Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Olympus OM-D E-M5 test samples...

...are available over on dpreview. Pretty amazing, actually. Compare to K-5 for example.

EDIT: Wow, an ad link just got inserted automatically when I wrote the name of a Pentax camera. That makes me look like a shill. NOT IMPRESSED.

EDIT EDIT: But editing the post made it go away.

03-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

yeah I have seen them, there are plenty of misinformed people on Dpreview that are already saying that the OM-D beats the 645D - perhaps at a 6"X4" print size with Olympus over-cooked jpeg files.

The smaller format will always be bested by a larger one especially when image quality is concerned, that has been proven time and time again.

PS. after taking a close look at the raw comparisons at base ISO it is clear to me that Olympus are doing some behind-the-scenes noise filtering on raw files, which isn't anything new canon has been doing this for years. But it becomes rather obvious even at ISO 400 - one stop above base ISO. The darker tones in the colour swatches shows this better than anything else. Though Dpreview are using Beta code raw converters do decode the raw files which is IMO a bit of a misstep.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.
03-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I think Olympus is doing some JPEG trickery to push that sensor. I'm cool with it, though, the OM-D is looking pretty appealing to me as a second camera as total package. If I buy it, I don't need it to beat the K-5 sensor.
03-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm very impressed. While an APS-C sensor of same technology and age will always be better than a 4/3 and a similar FF will always wipe the floor with both of them, the technology has matured so much that for my photography such a 4/3 camera would be quite enough. And a bit more compact than APS-C gear.

03-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
yeah I have seen them, there are plenty of misinformed people on Dpreview that are already saying that the OM-D beats the 645D - perhaps at a 6"X4" print size with Olympus over-cooked jpeg files.

Some people will say anything.

I am personally impressed by the files from the E-M5. They are an improvement and every bit as good as one could expect from such a sensor. But a lot of other things are more important to me than ultimate image quality. If this were not the case I'd be shooting my 645.

The RAW files actually seem more detailed than those from the K-5. Though in other aspects they were inferior. The fact they can compete at all bodes well for the camera.

The ergonomics (two dials), weather-sealing, built-in EVF, improved IBIS and so on -- plus the IQ -- add up to a great camera for the form factor.
03-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
comparing jpg with jpg is not realistic.
I love the E-M5 but I still don't think it will beat the apsc for now.
03-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
comparing jpg with jpg is not realistic.
I love the E-M5 but I still don't think it will beat the apsc for now.
Then compare RAW with RAW - they have those too