Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
41 Megapixel Nokia 808 smartphone camera

Nokia has released the Nokia 808 PureView smart phone. I wonder DP Review hasn't the info yet on their home page

It features a 1/1.2” sensor with 7728 x 5368 pixels of 1.4 microns size (I compute a 35mm crop factor of 3.3). The sensor is bigger than anything below the Nikon CX format, almost as large as the latter.

The Zeiss 8.02mm f/2.4 optics is sharp enough (per claim) to allow for pure 3x digital zoom w/o losses, assuming a 5MP target resolution, the camera's default.

- Nokia 808 PureView
- Whitepaper (PDF)
- Golem (German)

This approach may turn out to become a game changer. As it renders obsolete the cheaper, variable aperture variant of zoom designs. I was wondering about the reason of existance for the latter for some time now already ...

Moreover, it may turn out to be better in terms of image quality than any dedicated enthusiast compact camera. We may just watch the end of the P&S camera segment as we know it (i.e., it is shifted into the very cheapo segment below smart phones).

Last edited by falconeye; 02-27-2012 at 07:04 AM.
02-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Yay, finally something different, Nokia sure didn't hold back with this one!
Unfortunately it has to be on Symbian apparently which means only a few photos apps will be available.
Wonder if it will be able to support RAW (not likely after reading the white paper)
Going to hangout and see how this is reviewed.
02-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

When i saw that, i laughed. I started searching for samples, then i found them :
http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/uploads/mediaplugin/photo/climbing-in-sout...8-pureview.jpg
http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/uploads/mediaplugin/photo/streetview-in-ri...8-pureview.jpg
PS : Full resolution
Is it me, or the quality is amazing, considering the size?
02-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Moreover, it may turn out to be better in terms of image quality than any dedicated enthusiast compact camera. We may just watch the end of the P&S camera segment as we know it (i.e., it is shifted into the very cheapo segment below smart phones).
Well, even if it provides really good pictures @3x zoom, it won't really replace the newer compacts with >10x optical zoom!

02-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's not digital zoom, it's kind of the opposite of digital zoom -- when you're fully "zoomed out", you're using the full 41 MP of resolution, which is then downsampled to (for instance) 5MP. As you zoom further in, eventually you end up with just 5 megapixels, straight up, without downsampling. At this point, it follows that the quality will be significantly worse on a pixel level. So in that sense, their claim of "lossless zoom" is a marketing lie.
02-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not kidding, i'm REALLY impressed by the image quality. Downsampling the 41 mp sample to a 15 mp equivalent leads to an amazing image quality!
02-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
It's not digital zoom, it's kind of the opposite of digital zoom -- when you're fully "zoomed out", you're using the full 41 MP of resolution, which is then downsampled to (for instance) 5MP. As you zoom further in, eventually you end up with just 5 megapixels, straight up, without downsampling. At this point, it follows that the quality will be significantly worse on a pixel level. So in that sense, their claim of "lossless zoom" is a marketing lie.
It's a bit soft when viewed at 100%, but the colors are still really good for a camera phone, IMHO. I'm impressed!

02-27-2012, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

more sample images

click here for (7152 x 5368) full size image

click here for (5368 x 7152) full size image

click here for (7728 x 4354) full size image
02-27-2012, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It's a bit soft when viewed at 100%, but the colors are still really good for a camera phone, IMHO. I'm impressed!
It sure is good. Really, really good for a camera phone, easily the best on the market... But these are ideal conditions and ISO ~50 -- let's see it zoomed in to 5MP at ISO 400+ in a dark indoor setting, and I think it will become abundantly clear that not even the best technology can escape the laws of physics
02-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So in that sense, their claim of "lossless zoom" is a marketing lie.
No. They put everything onto the table.

They acknowledge that a 3.3x crop f/2.8 (which is a 35mm f/9.2 equivalent!) is only fast enough for a typical resolution of 5MP (in terms of ISO capabilities).

This is a fair and honest statement. Of course, in full daylight, you have the full resolution as a bonus (although the pixel rendition is not the same as e.g., a 645D would deliver).

So, what you do indeed get is a 26-78mm (35mm equivalent) f/2.8-8.4 (unscaled) variable zoom.

Ok, true variable zooms don't loose this much light at the long end. But the idea is still compelling, considering that smart phone haven't had enough space to accomodate an optical zoom lens.
02-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
first pic
How the what-now can they get this kind of shallow depth of field with an 8 mm lens?

Well, I guess they steal amazing technology from the future seeing as they obviously have a time machine

02-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Erik, it's easy to get shallow depth of field when focusing that close.
Also, the phone probably isn't set up yet, so its showing a wrong date. Or perhaps its also a time machine, could happen
Anyway, i'm amazed by the image quality. Waiting for ISO 400+ crops
02-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How the what-now can they get this kind of shallow depth of field with an 8 mm lens?

Well, I guess they steal amazing technology from the future seeing as they obviously have a time machine
Coooool....
02-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
No. They put everything onto the table.

They acknowledge that a 3.3x crop f/2.8 (which is a 35mm f/9.2 equivalent!) is only fast enough for a typical resolution of 5MP (in terms of ISO capabilities).

This is a fair and honest statement. Of course, in full daylight, you have the full resolution as a bonus (although the pixel rendition is not the same as e.g., a 645D would deliver).

So, what you do indeed get is a 26-78mm (35mm equivalent) f/2.8-8.4 (unscaled) variable zoom.

Ok, true variable zooms don't loose this much light at the long end. But the idea is still compelling, considering that smart phone haven't had enough space to accomodate an optical zoom lens.
Wait, what? The aperture and focal length never change. The "zoom" they're talking about is literally just cropping from the sensor and then scaling down. If it's f/2.4, it's f/2.4 throughout the entire "zoom range", though it is literally meaningless to use that term as the focal length never changes. It's always 8 mm, it's always f/2.4, it just has a chip that is able to make variable crops from the sensor. You're "zooming" from 41MP to 5MP.

So no, it IS a marketing lie. They're claiming "lossless zoom" which is simply not true. The pixel level quality decreases as you zoom in. It's only "lossless" in the sense that it's always at least as good as a 5MP sensor with the same pixel pitch. It's "lossless" compared to that, but that is not what a consumer thinks he's going to get when he buys something advertised as 41MP with "lossless zoom".
02-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Please do not pixel cropping as 99 % of this photo will be sent by email , view online or use in social site. These user will not try to compare to a DSLR
For me this is the proof that the P&S dead is coming faster that you think . I mention that last year and I still believing it