Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax WG-2 competitors

Need alittle help. Trying to get my daughter a camera she can take to surf camp.
Besides the Pentax WG-2, who else makes a comparable product?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

04-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon, Samsung, Panasonic, Kodak - Pretty much anyone with a P&S has a waterproof camera nowadays(Check your local photography shop). Though I must say, the Pentax ones are the nicest I've seen in regards to build quality, as well as optical quality.(Thus the higher price point, I suppose)
04-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks that helps. Didn't realize everyone were making them these days.
04-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are the main competitors:
Canon PowerShot D20 Digital Camera (Blue) 6145B001 B&H Photo
Fujifilm FinePix XP100 Digital Camera (Blue) 16229646 B&H Photo
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Waterproof Digital Camera (Orange) 26293 B&H

In terms of specs, the WG-2 meets or exceeds those of all of these cameras- esp. in terms of the max shutter speed. See our WG-2 review for more details!

Pentax Optio WG-2 Camera Review - Introduction & Video Review - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, this is exactly what I was looking for.
When I was last looking at the WG-2, I was hoping for the price to come down some during the summer so I can pick one up for my daughter.
If i'm spending $399 for the GPS unit, I want to make sure I'm getting her the right product.

btw, I really enjoyed reading your review. However, it's hard to view the sample pictures when they are in the 100% crop window. I would find it easier if you had re-sized the photo's for easier viewing and provided links for downloading the full-sized image for pixel peeping. The video from the rc plane is pretty kool, but gave me motion sickness. Were you flying the plane?
04-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Dpreview tends to run a group test for those yearly. I think in last years' tests Panasonic has done pretty well, Pentax not so much. But many newer ones weren't yet in their test.

Group test: Waterproof Compact Cameras: Digital Photography Review

EDIT: I have actually been planning to get a waterproof P&S camera for quite some time now. After posting the above, I went again through several reviews and online stores. To me it looks that Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 (in Europe -FT3) and Sony TX10 were seen as the best ones in almost every review in 2011. Don't know how the newer models compare, although some user comments for the Nikon on Dpr were less than favorable. So after some consideration I just ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT3 Orange.

Last edited by Raffwal; 04-06-2012 at 03:31 AM.
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Dpreview tends to run a group test for those yearly. I think in last years' tests Panasonic has done pretty well, Pentax not so much. But many newer ones weren't yet in their test.

Group test: Waterproof Compact Cameras: Digital Photography Review

EDIT: I have actually been planning to get a waterproof P&S camera for quite some time now. After posting the above, I went again through several reviews and online stores. To me it looks that Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 (in Europe -FT3) and Sony TX10 were seen as the best ones in almost every review in 2011. Don't know how the newer models compare, although some user comments for the Nikon on Dpr were less than favorable. So after some consideration I just ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT3 Orange.
Very useful info. I noticed on the Panasonic site, they have the new Lumix DMC-TS4 coming in April/May.

04-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Very useful info. I noticed on the Panasonic site, they have the new Lumix DMC-TS4 coming in April/May.
Yes, although some review/preview suggests that very little has changed from TS3 to TS4.
04-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Raffwal, you wouldn't know what a Lumix TS-20 is? it really cheap compared to the TS3/4

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Digital Camera (Orange) DMC-TS20D B&H

Is it an older model? lower spec? it's not even on Panasonic's website.

Been look at the sample shots from dpxxxxxx and the WG-2 shots here. I think the WG-2 seems to be losing on the IQ. It's almost like it's shooting through a plastic bag or something.
I have a really really old Pentax Zoom 90 WR that has sapphire glass and no lens cap and it's always been amazing. Could this be the result of the new mineral glass they are now using?
04-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry, no idea. But I suspect it's some lower spec'd model judged by the price.