Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Well I have the body just sitting there in a box from Amazon waiting for the lenses................. It's a little frustrating.
It would be pure, water boarding torture for me in that circumstance.

04-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

THE BAD

Somebody should sue Fuji for the use of the word "PRO" in the camera name. Its misleading and implies that the thing works to a standard that a professional photographer would expect. Well it doesn't.

A Pro (Well at least this one!) would expect:-

A battery to last longer than 85 pictures.
A Battery meter that didn't go from full to empty in 10 shots, and also had a % indicator to tell me how much was left and how much I was using.
An auto focus system that at least locked onto what it was supposed to EVERY TIME!!!
An auto focus and shutter release system that wasn't so slow that my subject had left the building before the camera took the picture.
A camera that could be used in a quiet environment without gurgling, grinding and chirping away from a combination of focusing noise and those REALLY IRRITATING clicking aperture blades.
A camera that didn't glitch and the screen go black occasionally and had to be turned off and on again.
A camera that if it has frame lines they should be accurate and STRAIGHT!!
A lens that if it has an aperture ring, then it should let you mechanically change and set the aperture, instead of being some cosmetic electronic switch.
A camera that if it has retro styling should make some attempt to include some retro quality instead of being a polycarbonate facsimile.
I really wanted to (maybe) get this camera, but...

The above bolded points disqualify it from consideration for me. One of the main reasons I even moved up to a DSLR from bridge cameras in the first place was the AF - to take a step backwards now would re-introduce some of that old frustration. No thanks.

I wouldn't mind seeing the next version take a step up with regards to AF, or maybe see this sensor in a modern DSLR, but I think I'll take the X-pro1 off my contingency list. I suspect a used K-5 would match it in IQ while beating it in every other performance attribute...

04-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

The above bolded points disqualify it from consideration for me. One of the main reasons I even moved up to a DSLR from bridge cameras in the first place was the AF - to take a step backwards now would re-introduce some of that old frustration. No thanks.
I think we can whip out our D800 or D700 when we want focus speed for now.
04-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind seeing the next version take a step up with regards to AF, or maybe see this sensor in a modern DSLR, but I think I'll take the X-pro1 off my contingency list. I suspect a used K-5 would match it in IQ while beating it in every other performance attribute...

I would take anything posted on Soundplusimage with a HUGE grain of salt. But that said, it's probably not the right camera for you. That doesn't make it a bad camera or you wrong, it's just that particular blog is pure baloney.

04-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It would be pure, water boarding torture for me in that circumstance.
It's not pleasant.................
04-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

One more thing, it's funny how on DPR people are getting between 350-400 shots on their X Pro battery's but this guy gets 85....hmmmmmm...maybe he got a bad battery. It happens, my first two K5's had to be returned because of sensor problems. My X100 had to have the lens assembly replaced. So maybe he got a bad battery? Or maybe.....

Does it focus as fast as a D700, no. But this statement is childish hyperbole: "An auto focus and shutter release system that wasn't so slow that my subject had left the building before the camera took the picture."

Is the IQ better, it's looking that way. There are several reviews out there by actual professional photographers who rate as good or higher than the D700 and 5D MkII.

And BTW- I can confirm it's made of metal not whatever he clearly made up. What a goof. That's the problem with the internet. Look if a professional photographer who has a professional portfolio like Zack Arias writes a review, I'll read it or if an actual photography magazine which has some journalistic creedence writes a reveiw I'll read it. But just some guy who has a camera..........not interested. I could write a blog right now saying the X Pro is the next best thing to God himself/herself............

I'll know for sure tomorrow
04-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are some awfully beautiful photos in that negative review. I think I could put up with some quirks to get those results. The grass is looking pretty green.

04-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If you go here you can see some high iso/low light photos. Nothing to hang in a museum but it will give you some idea of how this camera handles in these circumstances. The photographer and original poster of this thread was going to get an OM-D. Ray is actually a really good photographer so I wouldn't say this is representative of his photos from an aesthetic POV. He had just bought the camera and was testing it out. He happened into a store in NY and bought the Fuji. He's a convert... The photos are about half the way down on Post #60. Somehow the camera managed to focus.... That said, as an X100 user it's probably not a chasing the kids around camera.

The Lord works in VERY mysterious ways.... - Page 6
04-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #24
JHD
Veteran Member

I totally agree. The V-1 radically changed my expectation in that regard. There's no sensor or lens that can substitute for instantanious accurate AF and track at 10FPS.

Carpe articulum!
04-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I can't hold any credibility to calling a thread "
"Fuji x-pro 1 - sad truth"

and then posting a link to a highly subjective 'review'

Why not be honest and entitle the thread appropriately?

Wassup with the Copy and paste btw?
04-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you go here you can see some high iso/low light photos. Nothing to hang in a museum but it will give you some idea of how this camera handles in these circumstances. The photographer and original poster of this thread was going to get an OM-D. Ray is actually a really good photographer so I wouldn't say this is representative of his photos from an aesthetic POV. He had just bought the camera and was testing it out. He happened into a store in NY and bought the Fuji. He's a convert... The photos are about half the way down on Post #60. Somehow the camera managed to focus.... That said, as an X100 user it's probably not a chasing the kids around camera.

The Lord works in VERY mysterious ways.... - Page 6

That 'Ray' is Ray Sachs - he's a very good photographer. I first became acquainted with him when he was featured on -->this site. Of course, that site has featured some real hacks as well.

04-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I totally agree. The V-1 radically changed my expectation in that regard. There's no sensor or lens that can substitute for instantanious accurate AF and track at 10FPS.

Carpe articulum!
It might be more accurate to say"for you there's no sensor or lens..." I suppose all those photographs taken by people like Richard Avedon, William Eggleston, Edward Weston, Harry Callahan, Robert Frank, Weegee, Ansel Adams, Diane Arbus, et al are really bad because they were taken with cameras without instantaneous accurate AF and tracking at 10 FPS. Heck I think Henri Cartier Bresson's camera didn't even auto focus. What a schmuck he is. If he only knew, I'm sure he would have used a Nikon V1 instead of a Leica......

Don't get me wrong I shoot Nikon cameras and I think the V1/J1 are very good cameras. I wouldn't buy one because they aren't what I would be interested, but they are really good cameras.
04-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

That 'Ray' is Ray Sachs - he's a very good photographer. I first became acquainted with him when he was featured on -->this site. Of course, that site has featured some real hacks as well.

Yeah, he's really good. I've learned a lot from him on Serious Compacts. Seems like a super person too!
04-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

BTW- The photos of your kids are just incredible. I don't have any (got divorced young and never remarried) so I think I really missed something.
04-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
JHD
Veteran Member

It might be more accurate to say"for you there's no sensor or lens..."
Or when it comes to shooting anything in motion... There's no sensor or lens that can substitute for instantaneous accurate AF and track at 10FPS. Obviously if it doesn't move, AF speed isn't an issue. That's why I wrote - Carpe articulum! / Seize the moment!

QuoteQuote:
Don't get me wrong I shoot Nikon cameras and I think the V1/J1 are very good cameras. I wouldn't buy one because they aren't what I would be interested, but they are really good cameras.
In spite of the small sensor, it is better than what most people thought. It's cleaner at ISO3200 and has substantially more DR than the K-7.