Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The 70-200 VR2 is incredibly expensive, but it's also brilliant, perhaps one of the best telephoto zooms ever made. But is it 'better enough' to justify the price over the Tamron? Depends on what you need it for, I guess.

I shoot the Sigma 100-300 f4 on both aps-c and FF, and for higher-speed telephoto I shoot a 180 f/2.8 which is incredible optically, relatively inexpensive and smaller. I don't have anything longer than 300...

You may also want to consider the FF Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 for a wide zoom, I hear it's pretty sweet (never tried one.)
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro Lens Image Quality

In terms of IQ, they are so close I wouldn't even say there is a difference.

04-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro Lens Image Quality

In terms of IQ, they are so close I wouldn't even say there is a difference.
I did a quick trial of a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I (not VR II) against a Tamron 70-200 2.8 on my D90 a couple years ago, and I thought the Tamron won at f/2.8 across the frame, especially at the edges. At f/5.6, they were both about the same. I think the VRII has improved edges over the VR I.

One thing the Nikon brings - very fast AF with it's AF-S implementation. The Tamron can't match it there.

What would I buy? The Tamron. Even with it's older screw AF moving heavy elements, it still focuses fast enough for me on the D700, although will probably miss a few more super-fast-action shots than the Nikon. If I were a pro shooting the Olympics, no question I'd be shooting the Nikon, though.
04-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
I'll play

My friend is asking me why I am getting a Nikon D800 as opposed to Canon 5D. Look at the ISO and FPS, he said.

- I said...I love my pentax, and if ISO is important to me, i cant tell since I have never shot more than 1600, and my K5 already can do 52k.
- if FPS is important to me, I can do 20FPS on my K5 jpeg.

So what is important for me? two things - as a wedding photographer wannabe :
- The ability to crop
- The ability to focus in low light.

So why didnt i buy a Canon earlier? Why buy into the "hype" now? Well...I knew 5Dmk2 was about to be replaced...so I have waited for 5DMk3 for the last year. Thats all Now that its out - I would like to get the highest end, and i think its Nikon, not because of its ISO or its FPS, but again, its ability to crop - which in the case of low budget weddings, is ..important. If i were to take pictures in mansions and castles, i wouldnt have need to crop the occasional weird stuff out of place.

Could I have gotten any other canon or nikon camera? sure. But I heard they wont outresolve a 36MP camera, which is important to me.

...hm. I am not sure , did I answer your question as to why I would like one, and that it isnt hype related, but a conscious decision?

PS: the current AF issues with Nikon has me thinking of waiting until its fixed, or looking into 5DMK3. AF is the main reason for keeping a non Pentax system for me.
Take my inputs as you will (as with any other found on the internet).
My suggestion is to go try out a D800 first before committing.
The 36mp is pretty picky on the conditions for perfectly sharp shoots if shooting and cropping is what you intend to do as you have mentioned above.
If the

I've viewed quite a few samples taken by a friend using the D800 at the local service center as well as the ones on DPR and those on the internet.
When you get no camera shake+perfect AF+no subject shake, the o/p is fantastic.
'Real world use' from the samples I've seen, not always the case......

Not slamming the camera, just suggesting you take a close look/try before putting in the $$$.

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-09-2012 at 10:09 PM.
04-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #49
Veteran Member

@jsherman

ya - i figure because I am getting a camera to make up for K5's focusing speed/accuracy, the lens should be the fastest AF i can get (why stop at a solution halfway, right?)..though while i understand that the VR2 is the fastest out there, i dont know by how much - which is an issue. If i wont be able to notice the difference with a tamron, then of course having to pay less is nice. Again, this is at conditions where i am at ISO 800-1600 in receptions...

@pinholecamera

The issue with the camera shake is interesting...do you have links to real samples? I have heard of this concern..but not too often, that i am neglecting it a little. Something about being very sharp but may miss the actual intended AF point if it was handheld...? With the way its being released, i may actually see all kinds of pro reviews of this camera before even getting a call for my copy. I hope by then the AF issue for its left bank is solved.

04-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote

@pinholecamera

The issue with the camera shake is interesting...do you have links to real samples? I have heard of this concern..but not too often, that i am neglecting it a little. Something about being very sharp but may miss the actual intended AF point if it was handheld...? With the way its being released, i may actually see all kinds of pro reviews of this camera before even getting a call for my copy. I hope by then the AF issue for its left bank is solved.

DPR samples can be a start.
Nikon D800 Preview Samples: dpreview review samples: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

I'll suggest to wait a bit for more enthusiast level feedback before jumping in.
My few cents.
04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The 36mp is pretty picky on the conditions for perfectly sharp shoots if shooting and cropping is what you intend to do as you have mentioned above.
According to the article Motion Bur, Deffraction And Noise Are Not Impacted By Mega Pixel Count, it is the FOV of the lens, not the sensor, that makes for sharper looking shots. You may notice the bur more on a higher MP camera, however, but it is not the cause.
04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
According to the article Motion Bur, Deffraction And Noise Are Not Impacted By Mega Pixel Count, it is the FOV of the lens, not the sensor, that makes for sharper looking shots. You may notice the bur more on a higher MP camera, however, but it is not the cause.

Perhaps so.
I don't claim to know the underlying reason, just observed the end result from samples taken at the service center by a Nikon fan friend and those on the web.
Incidentally, shots in controlled conditions, the shots are very very good (eg. studio still life and portraits).

My friend was considering D800 as a replacement for his D90, but he will sit on the fence a little longer, waiting for more user feedback and samples.

04-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nikon D800 #1 Seller at Amazon for a month now

D800 remains #1 seller at Amazon US for a month now.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Camera-Photo-Digital-SLR-Cameras/zgbs/photo/3017941

Happy Full Frame Shopping !

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I've never seen a full frame dslr in #1 spot.

This hour there are 5 full frame offers, sitting at #1, #5, #14, #16, #18 in Top 20.

Amazon Best Sellers: best Digital SLR Cameras

Great times for full frame shoppers who are voting with their wallets

As a handy reference link here's the compact cameras amazon list, no Pentax in Top 39:

Amazon Best Sellers: best Compact System Cameras

And at this point in time in Japan, BCN says Pentax best seller this week sits at #33:
The Limited Q:

????????????????BCN?????????
04-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
D800 now 5 weeks at #1 on Amazon US

Nikon may drop Canon to #2 in 2012 in USA.

If so, maybe Canon will rethink the $3,500 pricepoint when their next two full frame announcements hit before end of this year. Nikon has another full frame dslr announcement due too.

Canon and Nikon together will offer 8 or 9 full frame dslrs by end of 2012.

I've yet to see 5D III go higher than #5 position at Amazon US and this with an annoying D800 battery recall slowing the sales pace.

D800 remains #1 seller at Amazon US for a month now.

Happy Full Frame Shopping !

Last edited by Samsungian; 04-28-2012 at 05:35 AM.
04-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I've yet to see 5D III go higher than #5 position at Amazon US and this with an annoying D800 battery recall slowing the sales pace.

I don't know for the US. But in Germany, Nikon changed their policy: shipments are now by prepaid end customer orders, not dealer orders. This basically means that Amazon is cut off its supply while this policy is effective.

Therefore, Amazon may soon cease to reflect the real sales volume. Only if the D800 becomes a stock item it will return to do so. Assuming Nikon USA did the same thing.