Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
Nokia 808? Won't any P&S do though? I heard the K-5 is relatively quiet too.

Whats the need for it being very quiet?
with respect - you clearly don't do any discrete street or shop shooting, where capturing people in a candid post is the aim.

It's not only about a quiet shutter, but it's also about not being seen to be taking pics. the beauty of the Nokia 808 is that it's a mobile phone. everyone carries a mobile phone about. Unless you're walking through a run down area where you'll get mugged for it, you're not going to attract attention, so having a camera that looks like ( or even is _ a mobile phone ) is a huge benefit for those into discrete snapping.

For regular shoots I use my K-5s and they haev very quiet shutters, but it's irrelevant to a large degree as the size of the camera announces it's presence regardless of shutter volume.

I specifically bought my little Xony TX-5 for descrete shooting simply because it didn't have a P&S sticky out lens and I could hold in manner where I dqueeze the shutter button in my hand discretely and silently. the Nokia 808 when it appears will be an improvement upon the Tx-5 and indeed it will be my next shooting device

04-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I've Ricoh GRD IV and the shutter is practically silent. I think any camera with leaf shutter is next to silent, like x100 etc. But some of them can have shutter problems, just like x100. So you better read up on them.

If you are looking at SLRs then K5 is very quiet, you can't tell a photo has been taken if you are standing 2+ meters away and there's background noise. Combined with a pancake prime and it's a stealthy combo.