Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Leaving Pentax?

For NEX-5N, it seems...

Now this is not a Pentax bashing thread - I love my K-5. I love many of the wonderful Pentax lenses I've used - the FA77, FA31, FA* zooms, A* beauties, etc they are great lenses and often great value for money in any system (especially the primes). But, the NEX is just so damn easy, small, light. No charm, i know, it's a utilitarian box. But a damn good one. Now I have beautiful lenses for it too and its MF support makes using them a charm. The only reason I have kept justifying keeping Pentax has been AF especially with birding. But it's time to face up to the fact that I am no birder and an occasional trip to the wetlands does not justify keeping an expensive system when we have a mortgage and a young family to raise. Besides the allure of VF is not so great - I find I am much better at composing a shot looking at a screen.

So what should I do, folks? Is it really time to let go of Pentax and the world of SLRs and go over to the dark side of EVIL cameras?

04-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it sounds like for you the nex 5 may be the solution, I tried one though and was less than impressed for the way i shoot (I really prefer a VF) Have you tried the NEX 7? It was a little better (the VF being basically as good as it gets for EVF) but I still struggled with the camera when I tried it
04-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
For NEX-5N, it seems...

Now this is not a Pentax bashing thread - I love my K-5. I love many of the wonderful Pentax lenses I've used - the FA77, FA31, FA* zooms, A* beauties, etc they are great lenses and often great value for money in any system (especially the primes). But, the NEX is just so damn easy, small, light. No charm, i know, it's a utilitarian box. But a damn good one. Now I have beautiful lenses for it too and its MF support makes using them a charm. The only reason I have kept justifying keeping Pentax has been AF especially with birding. But it's time to face up to the fact that I am no birder and an occasional trip to the wetlands does not justify keeping an expensive system when we have a mortgage and a young family to raise. Besides the allure of VF is not so great - I find I am much better at composing a shot looking at a screen.

So what should I do, folks? Is it really time to let go of Pentax and the world of SLRs and go over to the dark side of EVIL cameras?
I'm assuming your keeping you're Pentax lenses? I say go for it. Come back over when Pentax comes out with a camera you like (or Ricoh releases the rumored K-mount module)
04-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it sounds like for you the nex 5 may be the solution, I tried one though and was less than impressed for the way i shoot (I really prefer a VF) Have you tried the NEX 7? It was a little better (the VF being basically as good as it gets for EVF) but I still struggled with the camera when I tried it
Of course it is small and every now and then I inadvertently trigger the video button (it's a NEX-5n, btw), the ergonomics are nowhere near as good as on the K-5 and no weather sealing either, but... it is small, even pocketable with some lenses, not in your face when shooting candids which I do a fair bit. And I can even manage street shots with it whereas I would never dare with a K-5. Hmmm....

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'm assuming your keeping you're Pentax lenses? I say go for it. Come back over when Pentax comes out with a camera you like (or Ricoh releases the rumored K-mount module)
Not sure if I can afford to keep them, but a K-module on Ricoh? Ricoh M-module also works really well with the M-mounts from Zeiss, hmmm... Very tempting.... Excellent quality AF and superb MF on the same body.... Not I just need to take out a second mortgage!

04-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote

Not sure if I can afford to keep them, but a K-module on Ricoh? Ricoh M-module also works really well with the M-mounts from Zeiss, hmmm... Very tempting.... Excellent quality AF and superb MF on the same body.... Not I just need to take out a second mortgage!
If it is priced like the M module and body it will cost in the range of a cheap K5, thouh adding the EVF will bring it up. It's the M module that will drive you to the poorhouse though
04-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sounds like a worthwhile switch to me, even if it ends up working less well than you hoped, the 5n still won't keep you from taking pictures.

It has been my experience, too, that one can always come back. Life goes on, changes happen, both in personal interests+finances and the world of photographic technology. Go with what works for you.
04-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Plus 1 ^^^^^
in the end all cameras are just the tool and you can achieve good results even with a holga as long as you work around the limitations.

BTW Shooting streets with a K5 (or K7) shouldn't be imposing (particularly with a small limited lens).

the nex does have the value of being more P&S in appearance though with a pancake on it so people won't be as intimidated. Huge cameras have the same effect now (like my Bronica 645 with a WL finder) people don't take them seriously anymore. As long as it doen't look like a Big Canon with a 70-200 on it it's not a pro camera

04-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've seen some of your 5N shots and you're getting good results. I just bought a second hand 5N and I'm very impressed with the MF. My son was just born, and we're in the hospital still. I haven't taken the K5 out yet. I've just been using the NEX with my 55 1.2, DA21 and DA70. I don't see myself giving up the K-5 for it though, you'll lose a lot of capability. The NEX doesn't support radio triggers, doesn't have a hot shoe(though you can trigger off the attached flash of course), doesn't balance with longer lenses off tripod, the AF of the body is slow, the ergonomics are poor, not good for sport-like activity, etc. It's a wonderful platform for adapting small primes though, and you could still bird with it on a tripod with some success I'd wager.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-30-2012 at 11:14 AM.
04-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Do what you want. I'd probably buy a little cam like you as an addition system to my dslr IF it ran on 2 AA batts. But i only shoot cams that run on 2 or 4 AA's. So I wont move.
04-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I too like NEX and wanted to get one but somehow didn't find any good lens options, especially something to replace FA77 & FA35. Any third party lens with adapter will make it as big as DSLR and whole advantage of small and compact system is gone.
04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I too like NEX and wanted to get one but somehow didn't find any good lens options, especially something to replace FA77 & FA35. Any third party lens with adapter will make it as big as DSLR and whole advantage of small and compact system is gone.
The 50mm 1.8 is a pretty good performer, supposedly. My DA70 and DA21 don't make it too big(about the size of the kit lens), though I wonder if there are any good M-mount options that don't cost a ton. Did they make the Jupiter 9 in L39?

Samyang lenses, designed for e-mount, with auto focus, are in development.

Last edited by kenafein; 04-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
04-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The 50mm 1.8 is a pretty good performer, supposedly. My DA70 and DA21 don't make it too big(about the size of the kit lens), though I wonder if there are any good M-mount options that don't cost a ton. Did they make the Jupiter 9 in L39?

Samyang lenses, designed for e-mount, with auto focus, are in development.
with the nex you could get the jupiter in Kiev/Contax mount as well with the right adapter - and I believe they sell for less than the m42 ones
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After selling me a K-5 and replacing it with one of your own, there is a lot about Pentax you already like, Daniel.
You know the K-01 will be out in Australia soon and with your existing K-mount lenses, they'll work just fine with it. And if you have any Ltd lenses, there you have one of the most compact APS-C setups you can ever get.
But all the best in your decision. There's a lot of good things about the NEX, so get what suits you and your situation. And do chime here in every once in a while.
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
with the nex you could get the jupiter in Kiev/Contax mount as well with the right adapter - and I believe they sell for less than the m42 ones
I think Contax mount is about the same registration distance as K-mount/M42. Yusuf was looking for smaller options, but Contax mount does open you up to all those Zeiss lenses. There are a few pancakes for L39 that would remain tiny with that slim adapter.
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I think Contax mount is about the same registration distance as K-mount/M42. Yusuf was looking for smaller options, but Contax mount does open you up to all those Zeiss lenses. There are a few pancakes for L39 that would remain tiny with that slim adapter.
Contax RF mount not SLR mount (the Contax S is an m42x1 mount)
2 different things

Contax RF is 34.85
Leica Screw (LTM) is 28.8

Jupiter 9 comes in both AFAIK

Zeiss RF use Leica M mount - 27.95

all these will work on a nex or m4/3