Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #76
Pentaxian

I didn't make it past the first paragraph. He is comparing it to his DSLR. The XP1 is not a DSLR.

04-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #77
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I didn't make it past the first paragraph. He is comparing it to his DSLR. The XP1 is not a DSLR.
Under the conditions he was shooting, the X-Pro1 was not up to the task... only one keeper in ten.
04-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the issue is that the camera has good high iso performance, but not very good auto focus in those situations. Meaning, I guess, that you can take static photos at high iso, but not "action" photos.

Anyway, as has been said many times, this camera isn't for everyone. Although, I think that particular poster is happy with it in general, just not for low light action shots.
04-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Under the conditions he was shooting, the X-Pro1 was not up to the task... only one keeper in ten.
Oh gee I wish I had read that first before I bought the camera. I'm returning it today.

04-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the issue is that the camera has good high iso performance, but not very good auto focus in those situations. Meaning, I guess, that you can take static photos at high iso, but not "action" photos.
Which has been known since day-one. Nothing new here. I can think of a lot of cameras costing 10X more and cameras in the XP1 class that can't do action either. I suspect to a high-end Nikon shooter none of Pentax cameras is an action camera to them. It's all relative. So anyone buying the XP1 does so for reasons other than action, duh.

Last edited by tuco; 04-12-2012 at 08:09 AM.
04-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #81
JHD
Veteran Member

In any case the title of this thread pretty much says it all, despite the IQ, the XP1 is a severely limited camera. Those wanting something more capable and versatile will have to look elsewhere.
04-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #82
Pentaxian

In any case the title of this thread pretty much says it all, despite the IQ, the XP1 is a severely limited camera. Those wanting something more capable and versatile will have to look elsewhere.
The inference here, and what everyone assumes and judges the camera by, is that is a one camera-does-all solution. It's not. What camera enthusiast has just one camera these days? It should be quit obvious to anyone just wanting one camera for all categories of photography that this is not it. Meanwhile, what pictures you can take with it can be stellar.

04-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Which is fine. I want one, but I need an all in one, so I'm not their target. Perhaps in a generation or two the CDAF and focus speed will be so good that it will be an all around camera. It sure is a neat piece of kit though.
04-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #84
Veteran Member

The inference here, and what everyone assumes and judges the camera by, is that is a one camera-does-all solution. It's not. What camera enthusiast has just one camera these days? It should be quit obvious to anyone just wanting one camera for all categories of photography that this is not it. Meanwhile, what pictures you can take with it can be stellar.
I agree with this satement. It seems to me like its made to be a photographers second, "have fun" camera.
The closest thing we have to a do-it-all camera is still a DSLR.
04-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #85
Veteran Member

From (some nice photos on the site) see link below. Seems like a nice person. He's obviously well paid since he just did a job for Range Rover (photos on this blog) but he took the time to answer quite a few questions from his comments section. The bold and italics on the dancing are mine...

Ummm. Maybe. Ummm. Yes. :: Fuji X-Pro 1 Review • Photography By Zack Arias ? ATL ? 404-939-2263 ? studio@zackarias.com

• Is it worth the money? Yes. But that’s coming from a guy who worked one off right? If you ever lusted after an M9 then this camera is right up your alley. You’ll be all over this camera because compared to $7,000, the $1,699 price tag for the X-Pro1 body is a steal. If you’re rocking a $500 DSLR with a kit lens then it’s a big stretch. There is a place for this camera at this price point in a working photographer’s bag. If you’re just starting out then you’re most likely better off to put your money in your DSLR kit for awhile. If you have a full DSLR kit and you’re looking for that “something” then this camera is that “something” you are looking for.

I’d have no problem pulling this out at wedding or other event. NOT for night time dancing shots but hell, I hate my 5d2 in those situations. Portraits. Getting ready. Detail shots. Yeah. Oh, and the macro mode on the 60mm is awesome. That would be my detail lens. We’re talking about a camera that weighs less than most of your lenses being job worthy and still fit in a large pocket. It’s much quieter than a DSLR and would allow you to look more like a guest than the hired gun when the crazy “NO PICTURES EVAR!!!” church ladies come around. Hand the X to your second and stick them in the third row. Done. I mean. Honor the rules. Don’t ruin it for the next photographer but, ahem, (third row with the quiet non pro looking camera and get the shot) Ahem.

Parting thoughts…

I’ve run through the gamut with this camera both physically and mentally. I’m really glad Fuji gave me the camera as it is missing some paint now. It’s not weather proof but it has been in the rain, had mud slung on it, and held an inch from running water. It’s funny how I wanted it to be what it kind of is but it was a bit of a journey to figure it out. This isn’t the camera you hand to your mom to grab a few shots. I’ve watched very talented photographers pick up my X-Pro1 and sort of scratch their heads after taking a few shots with it. I then explain how you have to stick your tongue out a certain way, stand on your left foot, grab your elbow, and click your heels three times to get the most out of it. When you do all that… angels sing. Really.

I did a job yesterday with this camera along side the Phase. I’d get my main shot with the Phase like this (ISO 50. Lit.)

With the X-Pro1 hanging at my side I would then pull it up for an “available” light shot for a different look. (ISO 800. Lit with the modeling light from a beauty dish. The blue light is daylight mixing in. WB set to tungsten.)

With the small size of the X-Pro1 it can always be on your side. You can shoot with your main camera and then pull something different off without skipping a beat. Having this camera on you isn’t a “commitment” if you know what I mean. Go shoot a 12 hour wedding day with two DSLRs hanging on you and you’ll know what I mean by “commitment”. With an X hanging on one of those BlackRapid SnapR straps it’s the same as having your phone in your pocket. Even though Instagr.am just got bought for a cool billion, ain’t none of us shooting major jobs with an iPhone. This camera however can shoot a job. Unless the job involves bob sledding or toddlers. Or toddlers bob sledding. Get a Nikon for that job.
04-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Which is fine. I want one, but I need an all in one, so I'm not their target. Perhaps in a generation or two the CDAF and focus speed will be so good that it will be an all around camera. It sure is a neat piece of kit though.
I don't think you are not their target as much as Fuji is still learning how to make these kinds of cameras. Fuji still needs to learn that in the eyes of most consumers that performance is an attribute of quality, I feel.

The NEX has gone through multiple generations to get where it's at today. And it's turning out to be really nice. I gave it some serious thought. But it didn't look like a speed daemon in the auto focus department either. These camera companies like to give us stuff in baby steps, it seems.

Last edited by tuco; 04-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
04-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #87
JHD
Veteran Member

The inference here, and what everyone assumes and judges the camera by, is that is a one camera-does-all solution. It's not... Meanwhile, what pictures you can take with it can be stellar.
For less than the price of the XP1 body, I bought two MILC cameras complete with fairly decent kit lenses. A Sony NEX-5n, which delivers IQ on par with the K-5... and you can mount virtually any lens you want on it. As versatile as that is, it's still limiting... So I supplemented it with a Nikon 1 V-1. The V-1 allows me to capture pretty much everything I want that I cannot shoot with the NEX. I'd much rather have ONE MILC that can do it all - than be stuck in a situation with the camera that can't.

For this reason I considered the Fuji, hoping they would have been smart enough to have combined the strengths of both the NEX and V-1 into one. That is why I am disappointed with the XP1. For $1700, I'd expect more.
04-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #88
Pentaxian

That is why I am disappointed with the XP1. For $1700, I'd expect more.
Me too. But I'm gambling they will improve the focus much like they did with the X100. Time will tell. But I shoot more than one camera too so I can take that risk I guess.
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #89
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not understanding the conversation? Most certainly I would not buy Mrs Rupert a D800...or any other DSLR...it is not her kind of camera ( honestly, a phone camera is all she needs). So why is it that some think the X-Pro needs to be all things to all shooters? It obviously wasn't built...(or marketed)...for the purposes in which you would use a DSLR. For its intended purposes, it appears it will excel, as has the X100...and even the little X10.
It 's fair enough to compare it to Leica, I suppose, just don't leave out the prices....but this DSLR comparison doesn't make any sense at all to me?

Regards!
04-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #90
Veteran Member

For this reason I considered the Fuji, hoping they would have been smart enough to have combined the strengths of both the NEX and V-1 into one. That is why I am disappointed with the XP1. For $1700, I'd expect more.

You just have to buy the camera that works for you and stop expecting the companies to make the camera you want. They don't do that. They make the ones they think they can sell. Sometimes that matches what a person wants in a camera some times it doesn't. Fuji clearly is a well run company that has a good idea of who their customers are. You apparently aren't one of them and there is nothing wrong with that. I have no problem with the price tag of the camera or lenses. But that's just me. I wouldn't pay $6000 for an M9 but I would pay $3000. So I just don't get an M9. I currently use a Nikon D700 (admittedly very rarely because it's just too heavy). I had planned on upgrading to their new camera but at 36 MP I just have no interest in it. Oh well. Life goes on. I'm not disappointed though. I just figure Nikon knows what they are doing and I just don't fit in.

I also tried out a NEX 7. Seems like a great camera but they didn't have any lenses I wanted and I have absolutely zero interest in adapting lenses. I think the NEX 5 is actually supposed to be the better camera.

I still maintain that most of these modern digital cameras are good. I use D700, GXR, X100, X Pro, X10, and Sigma DP. I did use MFT for awhile too. I'm probably stopping for the forseeable future with the X Pro, unless Fuji makes a Full Frame X Pro. It just works for me, however it probably doesn't for 99% of the camera buying public though. However, just because something isn't the most popular doesn't make it bad or just because something is very popular doesn't make it the ideal choice for everyone. I'm going to give a month but I've got a buyer for my D700 and Nikon lenses. If after a month I can't find a reason to use it, I'll sell it. It's kind of silly to have a $2000 camera + a bunch of +$1000 lenses just sitting in the closet.