Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #136
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am in need of a new phone and it is something I have on me more than my camera, and I am always snapping something with it. I was actually thinking of buying a Nokia N8, as it was one of the best camera phones, but with the announcement of this one, I am definitely getting in line for it. Symbian operating system or not, I do most of my real stuff on my laptop, desktop, or tablet anyway so who the heck cares if the OS in a phone is the best around. It's too small a device to do anything serious anyway.

02-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was going to buy a new smartphone soon and was almost totally convinced to go Android (iPhone is better toy, but sucks as a phone). But this made me think of giving a chance to Symbian. I'll probably buy a used N8 to try the Belle system and I'll see if I can live with it. And then I'll perhaps upgrade to the 808.
02-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #138
Banned

The Nokia 808 OS and single core CPU sucks for a smartphone so I wish Nokia would just come out with a feature phone with the camera so you would not have to pay for a data plan.
02-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #139
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've used the N95 by Nokia and had no problems with its OS. I mean, what to you really do on your phone that can't be done on a Symbian phone? A phone is way too small for any lengthy use, so I always wonder what the big deal is. Any phone can get email, surf the web, text, and take pictures. I hate reading emails on my phone and rarely do because it's too small and takes to long to respond to someone in that way.

What else does one need their phone to do and do so well that the OS has to matter?

02-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Symbian phones are not considered cool by many, because the system doesn't need dual core CPU to run fast and smooth. And it takes 2-3x more time to drain the battery on a Symbian Nokia, who would want that?
02-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Symbian phones are not considered cool by many, because the system doesn't need dual core CPU to run fast and smooth. And it takes 2-3x more time to drain the battery on a Symbian Nokia, who would want that?
Well, if that's the case then forget it. I mean a nice camera is one thing but lack of coolness - forgetaboutit!
02-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #142
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I've used the N95 by Nokia and had no problems with its OS. I mean, what to you really do on your phone that can't be done on a Symbian phone? A phone is way too small for any lengthy use, so I always wonder what the big deal is. Any phone can get email, surf the web, text, and take pictures. I hate reading emails on my phone and rarely do because it's too small and takes to long to respond to someone in that way.

What else does one need their phone to do and do so well that the OS has to matter?
I just want a feature phone with no data plan from Verizon with the 41mp camera. I have a Microsoft KinTwom feature phone from Verizon with 8mp /720p still/HD video camera with Wi-Fi internet and no data plan that has the contract expiring in October. It looks like you have to get a smartphone with data plan now at Verizon if you want 8mp/720p still /HD video now since the Kin Twom is discontinued.

02-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I wish Nokia would just come out with a feature phone with the camera so you would not have to pay for a data plan.
What data plan?
All phones (the iPhone included) sell w/o a data plan. At least in Europe. Just use your iPhone's SIM -- will work with mine (I got 3 SIM cards with my T-Mobile iPhone and they work in all devices I tried).
02-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #144
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
What data plan?
All phones (the iPhone included) sell w/o a data plan. At least in Europe. Just use your iPhone's SIM -- will work with mine (I got 3 SIM cards with my T-Mobile iPhone and they work in all devices I tried).
Here is the US the 16gb iPhone 4s is $199.99 at Verizon when you sign up for 2 year contract ($649.99 without contract ) and a data plan that cost at least $30 a month for 2GB of data plus your monthly phone bill.
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Here is the US the 16gb iPhone 4s is $199.99 at Verizon when you sign up for 2 year contract ($649.99 without contract ) and a data plan that cost at least $30 a month for 2GB of data plus your monthly phone bill.
Can you please delete your image? It is too wide and contains no additional info. Thanks.

And as you say, you could buy the iPhone 4S as a camera for $650. A camera needs no data plan.
IMHO, the same will hold true for the Nokia 808 (450€).
02-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #146
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Can you please delete your image? It is too wide and contains no additional info. Thanks.

And as you say, you could buy the iPhone 4S as a camera for $650. A camera needs no data plan.
IMHO, the same will hold true for the Nokia 808 (450€).
Are you new here ? The image is the same size as all the other 1024 pixel wide images on this forum. Here in the US 99% of the people get the iPhone with a contract.
02-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Funny But doesn't quite match my experience - my latest Symbian two Symbian phones (before switching to iPhone) had a basically useless battery after only one year of use, had to be charged twice a day or so...
03-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #148
Veteran Member

New video up on Engadget:

- Sensor was co-developed by Nokia (with who?!)
- Nokia claims the optics are up to 10X more precise than a "typical SLR lens"

Link: Visualized: Nokia's 41-megapixel PureView sensor (updated with video) -- Engadget

The guy is a bit angry and animated! I guess he's been reading part of this thread!
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #149
Inactive Account

I'm JUST about to pull the trigger on a new iPhone 4S so this has pretty much came out worst time possible!

Still getting the iPhone as I need the iPhone to iPhone messaging as I travel alot overseas and wife has an iPhone 4.

So maybe in 2 years this technology MAY make it to some other brands.
03-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
iPhone to iPhone messaging
(Unforgivable diversion, sorry, but... Email?)