Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony FF 24MP Alpha 99 prototype info

New Sony Alpha 99 24MP FF prototype in the wild, apparently:

'the prototype has a new kind of 24 Megapixel FF sensor with base sensitivity of 100-25.600 ISO that can be extended to 50 up to 102400...The A99 will use a new generation SLT and OLED viewfinder technology [ie no optical viewfinder]'.
sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR4) A99 prototype has an "All Cross 102 point AF" !
Name:  1332757100874.jpg
Views: 2973
Size:  52.9 KB

A sensor perhaps Pentax might use.

03-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I personally am not a big fan of SLTs. Part of the allure (maybe the biggest draw) of full frame is a bright, big optical viewfinder. This sort of defeats that, although I suppose someday EVFs will be present on basically all cameras.

I would say that this sensor is more likely to be available. Sounds like the D800 sensor is locked up for awhile for just Nikon.
03-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is probably the sensor we would see in a Pentax (and the rumoured D700 mkII update in the fall) and possibly the sensor that will go in a FF Nex if that rumour is true
the trick will be in implementation for Pentax. I'm not a big SLT fan either but realistically with these specs this has potential to be a good action camera as SLT can more easily acheive higher FPS
03-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm cautiously optomistic. I have the A850 at the moment and the VF is outstanding. I haven't used a Sony SLT camera yet, so I'm trying to keep an open mind. I can certainly see some advantages to a fixed mirror/EVF system, and I think as the technology impoves it's possible many people could grow to prefer them. Again, not saying I prefer them as was personally hoping for at least one more FF Sony body with an optical VF, but I'm going to try and keep an open mind

03-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
New Sony Alpha 99 24MP FF prototype in the wild, apparently
Thanks for the news, digesting ...

It's a risky game Sony is playing here. Earlier, a Sony spokesperson commented the D800 with words like "pushing the envelope" and "see how the markets react".

Looks like Sony didn't believe the 36MP would become such a smash hit and bet on maintaining resolution. They gave it to Nikon and did not use it. Lame (however, there is a reason, see below).

At the same time, they bet on SLT. They seem to understand that SLT (in this league) makes no sense if not:

1. EVF has blazingly fast response time (I always say 25ms).
2. fps is high (like 15 if mirror is good up to 11).
3. the AF.C is class leading

The rumor confirms it, with a new 105 sensor AF (Sony was known for mediocre AF.C performance compared to high end Canikon) which is only needed for AF.C; and speak about a "new" EVF.

My own prediction (no rumor, nobody claims it, just by my own deduction) is that fps will be between 10 and 15.

Which in turn explains why Sony couldn't use the 36MP sensor: too slow.

So, in order to make SLT make sense, they are dropping the ball by making a fast and medium rez SLT rather than a medium fast and high rez SLR what seems to be what the market wants.

But I predict failure: I am almost sure the EVF still isn't responsive enough. My 25ms are a very ambitious goal. It requires a 100Hz sensor and very fast processor.

So, the A99 would compete against the D3/4 more than the D800. But this is a tough target. Only very few NPS members will jump ship.

Disclaimer: Analysis based on preliminary information. But it was enough for me to get some "picture" which probably isn't all too false.
03-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the news, digesting ...

It's a risky game Sony is playing here. Earlier, a Sony spokesperson commented the D800 with words like "pushing the envelope" and "see how the markets react".

Looks like Sony didn't believe the 36MP would become such a smash hit and bet on maintaining resolution. They gave it to Nikon and did not use it. Lame (however, there is a reason, see below).

At the same time, they bet on SLT. They seem to understand that SLT (in this league) makes no sense if not:

1. EVF has blazingly fast response time (I always say 25ms).
2. fps is high (like 15 if mirror is good up to 11).
3. the AF.C is class leading

The rumor confirms it, with a new 105 sensor AF (Sony was known for mediocre AF.C performance compared to high end Canikon) which is only needed for AF.C; and speak about a "new" EVF.

My own prediction (no rumor, nobody claims it, just by my own deduction) is that fps will be between 10 and 15.

Which in turn explains why Sony couldn't use the 36MP sensor: too slow.

So, in order to make SLT make sense, they are dropping the ball by making a fast and medium rez SLT rather than a medium fast and high rez SLR what seems to be what the market wants.

But I predict failure: I am almost sure the EVF still isn't responsive enough. My 25ms are a very ambitious goal. It requires a 100Hz sensor and very fast processor.

So, the A99 would compete against the D3/4 more than the D800. But this is a tough target. Only very few NPS members will jump ship.

Disclaimer: Analysis based on preliminary information. But it was enough for me to get some "picture" which probably isn't all too false.
Good analysis. Sony pursuing this part of the market has several flaws. Aside from the ones you point out there ia also their lack of good fast long lenses (sorry but a 15 grand special order lens just doesn't count for much IMO when i canwalk in a big shop and walk out with a canikon (at most waiting a couple of days) and I can rent the canikon lenses too if mine gets damaged.
As for the OLED VF I too doubt 25ms response time. Sony certainly is best positioned to off OLED like this they have been making OLED for longer than anyone else at this point (I remember years back being shown prototypes and being sold the "it's so thin you'll be able to have a wall size TV you can roll up in a tube and take to the cottage" LOL not likely)
03-26-2012, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The DXOMark ranking of the body will also take a hit from any SLT, especially at Sports (High ISO), despite those users ostensibly being the target market for the new camera - hence the improved AF, high FPS etc. But the high-ISO performance of the camera will be compromised by the SLT, hence diminishing the overall appeal of the body as a FF sports shooter.

The position of the SLT A77 in the DXO high ISO scale (at about K-x level) vs the NEX-7 (at about D90 level) using the 24mp APS-C Sony sensor certainly doesn't bode well for the A99, relative to other modern but traditional design FF DSLR's, especially if those traditional FF DSLR's also use the same 24MP FF sensor:

Last edited by rawr; 03-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
03-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The DXOMark ranking of the body will also take a hit from any SLT, especially at Sports (High ISO)
That's true even if the difference "only" is 1/3 or half a stop. That's nevertheless half way between APSC and FF (for the sports score, DR should be ok).

Therefore, the rumors about a FF NEX-9 don't lack a certain inner logic

Except that a FF NEX-9 would be better off with the 36MP sensor.

Maybe, the A99 is a better video camera. 24MP is a good number for realtime 3x3 downsampling in video, something D800 and 5DmkIII don't do. And the SLT AF in video is a unique feature.
03-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't think Sony intends to trump/compete with any high end FF DSLR, be it low light or sports.
It just wants to produce a high paper spec'ed camera targeted at the wealthy layman and electronics consumer as well as boost overall Sony digicam visibility with a high end model. (high FPS; 'high tech' viewfinder ie. EVF)
Plenty of these types in Asia.
All Sony models are well received by the general consumer here in S'pore and Asia in general, where they are still highly regarded as electronics top dog (though actually they made that name from Playstations; TVs; high-fi and walkman)
Sony stores highly present too (not including electronic stores that carry the brand).
So no problems with lenses and camera models.

Nonetheless, a hope that Pentax may use such a sensor.
Perhaps cheaper and less picky (ie. camera shake; lenses) than the 36mp sensor.
03-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Maybe they got burned by the A900 and A850 not selling enough? Those were quite affordable and very high res SLR bodies.