Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
High-End fixed lens P&S cameras ?

Hi, my sister is looking for high-end fixed lens P&S camera.
By "high end" I mean able to shoot in raw, and allow manual control of various settings, I guess?

The camera that fit this category and price range are Canon G12, Panasonic LX5, Nikon P7100, Fujifilm X10. Did I missed anything (I do realized Pentax is missing in this segment of the market, Q is not fix lens..)? I don't think she is ready to go into micro4/3 or interchangable lenses camera, she probably don't even have time to process the raw file....but she want something that is "higher" than regular P&S.

What is your experiences in these cameras, or if you have one of these, what lead you to choose it over the others? Hope to hear your experience. Things like memory card, battery, accessories, or nice features that you found really useful, high ISO performance, etc. Hope you can share.

I only recognize one advantage of LX5 over the other - the 24mm equivalent of wide angle lens. For vacation shooters like her might be useful?

Thanks in advance,
Lee

04-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love and own the Panasonic LX2, LX3, LX5 and their twins, Leica D-lux 4 + D-lux 5. They are compact, allow full manual control, extremely reliable (zero problem in five year use) & excellent IQ. I have many images (non flash) from these cameras published.

Yes, LX5 is great for landscape & low light. It has very low noise & great AWB, but the built in flash sucks big time! Fortunatley it has a hot shoe which allow external flash syn.

When traveling overseas, I always carry the Panasonic as it doesn't attract unwanted eyes like Canon & Nikon even it is by no mean a "cheaper" camera.

Last edited by MJL; 04-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.
04-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If macro is not important, the Canon G1x beats the ones you listed in IQ by a lot.
04-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Why not micro 4/3? You can get refurbs with full 1 yr Olympus warranty for a steal from cameta camera - E-pl1 body/lens kits start at $199 (currently out of stock, but they come and go regularly). Bump up the cost to $329 and she could get a current series e-pm1 - great small form factor, easy menus and manual control/raw. Here is a link to their refurbished Olympus Pen series cameras:

Refurbished Olympus Compact ILC Cameras

04-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I posted this over in the Nikon Flickr Forum for a few friends that asked for information on the X10. I remain hugely impressed by this little camera, and have recommended it to several of my friends...not a single complaint so far. Although it will shoot Raw and also has all the other settings we are used to like P A S M, if you just leave it on EXR you will hardly ever have regrets of the result.
The Pro Low Light dial setting is simply amazing for night shots, I know of nothing better for night shooting hand held. Unless you intend large prints (above the 12MP capability) it delivers plenty adequate IQ for most needs or desires. I posted a few sample shots in the thread....
Flickr: Discussing Fuji X10 - A Rupert Review in Nikon DSLR Forum

Regards! Good luck with whatever she gets!
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well.... now each camera gets one vote each...

Pen looks interesting, the very least it has the largest sensor...
04-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Olympus ZX-1 and Sony H9 (actually not sure if the Sony is RAW capable) another vote for m43 (with the tiny 14-42 zoom on it

04-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Add the Canon S100 to that list. It is ridiculously easy to get good results. The external controls aren't the best, but adequate. Only issues are that the lens gets really slow, really fast, and the battery life isn't the greatest.
It's getting a bit older, but the Samsung EX-1 has a nice fast lens, and can be found relatively cheaply. Not so good a high iso as the current compact models though.
The Pens are good value for money - I enjoyed my E-pl1 a lot - the speed of focusing (coming from a D-SLR), and the high iso noise ultimately didn't do it for me.
The newer E-PM1 and E-PL3 are compact, and focused quickly when I tried it in the store.
04-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My Canon S90 gives really really disappointing results, I can't understand the hype around it to be honest. For IQ it performs just as you expect a small sensor camera to perform: poorly.

My father just bought one of those Olympus m4/3's cameras and I liked the jpegs out of it so I'll second the suggestion of a EPM1.
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

FYI, The G1X has a larger sensor than micro 4/3...if I had the cash, that's what I would go for.
04-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I bought the Nikon P7100. I already had Nikon, and this can use my flash, so that ruled out Canon G12 as they're so similar anyway.

I preferred the zoom range (28-200) over the Fuji X10.

So it came down to P7100 (biggest with most control), Canon S95 (smallest with least control), Oly Zx-1 (mix of the other two). I let someone else choose for me as I couldn't decide!

Happy with it so far, actually pleasantly surprised by the results.
04-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It really depends on your needs...

Big sensor? G1X
Big bright viewfinder? Fuji X-10
More zoom? Nikon P7100
Small size? Canon S95
Great IQ? Olympus XZ-1, and any of the above.
All of the above? A PEN with a VF2 viewfinder and various lenses.
04-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
Banned

Panasonic Lumix ZS20

Panasonic Lumix ZS20 if you want the best quality video up to 1080p60 with 24 – 480 mm eqiv zoom in a compact body with GPS. It is 56% thinner and weighs 61% less than the Canon GX 1 that only has 1080p24 and a 28–112mm (35mm equivalent ) lens.
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix ZS20 14.1 MP High Sensitivity MOS Digital Camera with 20x Optical Zoom (Black): Electronics
04-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well this thread sure cleared things up! LOL :P
04-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

OK, I retract my sarcasm. After reading Rupert's review and a couple of others, that little X-10 seems to rock! Not really my shooting style, and I just shot my camera expense account on a new film setup. But it's tempting anyway. I get a lot of people asking me about the best P&S to buy, amd never know what to tell them. Now I know something they should probably take a serious look at.