Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Well over 10,000 5D Mark III preorders at B&H

Wow, theres well over 10,000 Canon 5D Mark III preorders at B&H alone:

5D Mark 3 Queue @ B&H

03-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think there have reportedly been about the same level of pre-orders for the Nikon D800 too at B&H.

Lots of 2nd hand FF on the horizon.
03-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I hope this is only a tip of the Iceberg. It's sad when one retailer monopolises the market
03-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Canon tops Nikon, then Nikon tops Canon.

Great times for photograhers and consumers.

On forums there far is more whinning concerning 5D III launch price than Nikon owners complaining about 36mp.

Bottom line, tens of thousands of people will own Canikon 2012 vintage full frame dslrs by Christmas 2012. And then used market will fill with tens of thousands of older model Canikon full frame dslrs.

03-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have an order in for the D800 but am really thinking about canceling it. I'm already getting an X Pro and I doubt I would use the D800 much. The camera is too big, files too big. Eventually I'll probably go with the D800, but I rarely use my D700 now.
03-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm torn between 2nd D700 or 2nd 5D Mark II

I've yet to buy any Canikon at full launch prices.

What can I say, I love bargains.

D700 remains the best camera I've owned.

5D III or D800 will be on my discounted shopping gear radar list for Christmas 2013.
I'd like to see both at around $2,500 new before I get serious about adding either or both to my Pentax kit.

I like the Canikon full frame 4 year product cycles and recurring holiday specials that are always the lowest price for the entire year. Easy to map out and plan.
Point of sale instant rebates are always win, well according to my wallet.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I have an order in for the D800 but am really thinking about canceling it. I'm already getting an X Pro and I doubt I would use the D800 much. The camera is too big, files too big. Eventually I'll probably go with the D800, but I rarely use my D700 now.
03-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If I had to guess the Canon will come down but the Nikon will stay about the same at least through 2013. Both cameras are worth $3000. I may just wait on the D800 until next year. The X Pro is the camera I really want.

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I've yet to buy any Canikon at full launch prices.

What can I say, I love bargains.

D700 remains the best camera I've owned.

5D III or D800 will be on my discounted shopping gear radar list for Christmas 2013.
I'd like to see both at around $2,500 new before I get serious about adding either or both to my Pentax kit.

I like the Canikon full frame 4 year product cycles and recurring holiday specials that are always the lowest price for the entire year. Easy to map out and plan.
Point of sale instant rebates are always win, well according to my wallet.

03-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
The X Pro is the camera I really want.
But it's not full-frame!! I'm shocked.
03-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But it's not full-frame!! I'm shocked.
Well...er...yeah...er..... I must need some kind of psychiatric help right?

And of course, I will actually use the X Pro.
03-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That's quite a few cameras ... considering how often posters on this forum announce the whole FF business insignificant.
03-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
considering how often posters on this forum announce the whole FF business insignificant.
These companies are 10 times the size of Pentax and have an established FF base... Could Pentax pull even 1000 pre-orders? What's the point at which an FF camera starts making you money and stops costing you money because you're not getting a return on your investment? YOu have to set up the cost of a new production line (not to mention R&D upfront. I'm willing to bet that while Canon and Nikon are pretty much assured the tooling for those new production runs are going to be paid for, Pentax isn't in the same position. Sometimes the question is not about the FF camera, but, would you be willing to see Pentax go right down the tube, because they gambled on an FF and lost? Of the 30,000 Pentax users on this forum, how many answered that they'd pre-order a $3500 FF camera if released? I'm willing to bet it wasn't more than a few hundred. That's insignificant.

I don't know about "posters" that's just something you made up, "posters" have said all kinds of crazy things...I never said the FF market was insignificant, I for one said the difference in IQ was insignificant.. and I'm still saying that.

Last edited by normhead; 03-11-2012 at 07:52 AM.
03-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
..I never said the FF market was insignificant, I for one said the difference in IQ was insignificant.. and I'm still saying that.
I pretty much agree with Norm on this. I recall reading an article from Ken "Rockhead" a couple of years back where he amply demonstrated this with Nikon cameras. It is even more valid now with the superior sensors we see in the K5 and such. Take a look at what Fuji has done with their X-Pro sensor and view the available samples......you'd be hard pressed to say they aren't FF equivalent in most every respect.....and you don't need a forklift to carry it around!
The argument will go on and on......I'm happy without FF and so are many others. If a person needs, or thinks they need FF, just get one! How hard could it be to hit "Buy Now"?

Regards!
03-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have to go with Norm and Rupert. I just don't believe there is a big enough demand in the current user base for a $2500+ camera. That's what it's going to cost no matter how you spin it. Sure you can get a 4 year old D700 or 5D for less, but they have already amortized the development costs on those. Pentax does not have the lenses to lure FF users from other systems. Now if they do something different then maybe yes. I think something simple like a FF K1000 without all the electronic bells and whistles might be an interesting idea. That they could do for less than $2500. Maybe strip down the auto focus system, ect. I'll be really surprised if they do a FF camera this year unless it's something out of left field.
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd disagree especially "would you be willing to see Pentax go right down the tube, because they gambled on an FF and lost?". In my opinion its the other way around, pentax is gambling on not having ff and *IS* losing. I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax loses its third place to Fuji or Sony sometime soon. Pentax is gambling on mirrorless: the Q which flopped and we'll see how the k-01 will do, right now the Olympus OM-D E-M5 could do better than the k-01.
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If Pentax would let me, I'd put money down NOW on a FF. Heck, I would pay full price now. I would gladly give them $2500-5000 right now.