and then by extension one's general health.
Have to agree with the "just get out" attitude, keep it up. My main 'home' is not the prettiest area and it is generally cool to cold for 6-7 months out of the year. I have a tendency to hibernate in that type of weather. Once I get out, the motivation to do more and just put up with discomfort kicks in. When I get really tired of it I go where its warmer for several months. Heres a couple more XZ pics

Last edited by ivoire; 03-21-2012 at 03:11 PM.
04-09-2012, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Time for a few new pictures. These are from my *replacement* XZ-1, numero uno died a tragic death when the housing flooded on my last dive before going to Hawaii (long story, my fault, painful lessons learned)... So, anyway, new camera worked just fine in the old housing, and I got to dive and see some really cool stuff in the warm waters off Kaua'i. The underwater shots were taken with just the onboard flash and the plastic diffuser supplied with the dive housing, I have to say it worked pretty darned well!

Jim

View from our hotel balcony overlooking Nawiliwili Bay

My first Sea Turtle, up close and curious... Said his name is Crush

This guy is a Dragon Moray eel, our divemaster said they're rare enough to be worth $2000 to aquarium collectors... We just thought he was damn cool!

Another species of Moray, a Dwarf Moray - small and secretive and rarely seen by daytime divers. All I saw was a bit of his nose...

A very well camouflaged ambush predator, the frogfish. Can you tell where his eye is?

And yes, I took shots above the water too! This was walking the beach up on hte North Shore at th3e edge of the Na Pali coast. Beautiful place...
04-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Didn't get much when I went out the other day so here's a couple from the archives.

04-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Jim... Bad news on the loss, but great news on th replacement and pics. Looks like you are having a great time! and enjoying the warm water diving.

Kyteflyer.... good that you are out and about. Love those clouds!

I'm still shooting with the XZ on a regular basis. It's so convenient to carry anywhere.

04-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Its very convenient, and the bit of zoom makes it worth the effort. I'm still finding myself wanting to dump my small sensor cameras, though, and get that G1X. I have the K-5 for macro if I really want to be doing that, and a 20cm min distance would do for relative closeups. Just as well I have no money, and I do have an XZ-1 (and the rest)

Nice shots, Michael
04-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm still finding myself wanting to dump my small sensor cameras, though, and get that G1X. I have the K-5 for macro if I really want to be doing that, and a 20cm min distance would do for relative closeups. Nice shots, Michael
I used to skip over the small sensor cameras in favor of dslr. I thought i would be making large prints and needed max sensor size. Now i find that 99% of my images are on the net so i went for PnS cameras and a m43. I'm finding the PnS systems to be the most used. The K5 comes out for wildlife, some street and paid shoots only. I am waiting for the next wave of mirrorless systems before spending any more $s (the initial Oly OMD reports are showing surprising results). I have to admit that the GRD4 keeps grabbing my attention but then i start thinking, why not sell them all and get something like the G1X and have a bunch of cash for traveling.

Last edited by ivoire; 04-14-2012 at 02:55 PM.