Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Not Pentax but i believe it fits this thread the best and it can take Pentax lenses with an adapter.

QuoteQuote:
Holy cow. What if I told you BlackMagic Design was introducing a 2.5K resolution, 13-stop dynamic range, RAW-shooting (with format-agnostic ProRes/CinemaDNG/DNxHD options), Thunderbolt-connected, built-in touchscreen LCD, SSD-recording camera that comes with the new version of Resolve 9 color correction software… all for $3,000? You’d say, “what’s the catch?” Looks like the only catch is a 15.6 mm x 8.8 mm (active) sensor size, which makes it a S16 camera, not a S35. Still, for that price and with those options — this is a seriously disruptive camera and one that targets the HDSLR space perfectly.
BlackMagic Design’s Cinema Camera is a 2.5K RAW Shooter with Built-in Monitor and Recorder for $3K - NoFilmSchool

So what do you think, the D800 and 5D mark III are in the same price range so which of the three would you get

04-16-2012, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
D0n
Banned

this is what Pentax should look at when they set out to update the k-01
04-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, if only the K-01 was a bit more serious video camera i think it would have been great in his own right though for that price but it doesn't even support HDMI during video...
but this a different beast though, the sensor was made for filming and not photography and that makes a big difference.
04-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hands on
Blackmagic Cinema Camera – Let’s take it from the top | johnbrawley

04-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankly- this is something that Pentax could have done- created a dedicated film camera that takes into account all the woes of working with still cameras that have added video features. They're always going on about doing something different- this is different, and deals with the needs of a market segment that's clamoring for attention yet has been (fairly) ignored up until recently. Look at the entire secondary market that has sprung up in accessories and devices to try and get around the short-comings of DSLR video- I would say that shows a need and a viable market.

It will also grow: users get into video with their DSLR with video features, and want to push what they can do, they'll be looking for a camera upgrade for film, and BlackMagic has created that camera for the prosumer, unlike Canon with the $10,000 DSLR for film.

Stop making Llego cameras, Pentax- make a kick-ass 35mm sensor K-mount for-videography camera!
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
D0n
Banned

it has no evf..... it looks like a brick... it is not full frame, if it were made by pentax, everybody would be hating it... lol!
04-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
it has no evf..... it looks like a brick... it is not full frame, if it were made by pentax, everybody would be hating it... lol!
Good one XD
Most here will indeed hate it but should they give a sh*t?
04-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But Pentax is not a film company they will always threath it as an after thought, photography comes first.
I wouldn't mind if they would create a K-01 like camera with a 3mp sensor specially for filming, they might win some souls with it.
They won't be able to do RAW video with it if they will stick with SD cards though but if they provide clean HDMI out that would be good enough and keep the price down.

04-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
But Pentax is not a film company they will always threath it as an after thought, photography comes first.
I wouldn't mind if they would create a K-01 like camera with a 3mp sensor specially for filming, they might win some souls with it.
They won't be able to do RAW video with it if they will stick with SD cards though but if they provide clean HDMI out that would be good enough and keep the price down.
Pentax and Ricoh BOTH have had video cams in the past. Kodak invented digital imaging, then decided they were a film company.... and ignored digital until digital killed film.... where'd that get them? the convergence I was predicting years ago is here... Pentax needs to get a serious pro camera that does both video and stills at a pro level... and the k-01 is a step in the right direction... but what comes next had better have raw output through hdmi and a thunderbolt port....... Pentax would be wise to take a few prime lenses as well and come out with a cinema series of lenses.. take the old "M" or "A" 50mm1.4, and add a geared ring around the outside, then add a, optional rack focus knob to it... repeat with a couple of the ltd's..... a bigger "touch screen" on back as well...
04-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
serious pro that does video and photo is a problem.
The 5d markIII and D800 might look nice but for video there are some problems and all the line skipping with the sensor is no help for the image quality.

I think that nikons idea is the best, photo first and just make a clean output so that you can record high quality video that's the cheapest and makes the most sense also price wise if you want to advertise it as photography camera as well. Doubt many that want to have a camera also want to fork a grand extra for the extra video stuff they don't use.
And please no thunderbolt, i was happy to see the upcoming processor used for the Prime has USB3 support on the list. Also thunderbolt is getting replaced by the optical version this year so... why does the BMC even have it, does it output video over it?
It's much faster to disconnect the SSD and connect it with eSATA directly.

To be honest i'm more up for the idea for video camera though like those Sony NEX video camera's but then better.

About the lenses they could also include focus by wire, they already have the SDM/DC so why not use it as well to manual focus?
Maybe that might work better as focus puller thing.
04-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #11

I guess they figured if Marc Newson could do an ugly camera they could do one too. seriously though 12bit RAW video. The sensor size is a bit under m4/3. I guess the cost saving came from that. could be a PITA for getting EF/ZF wide angles to work with it unless they have interchangeable lens mounts in the wings. Word on the floor form NAB is thye have the sensor and the SSD memory back to back and that is causing over heating issues, but they were not worse than the 5/7D problems. I got to hold one in my hands back stage one evening and it is a chunk, but with the right support rig it could be hand held. The touch screen could be a bit of a usability problem .... but with 12 bit RAW, and a copy of Davinci and the scopes out of the box ..... I could live with some issues in certain production settings
04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
It has no EVF since you hook the HDMI out to a real monitor.

It is not full frame since it's a Cine 16 video camera. And that's all the quality you need to meet broadcast standards.

Thinking that Pentax could ever come close to this camera when they have demonstrated exactly zero ability in video is well into the realm of fantasy.

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
I guess they figured if Marc Newson could do an ugly camera they could do one too.
But instead they designed this, which is both very practical and a work of art.

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
I got to hold one in my hands back stage one evening and it is a chunk, but with the right support rig it could be hand held.
It's the smallest such camera in existence and you describe it as though it was over-sized!

Pretty bad showing from the Pentax fanboys in this thread.
04-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well a lot has happened.

They have brought out a MFT version as well, which seems to be much better suited for the Super16 sensor, now if only the mount was an active one...

And over 2 months a fullHD pocket version with active MFT mount is hitting the selves.

And 4k version with a super35 (almost FF) sensor and a new shutter.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/its-official-blackmagic-two-new-camera/
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/nab-video-blackmagic-4k-pocket-cameras/
04-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
nice ... 16mm sensor with EF mount was quite confusing
04-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed, but in all honesty i'm more interesting in the MFT version, just hoping they will re-release it with an active MFT mount.

It appears that the compact has almost the same sensor and with it small size you could get some very interesting shots.