Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
X-Pro...Not everyone is impressed......

I keep looking for all I can find on the X-Pro....samples, reviews, anything of value. Apparently not everyone is impressed. It's pretty early, there aren't that many out in the field yet, but most of what I read says the AF is poor and the MF is worse, much worse. Pretty hard to use any camera without either good AF or MF?

I've been planning on the X-Pro, since I love my little X10 and the great Fuji colors, but this is a lot of cash for a camera some are saying is not as good as the X100...just a camera with interchangeable lenses......that also aren't cheap.

For most portrait work, which is what I would mostly use the X-Pro for, I like MF. If it is indeed that hard to use, maybe some new Ltd lenses for my K5 would make better sense? Never had any MF or AF issues with the K5 when doing portraits, and with fast lenses, zero issues.

What do you think? Is this guy for real or just huffing and puffing?
Fuji X-Pro 1 first look | EOSHD.com

Regards!

03-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This guy made me an X 100 user and even though i set aside my funds for the 5DM3, i think i'll extend my budget to include the X Pro 1 system

Blog • Photography By Zack Arias ? ATL ? 404-939-2263 ? studio@zackarias.com

even Kai from DigitalRev likes the pro-1
03-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Kai wasn't impressed with the AF and the MF either.
03-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is hard when a 2000-ish dollar camera isn't the best in all categories. The biggest thing this camera has going for it is its styling and for some that may overcome any other flaws. Still, I don't think Fuji really expects this to be more than an expensive niche camera -- a poor man's leica.

03-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I keep looking for all I can find on the X-Pro....samples, reviews, anything of value. Apparently not everyone is impressed. It's pretty early, there aren't that many out in the field yet, but most of what I read says the AF is poor and the MF is worse, much worse. Pretty hard to use any camera without either good AF or MF?

I've been planning on the X-Pro, since I love my little X10 and the great Fuji colors, but this is a lot of cash for a camera some are saying is not as good as the X100...just a camera with interchangeable lenses......that also aren't cheap.

For most portrait work, which is what I would mostly use the X-Pro for, I like MF. If it is indeed that hard to use, maybe some new Ltd lenses for my K5 would make better sense? Never had any MF or AF issues with the K5 when doing portraits, and with fast lenses, zero issues.

What do you think? Is this guy for real or just huffing and puffing?
Fuji X-Pro 1 first look | EOSHD.com

Regards!
this has to be the best line i've read this year lmao

QuoteQuote:
The AF lens motor grinds and squeals like a squirrel caught in the wheels of a Land Rover.
03-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could get the Nex 5N for portraiture and buy some of those cheap Contax Zeiss lenses for it off eBay, but I think you have it right just buy a fun new Pentax lens and wait a bit. This is an exciting time for cameras, but in two years these mirrorless cameras' AF systems will really improve. At some point I expect they'll be as good as or better than PDAF. I am skipping the K-01 for it's AF issues, maybe I'll buy the K-02.

Last edited by kenafein; 03-15-2012 at 09:26 AM.
03-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
You could get the Nex 5N for portraiture and buy some of those cheap Contax Zeiss lenses for it off eBay, but I think you have it right just buy a fun new Pentax lens and wait a bit. This is an exciting time for cameras, but in two years these mirrorless cameras' AF systems will really improve. At some point I expect they'll be as good as or better than PDAF. I am skipping the K-01 for it's AF issues, maybe I'll buy the K-02.
I'm moving toward the conclusion that the K-01 will be perfect for my special need - manual foucs lenses with outstanding image quality. My question now is how to meter with K lenses (how to execute DOF Preview metering rather than Green Button metering).

AF is fine under many circumstances and with many lenses. I don't often take a picture in my living room at 9pm with one 60 Watt bulb on.

03-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OUCH! So you cannot take pictures of anything that moves with the X Pro 1... that is a pretty serious shortcoming and handicap for $1700 camera. Fast accurate continuous AF at 10 frames per second sustained for 34 full resolution RAW + jpeg shots is what drew me into the V-1.
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
OUCH! So you cannot take pictures of anything that moves with the X Pro 1... that is a pretty serious shortcoming and handicap for $1700 camera. Fast accurate continuous AF at 10 frames per second sustained for 34 full resolution RAW + jpeg shots is what drew me into the V-1.
I know most people don't like Digital Rev videos here, but when they aren't bashing Pentax, they do a fair assessment of most other cameras, especially the ones they like (like the X Pro 1).

At the very least, watch it to see their comments on the AF and the manual focusing of the lenses.

03-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I know most people don't like Digital Rev videos here, but when they aren't bashing Pentax, they do a fair assessment of most other cameras, especially the ones they like (like the X Pro 1).

At the very least, watch it to see their comments on the AF and the manual focusing of the lenses.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Hands-on Review - YouTube
Good video...sort of.....I'm not sure that with lenses and flash a $4K investment you "have to learn to live with" is a good advertisement? Being used to Pentax, "learning to live with things" is quite ordinary, I'm well schooled in it. However, my K5 has pretty much broken that trend, it is more like it has had to live with me.

Maybe the only way to know is to try the X-Pro? The images do look terrific, no problem there.

Regards!
03-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you want to try an X-Pro and compare it to the K-01? It could be arranged
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I watched a very simlar video on you tube. He seemed quite happy enough with the autofocus and tracked a passing car. The focus seems accurate but its hardly a camera
you would buy for shooting sports anyways.
03-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, by all means! Send them both and I'll get back with you.......someday!
Regards!
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe the only way to know is to try the X-Pro?
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That sounds like a great idea. Go for it, Jim! (6 squirrel limit, though.)
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I watched a very simlar video on you tube. He seemed quite happy enough with the autofocus and tracked a passing car. The focus seems accurate but its hardly a camera
you would buy for shooting sports anyways.
The AF is not so important to me...but if the MF is some sort of strange focus system, that is a problem? I don't like "quirky" focusing. No focus confirmation either? That's seriously bad because I depend on it quite often with my K5. It isn't always perfect, but pretty close.
Regards!